January 29, 2010
Beason makes Pro Bowl after all
Panthers linebacker Jon Beason, who was upset by being snubbed by not being selected to the Pro Bowl, is headed to play in the game in Miami on Sunday after all.
Beason has been named to replace San Francisco inside linebacker Patrick Willis, who's been sidelined this week by an injury.
Beason, a Pro Bowler last year, had been named a second alternate. The first alternate at inside linebacker, London Fletcher, already had been added to the roster.
Beason joins three Panthers teammates in the game -- defensive end Julius Peppers, running back DeAngelo Williams and center Ryan Kalil, who also was added as an alternate.
-- Charles Chandler
Posted by Observer Sports on January 29, 2010 at 03:32 PM | Permalink
Posted by: JB | Jan 29, 2010 4:12:48 PM
He wasn't the only one that was upset. Willis is great, but Beason is 1A in my opinion.
Posted by: Paul | Jan 29, 2010 4:47:54 PM
And things are as they should be....
Posted by: Curtis | Jan 29, 2010 4:48:21 PM
Beason stated on sportstalk radio that he would not accept the invite if he ended up getting in as an alternate. Everyone on the show really ragged him about it, but he said he wouldn't go out of principle. I wonder if he changes his mind. Hope so.
Posted by: jed | Jan 29, 2010 4:58:29 PM
Going where he deserves to be!!! YEAH BEAS!
Posted by: JMW | Jan 29, 2010 5:11:38 PM
Where is Jonathan Stewart???? :) He should be the first one there.the reason we won those last games was because of him and Matt Moore.He was running over and trough people.He is more like Michael Turner RB!!!
Posted by: denis | Jan 29, 2010 6:52:54 PM
I'm glad he was chosen and I'm glad he has gone...
Show them what snubbing you in the first place looks like!!!!!
Posted by: Jennifer | Jan 29, 2010 9:28:40 PM
2nd alternate? Really?? Wow.
Does getting into the pro bowl this way trigger contract clauses and incentives? What if a player is selected and decides not to go? Does he still get the bonus?
Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 30, 2010 1:42:24 AM
Seriously this is ridiculous. The NFL's choice to move the already dumb pro-bowl BEFORE the superbowl not even at Hawaii was just stupid.
1.) Superbowl players can't or don't want to go
2.) No player cares about Miami, come on
3.) Its still too soon for probowl players from the playoffs (or reg season) who are nicked up and may wanna just skip out. And since the vast majority of the players are from said playoff teams, we end with a second a third "alternate" as the starter.
Beason should have been voted in as a starter, but still the whole pro bowl is just dumb
Posted by: Gamble20 | Jan 30, 2010 3:52:29 AM
on a side note, its pretty cool we've had at least 4 probowlers in 6 of 7 years. We are spoiled compared to teams like the rams.
Posted by: Gamble20 | Jan 30, 2010 3:54:14 AM
Gamble20 has a great point. Off by one year (only had three in 2007 and 0 in 2008), but a great point none the less. Here they are:
4 in 2010 LB Jon Beason, C Ryan Kalil, DE Julius Peppers, RB DeAngelo Williams
4 in 2009 LB Jon Beason, OT Jordan Gross, DE Julius Peppers, WR Steve Smith
0 in 2008 None
3 in 2007 DT Kris Jenkins, DE Julius Peppers, WR Steve Smith
4 in 2006 QB Jake Delhomme, DE Julius Peppers, WR Steve Smith, G Mike Wahle
4 in 2005 LB Mark Fields, LB Dan Morgan, WR Muhsin Muhammad, DE Julius Peppers
4 in 2004 RB Stephen Davis, DT Kris Jenkins, DE Mike Rucker, P Todd Sauerbrun
Posted by: Superman Wears 89 | Jan 30, 2010 3:08:00 PM
i always said kalil is one of the best young centers in football.im glad the pro bowl committee was listening.
Posted by: raydaz | Feb 1, 2010 1:30:45 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.