« Panthers finish 8-8 with win over Saints | Main | Postgame Q&A »

January 03, 2010

Fox won't say if he wants to return

John Fox was noncommittal Sunday about whether he wants to remain coach of the Carolina Panthers.

Speaking after his team’s third consecutive win, a 23-10 victory over New Orleans at Bank of America Stadium, Fox said he’d soon begin evaluating his plans for the future.

The Observer reported last week that the Panthers do not intend to fire Fox, but that they also have no plans to extend his contract, leaving him with one year remaining and putting him a potential lame-duck situation in 2010.

If head-coaching opportunities arose elsewhere, Fox might be interested if he could get freed from the final year of his contract.

Asked if wants to be back next season, Fox said:

“I’m kind of not totally done with today. Like every offseason, there’s evaluations and things you look at. I usually talk to my family and see where all that goes. We’re just getting started with that, so I can’t really comment at this point.”

Fox also wouldn’t say whether he was willing to coach in the final year of his contract.

“Much past today, I’d just like to get through this day and we’ll see where everything goes after that.”

Fox said he has meetings planned with players tomorrow and coaches on Tuesday before taking about a week off.

He said he didn’t have a timetable on when he’d like his job situation to be resolved.

“Sometime after today,” he said.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on January 3, 2010 at 05:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

Please resign this week John Fox. You ruined this year with your stubborness and refusal to bench Delhomme. PLEASE QUIT before someone else hires Cowher!!

Posted by: randy | Jan 3, 2010 5:13:58 PM

Fox made "the" mistake of sticking with his starting QB. Not that he's a bad coach. If we lose 2 of the last 3 games with Moore playing well, then I would say yes he's a bad coach because he just can't put together a winning game plan even with a good QB. That is not the case tho. He coached this team to 2 very outstanding wins against opponents who had a lot to play for.

Posted by: PantherPat | Jan 3, 2010 5:20:16 PM

Seriously you are LUCKY you were not run out on a rail after another dissapointment filled season Fox, if you want to be coy about coming back then go ahead do everyone a favor and leave. At least the fans will have hope of a consistenty winning team and being able to win when it counts.

Posted by: Ellrod | Jan 3, 2010 5:21:17 PM

There are no guarantee's that the next coach is going to be better. We can always second guess Fox's decision, but at the end of the day he got it right. Later than we would have liked, but who to say Moore would have been ready week four. I am pleased with how the season and pumped about the 2010-2011 year.

Posted by: cheerman23 | Jan 3, 2010 5:27:32 PM

Whatever Fox does, he better make up his mind soon. I don't want Cowher to be swallowed up by some team and THEN Fox decides he wants to leave. Nope, better not happen.

Posted by: Quintin | Jan 3, 2010 5:33:22 PM

Its the end of the world, bring back Seifert!

Posted by: Ashe | Jan 3, 2010 5:36:53 PM

Yeah...let's run a coach out of town for an 8-8 record with 14 key players on Injured Reserve. We here in Charlotte has such intelligent fans. No coach is going to come in here and keep Matt Moore, anyways. Keeping Fox is the only move. I would not be surprised to see a team really make a play for him. He would be a STRONG fit somewhere like Cleveland...and we might be sorry a year or two from now if he is not here....

Posted by: Baby Boi | Jan 3, 2010 5:37:09 PM

Im sure everyone is for the big name coaches, Shannahan, Cowher, etc. but just think for a second.

Hiring a new coach would be a step backwards. Just as it took time to get to know Meek's system, it may take even longer if Cowher (or whatever new guy comes up) decides to clean house.

Just be content with Fox. Next season appears to be looking good for the Panthers

Posted by: random commentor | Jan 3, 2010 5:39:04 PM

you all make me sick. If I weighed my job future against the trash that gets thrown around by the nobodies on this board who think they could do my job better, then I would have resigned the year following our super bowl appearance. You all want my head on a silver platter because I went with a PROVEN veteran over a young, inexperienced backup... REALLY??? I talked to Bill Cowher the other day, said he would of stuck with delhomme all season too. So did sean payton, mike smith, brad childress, mike tomlin... (i could keep going here...) Would you of wanted them fired??? your welcome for the dominating running game and solid defenses i've bestowed on your franchise. Your welcome for julius peppers, thomas davis, chris gamble and jon beason. Next year you'll be thanking me for everette brown, too. But by then, i'll be coaching elsewhere and you'll be treading in mediocrity... at least march madness is just around the corner... cheers.

Posted by: John Fox | Jan 3, 2010 5:40:26 PM

Fox is the single person to blame for us not being in the playoffs. He is a joke. You who think there are jobs out there waiting on him are kidding yourself. He is not well thought of in the league. Moore will be the QB next year, but that means that Jake will make close to 800,000 a game to sit the bench. OK with me!!!

Posted by: FIRE_FOX!!!! | Jan 3, 2010 5:41:32 PM

If Fox leaves, and I hope he stays, maybe Meeks will get the head coaching job he wanted in Indianapolis. Obviously the players took well to him and he has them playing very inspired (on the defensive side of the ball). So it wouldn't be a terrible thing to have to hire another D-Coordinator when the last one is the main man lol. I think Meeks would have both sides of the ball playing faster and more aggressive, even late in games like today's.

I hope Fox comes back, but if he doesn't, then thanks for the Good times that we would have not known had you not been here. Thanks for helping make the Panthers a team that cannot be laughed at. Thanks for bringing in the GREAT talent the team is now laced with.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 3, 2010 5:46:39 PM

He won't go anywhere. He's only had 3 years in 8 with a losing record. Has also had 3 years in 8 with a winning record. Why go anywhere else?he has the local reporters eating out of his hands, no tough questioning, no arguing his stubbornness. He has everyone "coaching" scared about losing him now. He'll get an extension, probably larger than he deserves.

Posted by: Rudeboyardee | Jan 3, 2010 5:46:45 PM

John fox, we can thank seifert for peppers, not you.

Posted by: Rudeboyardee | Jan 3, 2010 5:49:13 PM

I meant he (Meeks) get's the Head Coaching job here, he left Indianapolis because he didn't get it.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 3, 2010 5:50:09 PM

The Panthers got lucky.
They'll get wiped out next round.

Posted by: Smegal | Jan 3, 2010 5:51:17 PM

John Fox is the best coach this team ever had. The fact that he was able to keep a non playoff team motivated and focused, down the stretch, speaks volumes for the quality of the team as well as the coach and the team's respect for him. It was a rough year with all the injuries, and okay, some questionable decisions, but at the end of the day, the Panthers organization showed what they're made of. I firmly believe that Peppers played his last game as a Panther, but that's another subject. Give the team and the coaches the credit they deserve for finishing out the season at .500. I hope John Fox signs a new contract. I'd hate to see another team get this quality coach.

Posted by: 4theCats | Jan 3, 2010 5:53:16 PM

One word....Holmgreen

Posted by: FireJake | Jan 3, 2010 5:55:27 PM

You guys are idiots. John Fox for the win. I'll make a larger post on my blog later >:O

Posted by: Revshawn | Jan 3, 2010 5:56:11 PM

FireJake please tell me you're joking. If you watch football then you know he just went to the Browns organization.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 3, 2010 5:58:00 PM

Ron Meeks FTW!

Posted by: Panthers Super Fan | Jan 3, 2010 6:02:17 PM

That too Super Fan.

Posted by: Revshawn | Jan 3, 2010 6:05:59 PM

Foxie is tired of this wine and cheese small market city. Now youz can't get him back. Charlotte, you don't deserve this team or its coach. Backwoods city full of illegal's and yankee imports. Mr. Richardson, move this team to Kings Mtn. where it was originally intended to be before you get jacked by one of those downtown thugs.

Posted by: stork302 | Jan 3, 2010 6:07:17 PM

I hope he announces on Tuesday that he is moving on. Maybe he will take Jake with him. The Carolina Panthers will be just fine without the stubborn s.o.b.

Posted by: billyballs | Jan 3, 2010 6:18:25 PM

I'm not up to date on what FTW means. Do I need to defend my post or do you agree?

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 3, 2010 6:19:29 PM

Fox first (if he wants to stay). Gruden next (similar to Fox, he took a 9-7 team and led them to a Super Bowl behind an older unknown QB, then continued succeed, never having a star QB, WR, or RB). Cowher and Dungy's success could largely be attributed to their star QBs and WRs.

Posted by: JW | Jan 3, 2010 6:20:55 PM