« Stewart back at practice, but Williams still out and doubtful to play vs. Saints | Main | Saturday's Carolina Panthers links »

January 01, 2010

Panthers promote Ivy, put Smith on IR

The Panthers have signed linebacker Mortty Ivy from their practice squad to fill the roster spot vacated by wide receiver Steve Smith, who was placed on injured reserve today due to the broken arm he suffered in last week's game against the New York Giants.

Ivy, an undrafted rookie from West Virginia, has been on the practice squad all season.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on January 1, 2010 at 01:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

Why not bring up Dexter Jackson off the practice squad to see what he can do? With Smith out we'll be going with Muhammad, Kenny Moore and Charlie Martin. Please don't tell me they are planning on giving Dwayne Jarret some playing time. There is no way that guy will be on the team next year, so why waste a chance to see what Jackson can do by playing Jarret.

Posted by: FireFox | Jan 1, 2010 5:41:38 PM

Jarrett isn't a bust Firefox. Nobody can produce if not given a chance. The reason Jake had 18 pics is because he forces the ball to Smith and won't throw to anyone else. Jarrett had 41 TD in college, the guy just needs someone to throw him the damn ball!

Posted by: cchhotdog | Jan 1, 2010 7:47:29 PM

I think it's more of an effort thing with Jarrett, I don't think he wants to be in Carolina period. Assuming from the articles I've read about him, the skills (except for speed) are decent. He just doesn't work as hard as others.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 8:02:59 PM

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 8:03:00 PM

sorry didn't mean to post the last one twice...

But I think it's important to see what other LB's can do due to the fact that Diggs is getting older and Johnson seems to be the defensive version of DJ Hackett.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 8:26:31 PM

Simon, I don't think there's anything wrong with Jarretts effort, I think he's like a big block chevy. Once you get them rolling, they'll fly. But they're like a snail till they get started. The wide reciever spot just requires to much acceloration at the NFL level. College maybe, but the NFL, No.

Posted by: stork302 | Jan 1, 2010 8:32:00 PM

Stork302, that is a good point. The kid is very slow, but a possession receiver doesn't need much speed to succeed. Let's not forget he was suppose to replace Moose, who at the age of 34 isn't the fastest yet gives an undeniable effort and you can see it on Sunday's, regardless of stats.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 8:47:24 PM

Jarrett drops passes and he isn't smart enough to learn how to run routes. Time to cut him loose.

Posted by: Ron | Jan 1, 2010 8:58:02 PM

Simon, I think thats what they're planning on doing with all these huge tight ends we have. (possesion). We've got to have a couple of speed demons for the other side of smitty. As soon as Pep is gone, we can afford some lightning bolts.

Posted by: stork302 | Jan 1, 2010 9:09:46 PM

Ron, I think he's definetly outta here. I can't wait to see who becomes our deep threat next year. Now that we have a QB that can throw the deep ball without winding up like Sandy Kofax. For all you youngins, he was a hard throwing big league pitcher.

Posted by: stork302 | Jan 1, 2010 9:14:48 PM

Yeah as far as other receivers being brought in, I have to agree with some of those who posted in the past. I would like to see the Panthers get their hands on Golden Tate from NDame.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 10:01:05 PM

I'd also love to get Golden Tate aka Steve Smith Jr. however if we can't get him, I wouldn't mind getting Eric Decker from Minnesota or Dez Bryant from Oklahoma State. A lot of people have forgotten these guys because they've been out(Decker with injury, Bryant because the NCAA sucks) but they'd both really help the Panthers.

Posted by: Reid | Jan 1, 2010 10:40:00 PM

Yeah I like the kid Eric Decker too, he would be a nice pick up. I think that Bryant will be gone before we get a chance to pick though. In my opinion the future is looking bright with a few tweaks here and there. 2010 should be the year Carolina does what we know they can.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 10:53:02 PM

Yeah Decker would be a nice pick up. Bryant would be too but I think we won't have a chance at him. I'm excited about our chances next year. With a few tweaks here and there, the skies the limit for this team.

Posted by: Simon Says | Jan 1, 2010 10:56:43 PM

I like D.Bryant and E.Decker but I think Marty Gilyard from Cincinnati would be a better and more reasonable selection for our 2nd Round pick. The guy is explosive and can return kicks as well. I like his upside.

Posted by: Big Ben | Jan 2, 2010 9:50:14 AM

if we do get rid of peppers, maybe we will have the $$ go after a wr in free agency and dwayne jarrett will be an after thought, people around the league will have all but forgotten who he played for in 2-3 years. after sean gilbert i can't think of a bigger bust in franchise history (considering we spent a 2nd round pick on him, at least we also got kalil, from thew same school, in the same round of the same draft)

Posted by: DWAYNE | Jan 2, 2010 12:19:52 PM

If Tim Tebow is available when the Panthers draft in the second round, they must draft him. With his intangibles and running ability, imagine what more he could bring to the Panthers offense. Tony Dungy said if he was involved with this year's draft, he would select Tim Tebow before any other QB.

As for WR, my friend from Bowling Green told me the Panthers should give WR Freddie Barnes a serious look. He's got adequate speed, good hands, and playmaking ability. He just made 155 catches in a single season, beyond insane.

Posted by: Al | Jan 2, 2010 4:35:24 PM

Dwayne Jarrett the second biggest bust behind Sean Gilbert? You've got to be kidding me. Have you forgotten about DE Jason Peter, RB Tim Biakabutuka (who I personally loved for always fighting back from injury), WR Rae Carruth (his name makes me cringe), FS Rashard Anderson, RG Bruce Nelson (a 2nd rounder), and RB Eric Shelton?

Posted by: Al | Jan 2, 2010 5:12:30 PM

Yeah Jarrett isn't that big of a bust because you don't pay as much for a second rounder as a first rounder. The real busts came in the early years of the Panthers when we had busts in the first round (Biakabatuka, Rashard Anderson, Jason Peter), Rae Carruth being the obvious worst choice ever (though who could have seen that coming?). I will say this for Hurney/Fox: they do a good job with the first round pick.

Posted by: Elizabeth | Jan 2, 2010 11:20:12 PM

Keep Peppers, no matter what!

Posted by: Jim | Jan 3, 2010 4:13:31 PM

It will be great to watch Carolina Panthers, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/Carolina_Panthers-tickets looking forward to it.

Posted by: Maroussia | Mar 4, 2010 1:43:40 AM