« Beason makes Pro Bowl after all | Main | Where will Peppers play? 'No preference' »

January 30, 2010

Panthers promote Rodgers to special teams coordinator

The Panthers named Jeff Rodgers their new special teams coordinator Saturday, replacing Danny Crossman, who was fired in January.

Rodgers, 32, was the team's special teams assistant last season. He came to the Panthers from Kansas State, where he was special teams coach in 2009. The Wildcats led the country in blocked kicks (nine) and scored six special-teams touchdowns (five on punt returns). Before that, he was special teams quality control coach with the San Francisco 49ers from 2003-07.

There's plenty of room for improvement on special teams for the Panthers, who finished near the bottom of the NFL's rankings in punt return and kick return coverage last season. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on January 30, 2010 at 02:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

A lot of Panther fans will hate the move because they wanted someone outside the organization with a big name (i.e. Bobby April) but I actually like the move. He'll be much more familiar with the players and he may infuse some youthfulness and excitement to the unit since he's only 32. Plus he has a pretty good track record at KState. Special Teams has been a team weakness other than when Steve Smith played for a long time so I hope we can finally turn it around.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jan 30, 2010 2:29:09 PM

You have a short memory Gamble20. The Panthers special Teams were great for many years, not just the few that Superman was returning punts. We had Michael Bates as a pro-bowler for kick returns in '97, and '98. Then he was the pro bowler for kick coverage in '99, '00, and '01. then Superman was the Pro bowler in '02 for kick returns. We also had Kasay in '97, and Sauerbrun in '02, '03, and '04 make the pro bowl as special teams as a panther. Special teams has been a weakness for only a few years. It was a strength for a lot of years!

Posted by: Superman Wears 89 | Jan 30, 2010 3:01:17 PM

i like this move. I saw this coming when they hired Rogers. He should have had this job last year.

Posted by: cbioss | Jan 30, 2010 5:28:15 PM

Since I have no idea who this guy is, and you guys seem to like it, I'm with it. I'm only skeptical since it took this long to make it official. I had started thinking that the organization was waiting for one of those playoff teams to finish their season so they can go after their special teams coach. Now I don't know what to think.

That being said, he does bring in pretty good credentials with him. I don't think college special teams is much different from the NFL.

Cool.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 30, 2010 6:03:18 PM

04 was 5 years ago, that is a long time for sucky special teams

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 30, 2010 7:14:32 PM

Maybe our Special Teams won't suck now...

Posted by: BabyBoi | Jan 31, 2010 1:11:35 AM

Good move !

Posted by: Nasty704 | Jan 31, 2010 10:41:30 AM

I hope this is the beginning of much improved special teams.

Posted by: Elizabeth | Jan 31, 2010 8:59:21 PM

they finally got rid of foxes secret santa and golf buddy.amen!

Posted by: raydaz | Feb 1, 2010 1:28:29 PM