« Report: Browns staying with Mangini | Main | Friday's Carolina Panthers links »

January 07, 2010

Panthers' QB coach Scherer interviews for UVa position

Carolina Panthers quarterbacks coach Rip Scherer interviewed for the University of Virginia offensive coordinator position today, The Observer has learned.

Scherer recently completed his first season with the Panthers. He has an extensive college coaching background, including serving on the Virginia staff in 1979.

Scherer joined the Panthers last year after Mike McCoy left to become offfensive coodinator of the Denver Broncos.

Veteran quarterback Jake Delhomme struggled this season with 18 interceptions, but third-year pro Matt Moore flourished, going 4-1 as a starter after Delhomme suffered a season-ending finger injury.

New Virginia coach Mike London has been assembling his staff and met with Scherer today.

--  Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on January 7, 2010 at 08:25 PM | Permalink

Comments

Please take Davidson with you.

Posted by: kevin | Jan 7, 2010 8:35:30 PM

wow another stupid comment by Kevin. Ill give you one thing you are always first with them.

Posted by: cboss | Jan 7, 2010 9:46:30 PM

Where is your boy hellfish. I know he'll be posting his comments soon.

Posted by: cboss | Jan 7, 2010 9:50:02 PM

Watxh me get rid of my starting QB Jake's reason for having a bad year. It was all Scherer's fault, yeah thats it it was all Scherer's fault Jakey had a bad year. Even though Jake had a bad end to last year before Scherer was here. But my main QB Jake said it was Scherer's fault so I believe my number one guy.

Posted by: John Fox | Jan 7, 2010 9:58:42 PM

Posting retarded crap in a John Fox name suits your mentality.....

Posted by: MrBernz | Jan 7, 2010 10:58:52 PM

For once you and I agree Bernz

Posted by: Ellrod | Jan 8, 2010 12:30:48 AM

I am going to have to actually thank Chuck here for pointing out that even though THEY blamed Scherer for Jake's woes early on, Matt Moore still excelled when he took over (again under Scherer's tutelage).

Let me add that Jake sucked and Moore was solid before Scherer got to the franchise. So you can argue things remained constant. I think Jake got worse and Moore got better, but neither fact may have anything to do with Rip.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 8, 2010 5:41:54 AM

I'll tell you what assistant I'm afraid of losing. Offensive line coach Dave Magazu ... Geoff Hangartner, Frank Omiyale,Jeremy Bridges, all considered quality backups were no longer with the Panthers entering OTAs. We retained all starters but every sports writer (and even Jordan Gross) was saying we were in deep trouble if anybody got hurt. What does Magazu give us when Gross got hurt/placed on IR? He produces a line that starts second year 7th round draft pick with 0 NFL regular season experience that opens the way for 155.57 rushing yards per game through 7 weeks and allows a sack once every 13.47 drop backs (which is along the lines of what the Eagles and Ravens have allowed). Then we lose Jeff Otah, and put in another second year 7th round draft choice (but this one was limited to the practice squad his rookie year). Then we proceed to rush for 183 yards per game and allow 1 sack every 15.2 drop-backs to close the season. I think Mr. Magazu deserves some credit.

Posted by: RickMan | Jan 8, 2010 5:47:11 AM

Also of note is the fact that Moore also started the last 5 of those 7 weeks and the sack rate for him was 1 for ever 15.75.

Posted by: RickMan | Jan 8, 2010 5:50:13 AM

Sorry about that 1 for EVERY 15.75 drop-backs.

Posted by: RickMan | Jan 8, 2010 5:52:33 AM

Rickman--brilliant post! Excellent point. In all fairness though, Stewart did have to break some tackles in the backfield, but the duo (Double Trouble) were doing that all last year too---maybe even moresoe last season.

Again, Fox's ability to bring in talent despite all the adversity he faces merits some credit as well. Good for him for demanding a contract, if that is actually true. Honestly though, for his sake, I rather he just leave for a better job.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 8, 2010 7:53:02 AM

Thats what you guys think. That is not what Jake says. Jake told me that we had to get rid of Scherer. So I told Scherer he needs to find another job. Guys, you know it is what it is.

Posted by: John Fox | Jan 8, 2010 8:05:20 AM

It is being reported that Jake will be the starting qb as well as the qb coach and offensive coord. No wait that would be Peyton Manning. We are stuck with chicken grease fingers Hack Glacomma.

Posted by: kevin | Jan 8, 2010 8:16:41 AM

Moore wasn't sacked as much because he is more mobile than Jake and, more importantly, he was more decisive than Jake. Jake would stand back there trying to hold the ball forever. Many times I found myself saying "JUST THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY JAKE, AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT PLAY".

Posted by: Jeff P. | Jan 8, 2010 2:34:47 PM

If other programs are regularly wanting our assistant coaches to come and fill a larger role for them ... wouldn't that point to the Panthers as having a quality organization?

Posted by: RickMan | Jan 8, 2010 4:05:33 PM

And I was just making a case for our O-line before not so much the QB situation. We always seem to perform better than expected with a nicked-up group of starters.

Posted by: RickMan | Jan 8, 2010 5:40:47 PM

Bobby, I've been biting my tongue, but I have to address this (yet again). Jake has been bad from the get go. His best asset to the team has been well documented---"his ability to lead."
That being said, he has always turned the ball over. Remember the Cardiac Cats? They were called that just for that reason. It has been his teammates for years that either make crazy catches and excellent YAC, or they recover his fumbles, or the defense gets the ball back (let's not overlook how special teams has mad some plays by blocking opponent's game winning field goals).
Anyway, all that had changed after the SI cover. Since then, becuase of the hype he was getting, Jake was putting himself up there with the likes of Peyton Manning. His leadership (his one asset) went dow the tubes because of that, especially the way he was yelling at players that made him look good for years with their own amazing play---remember the smitty jake conflict that was played off as normal encouragment???
If you need proof, just look how well the entire team responded when someone else was put in there! They could have gotten Joey Harrrington off of the street and the Panther players would have been playing lights out (the QB play may not have been as good though). And that is just how bad the Bojangle politics was getting.
Oh yeah, and now Poopers wants to play for the team. And BTW, what did Lucas say to piss mighty mouse off?
Anyway, you do have a point in that the surgery affected him, but it made an ALREADY BAD QB worse.
Posted by: SYRPIS | January 09, 2010 at 11:35 AM