« Senior Bowl notes | Main | Beason makes Pro Bowl after all »

January 28, 2010

Peppers `honored' to make All-Decade team, looks ahead to 'my best years'

In what may be the highest honor of his NFL career, Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers has been selected to the league’s all-decade team, which was voted upon by the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee.

The entire team won’t be announced until Sunday, but the league revealed the 12 players selected who are participating in this week’s Pro Bowl in Miami.

“I am honored and feel privileged to be recognized in this way," Peppers said in a statement released Wednesday night by his agent, Carl Carey. "There is still a lot of work for me to do in my career and I believe my best years are ahead of me."

The all--decade team honors the NFL's best players for the years 2000-2009. For Peppers, it's a significant achievement and is a big step toward validating him someday as a candidate for the Hall of Fame.

Peppers, who has 81 sacks in eight seasons, is in the final year of his contract and soon will find out whether the Panthers will franchise him for the second consecutive season, which would require them to tender him an offer of more than $20 million for the 2010 season.

NFL rules require teams apply franchise and transition tags between Feb. 11-25.

The Panthers also could try to sign Peppers to a long-term contract or allow him to become an unrestricted free.

Peppers was joined on the all-decade as joined by by these fellow Pro Bowlers: San Diego tight end Antonio Gates, Jets’ guard Alan Faneca, Vikings guard Steve Hutchinson, Titans center Kevin Mawae, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware, Denver’s defensive backfield duo of Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins, Oakland punter Shane Lechler, Eagles kicker David Akers, and Browns kick returner Josh Cribbs.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on January 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM | Permalink

Comments

Sign the man !!

Posted by: Nasty704 | Jan 28, 2010 12:31:53 AM

No way has Peppers been one of the two best DE's this past decade. You can't be considered the best when you play every other season. I think he is one of the most talented, but his heart hasn't matched his talent.

Posted by: Peppers needs more heart | Jan 28, 2010 1:07:56 AM

This is a tremendous accomplishment for him and I think he is deserving. I am guess that Freeny is going to be the other? Clearly the 2 best in this time frame...

Posted by: BabyBoi | Jan 28, 2010 7:00:56 AM

Peppersneedsmoreheart, how long did it take you to become so ignorant?

Posted by: MrBernz | Jan 28, 2010 9:01:27 AM

doesn't surprize me...look at the world in the eyes of reality. his ball playing is reality tv on steroids. punk a-- p.s. has pep finished his speech lessons from charles shackleford? understanding them is like listening to fish under water with their mouths full. 1 more time punk-a--

Posted by: myfowler | Jan 28, 2010 10:39:29 AM

fuck all the pep haters. JP is BEAST!! and the hall of fame thinks so as well. so fuck you crybaby haters, u have no argument, go fuck yourselves :)

Posted by: dat dude | Jan 28, 2010 10:47:11 AM

Again, the ignorant statements from "fans" who don't think for themselves and rely too much on the local media frenzy that always dogs out Pep. The Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee can recognize his accomplishments...yet dumb a$$ local "fans" continue to bash him. Thank GOD people around here aren't controlling who goes into the Hall of Fame or we'd have a bunch of Brad Hoover's, Jake Delhomme's and Jared Allen's in the there after a couple productive seasons. Peppers has excelled almost every year excluding that one really bad season. Wake up people...grass is not always greener!

BabyBoi...you don't happen to coach anywhere local, do ya?

Posted by: NFL247 | Jan 28, 2010 10:50:38 AM

I agree with you 'dat dude' but is the language necessary?! I know it's frustrating dealing with the morons in our fanbase, but cursing like that isn't accomplishing anything.

Posted by: NFL247 | Jan 28, 2010 10:51:54 AM

Congrats Pep!!!

I am very PROUD of you!!!!

And I know what this means to you, so well deserved my friend...

Go Firebirds lol!!

Posted by: Jennifer | Jan 28, 2010 11:36:05 PM

I think back at some of my favorite plays that Peppers has made and man it has been fun to watch. I would say when it comes to game changing plays this team is lead by Peppers and Smith. Hands down. Congratulations and I hope you stay with the Panthers.

Posted by: PACATFAN | Jan 29, 2010 5:14:35 AM

Good for him and good PR for the team.

Posted by: Elrod | Jan 29, 2010 9:52:43 AM

Congrats, Pep! If he continues to impress the people in the HOF Committee he may be enshrined there as a Panther, which would be amazing. Hope the focus now is on trying to secure Peppers for the future, as he really blossomed in Coach Meeks' defensive scheme...nice seeing him shifted all over the field to take advantage of matchup problems instead of just parking at the end position on every play. He seems to be amenable to staying, Carolina has the ability to pay the man, so make it happen.

Posted by: Panther Dan | Jan 29, 2010 11:01:57 AM

PACATFAN...when I think of Peppers, I think of that astounding play against the Falcons where he snatched the Vick fumble, one-handed, out of the sky, on a dead run, and ran it back for six. It took the replay for me to truly comprehend what had happened, and there are few, if any, DE's in the NFL, now or ever, who could have done that. Still makes me shake my head.

Posted by: Panther Dan | Jan 29, 2010 11:06:16 AM

Jon Beason just named to Pro Bowl...should have been there to start with!

Posted by: prestonsc | Jan 29, 2010 2:34:08 PM

After having been selected to the all-decade team by the hall of fame selection committee, anybody that has anything negative to say at this point is a straight dumb-ass. Congratulations Pep, next time they'll be voting him into the hall of fame

Posted by: Ronwon | Jan 29, 2010 6:41:25 PM