« Panthers promote Rodgers to special teams coordinator | Main | Agent: Panthers giving Peppers "silent treatment," believes they've "moved on" »

January 31, 2010

Where will Peppers play? 'No preference'

Julius Peppers says he's willing to play anywhere in 2010, and really has no preference. Peppers, who will play in the Pro Bowl today in Miami, told the Associated Press he had no idea what was going on with his status with the Panthers.

"Anywhere is a potential landing spot," he said. "I'm not going to say I want to play for any team or I prefer to play anywhere, because I really haven't thought about it."

Posted by Observer Sports on January 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

Haven't thought about it? What about the Cowboys, Patriots, and the 3-4? Anyone remember that talk from the end of last year?

I think Julius is starting to realize that there are just not a lot of teams willing to make him the highest-paid defensive player, let alone part with draft picks just to get him. As long as there is the perception that he could be doing more, this will persist. I hope the Panthers either sign him to a fair deal (NOT the very highest pay), or get something - anything - in return for him.

Posted by: Fred | Jan 31, 2010 1:09:26 PM

With no salary cap next year, we can pay him big money to stay if Richardson wants to. All the backups we need to fill the roster will also be more expensive. If we choose not to sign Peppers, he will be more valuable in a trade, because other teams don't have to worry about a salary cap. Maybe we can get two first round draft picks this time.

With no salary cap, this is going to be one screwed up season.

Posted by: Ft. Mill Panther | Jan 31, 2010 1:17:38 PM

let his punk ass go, so he can come back and destroy us and make the panthers organization look foolish..

Posted by: latrell sprewell | Jan 31, 2010 1:59:48 PM

Ft. Mill Panther: If we dont' sign him, HOW THE HELL WOULD WE TRADE HIM? He wouldn't be ours to trade!!!

Posted by: Rug Pe'er | Jan 31, 2010 3:36:39 PM

Franchise him first, then trade him. Thats how

Posted by: Joe Blow | Jan 31, 2010 3:44:39 PM

Frankly I wish they would raise the salary cap as opposed to removing it. Some organizations obviously have deeper pockets than others. I'm sure owners like Jerry Jones are salivating over it. But I hate to think about losing players like Peppers and others down the road only because our bank account isn't as big. I know there are those that will disagree, but I still think it creates an unfair advantage.

Posted by: Mark Anders | Jan 31, 2010 3:53:20 PM

He doesn't know where he wants to go? I have a suggestion.......

Posted by: jeff | Jan 31, 2010 4:29:31 PM

To be honest I am worried about the uncapped season. With teams like the Cowboys or Washington that can become the Yankees in the NFL I hope we can still keep our players and get good free agents.

We need to keep Peppers, he may take games off but without him our pass rush is gone.

Posted by: Tyler | Jan 31, 2010 5:56:40 PM

In my opinion, some one has had a converstation with Julius about not hurting his trade value. If Julius were to pull the bonehead move of saying the few teams he wants to go to, that hurts his trade value.

Also, I think he is not completely against playing in Carolina either. Last year, I was ready to cut ties with him. This year, im not sure. We sure could use the money we need to pay him, BUT our defense is back on its way to prominance/dominance, and losing Peppers would not help there.

Hopefully Fox and Hurney realize that this year is a make or break year, and figgure out the best way to deal with this situation.

Posted by: Josh | Jan 31, 2010 6:19:30 PM

I was watching the pro bowl pre-game show and they're saying its likely Carolina won't try to re-sign or tag Pep and he will be a UFA. On nfl.com all the little Pats fans are talking about how they're gonna get him and have a ton of high draft picks too. I don't trust ESPN, they're wrong 90% of the time. Still, personally, if the Pats want him they can have him, but I want us to get some of their picks in exchange. We don't have a single first round pick and we would let Pep walk for free?? I gotta say I think the Panthers planned not to try and bring Pep back next year, otherwise trading a future first round pick for what essentially amounted to a back-up/situational DE in Everette Brown doesn't make sense to me. I know its risky to tag Pep. If we can't unload him then we're stuck with him for a ton of money, but I think we gotta try. I'd be willing to take a second round pick for him. I don't think it's unrealistic that somebody would give that and with two seconds we would be able to package some picks and move into the first or stay put and pick up two in the second or even move down and pick up multiple later round picks. I would just hate to see some punk team like the Pats get him and keep all those picks when we could use them.

Posted by: 34+28=GREATNESS | Jan 31, 2010 7:25:34 PM

What a puts!! This further proves he and his agent had an agenda last season. Now the ignorant lamo is open to go anywhere... really?? IS THAT BECUSE YOU GOT BENCHED FOR PART OF THE SEASON!?! Low life prmadonna... NO ONE PERSON IS BETTER THAN THE TEAM!! NOT EVEN POOPERS!!!

Good riddance.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jan 31, 2010 9:14:47 PM

Guys stop being ignorant. If we had no cap from here on out you may be right, but at least for 2010, they have a final eight plan that restricts Dallas Minnesota ect. from getting pep without serious expenses and restrictions

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jan 31, 2010 9:21:34 PM

Nobodoy's giving you any thing for him, when are you people gonna realize that. You can't trade him for anything period. Either Carolina is gonna franchise tag him or their gonna let him go, that's it.

Posted by: skynz71 | Feb 1, 2010 7:38:26 AM

As my mother liked to say,"don't let the door hit you in the ass".

Posted by: Jim | Feb 1, 2010 10:38:44 AM

amen to that.we could buy a lot of talent with 20 million.aaron kampmann would look good in a panthers uniform and maybe antonio bryant.

Posted by: raydaz | Feb 1, 2010 1:24:43 PM

People are way too emotional.

It's quite simple. Peppers did not like the direction of the team, defense, etc. at the end of last year. PROFESSIONALLY, he did not want to be here with things going that way. Heaven forbid folks not go with the organizational status quo around here. Right Jenkins and Keyshawn?

He did the franchise a favor by expressing things that made it clear that they should focus on signing Jordan Gross whereas if he had played it close to the vest, it could have ended up costing them Gross with no long-term for Peppers. He did all he could to have the Panthers move on (narrowing teams, etc. to stop franchise), but the Panthers CHOSE not to listen and locked him in.

This year, he is happy with how Meeks is using him, with the UPGRADES in the middle (Hollis Thomas and Tank Tyler) and the fact that the team ended with a QB who gave the guys hope for the future. His feelings are not the same. If this were about money, he would have signed up 2 years ago.

Posted by: jperry | Feb 1, 2010 3:11:15 PM

yeah, lets just bank on our bright future since we just signed Jake to a 5 year deal, and owe him 10 million this year whether he plays or not. Peppers sucks so bad at football he is second in sacks total since 2001 (on an overall mediocre team), second only to Dwight Freeney who plays a great pass rusher and on a winning franchise... and plays on a Panther defense who never blitzes. He is so bad that he was just picked to the NFL All-Decade Team, I believe only Panther to have held that honor. Only Panther to have made it to 5 Pro Bowls, league leader in FG attempts blocked. Damn, that cat just dont know how to play football... get him outta here, he sucks!!

Posted by: ccdv | Feb 1, 2010 7:24:52 PM

40 Wins, ZERO LOSSES for the 2009-10 NBA Season! How does he do it? This guys story is simply unbelievable: John Morrison, "The Sports Betting Champ" wins an astounding 97% of his NBA and MLB sports bets. He makes $70,000 every week! You have to See This!

Posted by: Zack | Feb 2, 2010 12:46:22 AM

whats your point ccdv? peppers has been a good player,not a great player.he is nowhere near worth 20 million. what really bothers me is that this guy could be one of the all time greats.with his talent he should have 25 sacks per year.what a waste.

Posted by: raydaz | Feb 2, 2010 10:55:51 AM

Very Simple, Keep Peppers, let Jack go, start Matt Moore.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 2, 2010 11:22:58 PM

I called Jake Jack cause that's what he do every game Jack us from win's and money for paying to see him Throw games away.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 2, 2010 11:26:54 PM