« Casserly: Peppers may not receive offer as good as what Panthers offered in '09 | Main | Clemson WR Ford betters 4.3 in 40 at combine »

February 26, 2010

ASU's Edwards to throw, but not run at combine due to hamstring injury

INDIANAPOLIS -- Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards said he'll participate in quarterback drills at the NFL Scouting Combine, but won't be able to run due a strained hamstring he suffered last week.

Edwards had hoped to run the 40-yard dash for pro teams at the combine and also run pass routes, since many scouts consider him a prospect as a wide receiver and kick returner.

Edwards said he was running routes last week when his hamstring popped.

"It wasn't a pull, though," he said.

Edwards now will prepare to run his 40 and work out as a receiver during his pro day at Appalachian State next month.

"I wanted to run my 40 here because everybody is up here, but only a select few will come to the pro day," he said. "It would've been really good if I could've run here."

After talking to his agents, he said he decided he didn't want to risk further injury by trying to run at the combine.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on February 26, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

Spell the name of the school right CHARLES!

Posted by: 3000ft2Glory | Feb 26, 2010 3:05:05 PM

Darrin's gonna kill him.

Posted by: Authority | Feb 26, 2010 3:38:58 PM

I realize that in the newspaper business your not going to make everybody happy and every fan is going to feel slighted in some way. But the misspelling of a school, that has represented our area and state in the highest possible standard, does reflect a lack of familiarity. Seems that with as much that has been accomplished at Appalachian State, if you were properly familiar, you wouldn't have misspellings. Not really complaining, I'm all too familiar with the coverage, just making a point. P.S. sorry for the poor grammar, but I change tires for a living.

Posted by: Local | Feb 26, 2010 3:43:18 PM

Guys, it's an obvious mistake. The "a" and the "i" is transposed, it's not the end of the world.

I'm not offended at all, and I'm an App grad.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 26, 2010 3:58:09 PM

OH MY GAWD! SPELL THE NAME RIGHT! WTFFFFFF?????

It's not a big deal.

I will say this though. I don't care about this article. Not that it's a bad article, I simply don't care. I come to this blog to see the latest news on the Panthers, not be informed about some QB that I've never heard of going to a school that I don't care about.

Who cares? This has nothing to do about my Panthers. Who gives a rip?

Posted by: Revshawn | Feb 26, 2010 4:09:30 PM

Either its fixed or I can't spell.

Posted by: clayton | Feb 26, 2010 4:13:31 PM

Just more bad news for Edwards.

He measured under 6 feet (5-11), usually the cutoff for NFL QB's.

In spite of his lack of height, he was tied for 8th (out of 19) among QB's in arm length (32 1/4 inches), and hand size (9 1/2 inches).

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Feb 26, 2010 4:27:23 PM

An Appalachian State graduate isn't offended. I hope that's not a reflection of the school.

Posted by: Spell Check | Feb 26, 2010 5:11:43 PM

i'd rather have him than McCoy, who has no heart! Who the hell would not want to play in a championship game? I better sit out and get ready for the nfl? Would you give your all for McCoy? Edward's played hurt all year. would be a great special teams and role player.

Posted by: joe cool | Feb 26, 2010 7:45:47 PM

revshawn:

stop foolin' yourself...you've heard of Armanti Edwards, I guarantee it. Stop hatin' man, it's not a flattering characteristic.

Posted by: bobcat matt | Feb 26, 2010 10:07:13 PM

When are they going to tender the RFA's? The deadline is soon.

Posted by: Steven | Feb 27, 2010 12:39:52 PM

The Panthers need to fix their special teams return units in one move, SIGN DARREN SPROLES!!!

Posted by: Al | Feb 27, 2010 6:31:05 PM

joe cool, you are ignorant and need to stop talking right now. Do you realize how hurt Colt McCoy was? That wasn't something he could just "play through"! He was crying after the game because he couldn't play yet he has "no heart"! STFU!

Posted by: Reid | Feb 27, 2010 7:05:12 PM

Armanti Edwards will NEVER be an NFL QB, he just won't. Now I do think he can have a successful NFL career, something in the mold of Josh Cribbs who also played QB in college at Kent State. And Al, I really like that idea but I don't think the Panthers want to spend that much on a position that they're already loaded at, especially when they still probably feel that Goodson can turn into the type of player that Sproles is.

Posted by: Reid | Feb 27, 2010 7:07:10 PM

Oh I know, and they aren't loaded at the two positions he would play, KR and PR.

Posted by: Al | Feb 27, 2010 10:46:41 PM

And this is on 'Inside the Panthers' why...?

Posted by: Dan | Feb 27, 2010 11:24:47 PM

@ Bobcat Matt

Please excuse the sarcastic nature of my original post.

I'm not hating on the guy, I've never heard of him before. I come on here to read about the Panthers, and he has nothing to do with the Panthers in any way, shape, or form. That and I'm not close to the App State college, people don't talk about the school where I'm at. The people I keep an eye on are the Panthers, South Carolina, and Clemson. I also pay a moderate amount of attention to North Carolina, NC State, and Duke. I don't pay attention to the Apps.

The last time I remember anything about App. State was when they upset Michigan at #3. Now that was awesome. But besides that I don't really follow their football at all.

But I digress. I want to come on here to read about my Panthers. That's really the only point I wanted to make. That's all, I'm not hating on the guy. I just don't generally care about news like this. If he was a potential college QB that the Panthers were looking into drafting, I'd be interested.

Otherwise, no.

Posted by: Revshawn | Feb 27, 2010 11:27:26 PM

You know this guy might be a Panther. He is projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder most likely to return kicks and play the slot. So maybe the reason the article is here is so all those who haven't heard of the first Div 1 team to win 3 championships in a row since Army did it in the 40's and the only QB to ever(meaning he's the only one) pass for 10k yards and run for 4k yards in NCAA history to get a little familiar. Just in case we draft him to be a WR/KR and Wildcat QB who introduces a legitimate passing threat in that formation. Which by the way is where the NFL is moving with that formation.

Seriously people it's called reporting.

Posted by: john | Feb 28, 2010 1:56:33 AM

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!! I've been looking high and low for info on Armanti at the combine!!!

Posted by: Phil | Feb 28, 2010 6:41:34 PM

Wow.... hard to believe that anyone who saw the game against Michigan could claim not to know who Armanti Edwards is, considering he was the QB for the Mountaineers when it happened! It was widely considered to be the greatest college football upset of all time, and Dexter Jackson (WR ASU, now WR Carolina Panthers practice squad) made the cover of SI after that game.

Also, anyone who thinks Edwards could never be a QB in the NFL hasn't been paying attention. Yes, he's short (so are a number of successful NFL QB's including Eli Manning, and Drew Brees and probably a few I am not thinking of right now.... although one example of a talented QB that springs to mind and matches Edwards in most physical aspects is Michael Vick.... Vick doesn't have Edwards' passing ability though and I personally wouldn't sign a player who increases animal cruelty in my town.... Kordell Stewart also comes to mind). Edwards has an incredibly strong and accurate arm and the ability to scramble to extend and make plays, as demonstrated by his all-time leading stats in passing and rushing yards at the position. He's won the Walter Peyton award twice and three national championships. He's the first legitimate QB to come out of the FCS since Steve McNair,

Having said all that yeah, I can see how he would end up at WR and the Panthers could certainly use the depth. I also think he would be a great COP guy if the Panthers go with Matt Moore next year (fingers crossed on that one) and Edwards ran the no-huddle spread formation exclusively at ASU, which would make him a very nice candidate to run the Wildcat.

Hopefully the Panthers will bring Dexter Jackson up from the practice squad and give him a shot, especially if they draft Edwards. It would be awesome to see those two on the same field again.

Posted by: Daniel Melocik | Mar 2, 2010 11:48:40 AM

why make blogs that dont show all the comments.

Posted by: cboss | Mar 2, 2010 6:06:34 PM

Daniel,

I agree with a lot of what you said, but to make it accurate he won 2 national championships, not three. And I consider Flacco to be a legit qb from FCS. Flacco is also who ASU beat in their most recent national championship.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 3, 2010 11:36:37 AM