« Bears' Smith sidesteps Peppers issue | Main | ASU's Edwards to throw, but not run at combine due to hamstring injury »

February 26, 2010

Casserly: Peppers may not receive offer as good as what Panthers offered in '09

INDIANAPOLIS -- Charley Casserly, the former Houston Texans and Washington Redskins general manager, said today at the NFL Scouting Combine that Panthers' unrestricted free agent defensive end Julius Peppers may not find a team willing to pay him as much as the deal he turned down from Carolina last summer.

"I think it's a fascinating one to watch," said Casserly, now an analyst for the NFL Network and CBS Sports.."I don't know what Carolina's final numbers were, but Carolina has never been cheap with players. They've always paid the market and maybe a little bit above to make sure it gets done.

"Maybe the best deal he would have had will be the one he had a year ago."

It's believed the Panthers offered Peppers a contract averaging somehwere between $13 and $14 million per year last summer, but that the offer fell short of Peppeers' demand to be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.

The Panthers recently decided not to put their franchise tag on Peppers for a second consecutive year because it would have required them to make him a one-year tender offfer of $20.0196 million plus a $1.5 million Pro Bowl incentive bonus.

Peppers can begin fielding offers from other teams once the free agency signing period opens March 5. Among teams believed to have an interest are Philadelphia and Chicago.

"Will there be some teams interested in him? There are a going to be a few, but not a lot," said Casserly. "I don't think you're going to see a big market for the guy."

Peppers, 30, is a five-time Pro Bowler who recently was named to the NFL's all-decade team. He holds the Panthers' team record with 81 career sacks. However, the consistency of his effort has been questioned at times.

"When you watch him as a player, I think his whole career has been the same," said Casserly. "This guy can turn it on like he did against the Minnesota Vikings (last season) ... but he's had games where he doesn't show up for the whole game, doesn't play hard all the time and isn't totally productive.

"He's (also) 30 years old, so you're going to hold your breath a little bit on this one. But I think he's going to get a heck of a contract and he clearly is the No. 1 guy out there."

(x)

There has been speculation that the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina's rival in the NFC South Division, could have an interest in Peppers.

Atlanta coach Mike Smith would neither confirm nor deny interest in Peppers Friday, but made it clear the team's top priority in the offseason is to improve its pass rush and pass defense, needs that would fit what Peppers does best.

Smith said he's glad he'll no longer have to play against Peppers twice a year.

"Having Julius Peppers out of the NFC South would be a good thing," said Smith. "He has been an outstanding player for a number of years. He's a guy you always have to be aware of where he is aligned and you always have to scheme to protect your quarterback."

Asked specifically if the Falcons were interested in trying to sign Peppers, Smith said: "This year the free agent class is not as deep. There's not as many numbers. We're going to do our due diligence on every free agent that's available and we've been spending a lot of our offseason (doing), not only on the personnel side, but with our coaching staff watching tape."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on February 26, 2010 at 01:59 PM | Permalink

Comments

What does Charlie Casserly know? He drafted David Carr of Christ's sake!!!

Posted by: Al | Feb 26, 2010 2:06:49 PM

I for one am VERY interested in seeing *what* Peppers eventually signs for, more so than *WHO* he actually signs for. If it's nowhere near what Carolina offered him (twice over), get ready for the spin from him and his agent: "it was never about the money blah blah blah"

I'm not bitter, though. Seriously. I just don't think Peppers (or maybe his agent) is being realistic about his current value, and I find it hard to believe that any NFL team will break the bank for him considering his age and his reputation as a "part-time beast."

Posted by: Newsinz | Feb 26, 2010 2:27:40 PM

It will likely be a back-loaded contract short on guaranteed money. This way a team (Patriots?) will be able to give him the prestige of "biggest defensive contract ever", and then cut him loose after 2-3 seasons if he starts to decline or doesn't fulfill expectations. That way he will never see most of that money. Should've signed with Carolina, Julius.

Posted by: Ted | Feb 26, 2010 2:46:10 PM

Does anyone actually think Peppers would sign with the Bears? Last time I checked, Jay Cutler led the league in interceptions - don't forget 3 straight games of 4+. If I was Pep, I wouldn't sign up for Deja Vu.

Maybe I'm biased, but if Matt Moore shows up next season like he did last (plus fingers crossed for a real #2 receiver), the panther's chances of a post season run are much better than the Bears...

Posted by: The Future | Feb 26, 2010 3:01:40 PM

You wait and see. I will the league's highest paid defensive player. And when I get that, you better believe I'm looking after #1. That's right, injuries could cut my career short, so now that I'll have my contract, I'll be able to take it easy. I can't hurt my figure.

Posted by: Julius Peppers | Feb 26, 2010 3:11:51 PM

sign him back 6-year-60mil

Posted by: mikey | Feb 26, 2010 3:32:04 PM

julius you forgot the be in i will.
figures!

Posted by: jj | Feb 26, 2010 3:35:28 PM

Gosh wouldn't it be something if he comes crawling back to Carolina and they give him the BIG #1 sign!! Haha!

Posted by: MJM | Feb 26, 2010 4:24:59 PM

I secretly had hoped that Peppers' value would plummet on the open market after his franchise year. Pep turned down great money to stay here. I hope he has to play for mediocre money elsewhere. May all the aches, pains, and limitations of turning 30 hit him hard this off-season.

Posted by: Mike Linebacker | Feb 26, 2010 4:34:09 PM

If you ask me, his agent is an idiot. I mean here you have a guy who was making 40 grand a year at UNC then he hitched his wagon to Peppers. Advised his client to turn down a contract that would have made him the highest paid defensive player at the time. This after Peppers took a YEAR off! (2.5 sacks). The next year, he has his client go public about wanting to leave or be traded, but only to teams of his chosing.

Drew Rosenhaus must be laughing histerically!

Posted by: Norm | Feb 26, 2010 5:00:23 PM

Al, you would be surprised at how much Casserly knows...he's quite knowledgeable. Do you not think the Mario Williams pick over Bush says a lot?

Posted by: RK | Feb 26, 2010 5:12:21 PM

here here Norm! I honestly can not believe that some one has not told Julius he needs to switch his agent.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 26, 2010 6:31:30 PM

See ya with the lions peppers.!! what a retard.

Posted by: hamoodi | Feb 26, 2010 7:43:29 PM

I don't wish any ill will toward Peppers. He got horrendous advice and handling from his pretend-agent. Of course, that is ultimately Julius' fault too. I wish him well though, hopefully with an AFC team, and not the Patriots or the Steelers. It would be ironic to see him ultimately sign with the Panthers again for less money than he would have gotten last year. Should have hired a real agent to start with. Good luck Julius!

Posted by: Doctor | Feb 26, 2010 8:21:15 PM

Look Peppers is gone now, give the #90 to someone else that wants to be here & who won't take off whole games. Next, use the money Peppers turned down to resign Deangelo, T.Davis, Marshall, Beason, Matt Moore. Keep our core young guy's together & maybe someone will give Peppers a ticket to come watch us in the superbowl!

Posted by: Charlie | Feb 27, 2010 5:05:43 PM

It'll be interesting to see what Julius Peppers signs for. He was offered 13.5 million dollars a year for the Carolina Panthers, and that was after a 2.5 sack season. That's from Darin Gantt, so you know that it's the good word.

Will he get more than that? Hell no. But Julius Peppers and his dark-side agent Carey the Cable Guy had to go and make a big fuss about how the Panthers weren't paying him enough money and how we dissed him by not calling him.

It would take something insane for Peppers to end up with another team at the salary he wants. He wants Albert Haynesworth money, and he's not going to get it no matter how loud he cries.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Panthers now have money to use to resign all of their good players. Players that actually want to be here. Thomas Davis. Matt Moore. Jon Beason. These players are the ones we need to hang onto, not moody crybabies that'll have a temper tantrum in the middle of a game.

Posted by: Revshawn | Feb 27, 2010 11:15:12 PM

Maybe Joo-lee-us will sign with the Falclowns and we can put DWill, Stew, or Hoover on him to block and contain him, since every other RB in the NFL has done the same.

Posted by: Phil | Feb 28, 2010 6:15:31 PM

jesus loves you.

Posted by: raydaz | Mar 1, 2010 12:12:04 PM

why make blogs that dont show all the comments.

Posted by: cboss | Mar 2, 2010 6:06:56 PM

all you morons will be eating your words come this weekend when julius signs for $15/year... just like last year, every talking crap how we are in a recession and no one will pay albert hayneswoth, thenn he signs for $100 million... get a life, monday morning qbs

Posted by: jerod | Mar 3, 2010 7:16:56 PM