« Panthers sign defensive tackle | Main | Panthers to explain their decision to let Peppers become a free agent »

February 19, 2010

Gantt joins Observer reporting team

Darin Gantt of the Rock Hill Herald joins the Charlotte Observer reporting team of Charles Chandler and David Scott on the Carolina Panthers beat. Darin has covered the Panthers for the Herald for 13 seasons. Stories by all three reporters, as well as columnists Scott Fowler and Tom Sorensen, will appear in the Charlotte Observer and on charlotteobserver.com as well in the Rock Hill Herald and on heraldonline.com. Both newspapers are owned by the McClatchy Company, which also owns the Raleigh News & Observer, the Columbia State, the Myrtle Beach Sun News, the Beaufort Gazette and the Island Packet in the Carolinas.

-- Editors

Posted by Observer Sports on February 19, 2010 at 07:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

Well, I guess things could not get much worse.

Posted by: The Voice of Optimism | Feb 19, 2010 7:55:09 PM

It is What it Is
This guy said that our offensive coord is going to make a great head coach in the NFL

Posted by: kevin | Feb 19, 2010 10:21:37 PM

Just when I didnt think the observer could get any worse.

Posted by: DarrinSlurpsHurney | Feb 19, 2010 10:41:26 PM

This idiot also thinks Jake Delhomme should start over matt Moore next year.

Posted by: DarrinSlurpsHurney | Feb 19, 2010 10:42:20 PM

The vitriol and negativity on these blogs is really getting tiresome.

Posted by: emlit | Feb 19, 2010 11:43:23 PM

Gnatt...lol! nothing like adding crap to a crap sandwhich!

Posted by: Jo Mama | Feb 19, 2010 11:54:44 PM

Great. Add guy that has man crush on Steve Smith. That'll get you real unbianed coverare on Steve Smith. Ovserver only continues to go dowhnill in coverare.

Posted by: wesley wells | Feb 20, 2010 12:53:11 AM

Look people, if you don't like what you are reading from the coverage that the Charlotte Observer is writing so much, check out other sites and quit whining about the coverage and the reporters. I check out the Observer and other sites as well to get as much opinion and coverage on the Panthers that I can. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with whatever is written by a reporter, but to constantly whine about is getting very tiresome. I also am looking for information about where our Panthers are heading. It's going to an interesting off season (probably the most important one in Panthers history). Let's hope our team gets it right!

Posted by: Gary LaShier | Feb 20, 2010 4:45:51 AM

Thanks Gary - whatever happened to "If you can't say anything positive, say nothing at all"? I'm going to stop scrolling down to comments, it's a waste of time looking for insight from readers.

Posted by: Harvey | Feb 20, 2010 6:16:36 AM

This is major upgrade over the current crop of CO reporters. And he writes in complete sentences. I welcome the addition.
Now we just need a receiver and a DE to replace Peppers.

Posted by: JImcat | Feb 20, 2010 8:15:11 AM

Love Darin and his thoughts on panthers great addition.

Posted by: Derek | Feb 20, 2010 9:52:16 AM

Use Darin as a columnist. He can actually write paragraphs.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 20, 2010 10:20:47 AM

Generally speaking, anyone with negative commentary: you don't like what's said? Then DO SOMETHING!!! Try writing for a blog instead of bitching all the time, for cryin' out loud!

Congrats to Darin Gantt, you bring a great level of expertise to the Observer staff, which I find refreshing!

Posted by: Eric / Cat Crave | Feb 20, 2010 12:27:59 PM

Welcome Darin, I followed you over at Rockhill as well. You provide interesting insights and am enjoying the fact my two favorite blogs are combining. No slacking off now you hear ;)

Posted by: Nate | Feb 20, 2010 2:16:23 PM

The observer used to write unbiased opinions on the panthers. Now that they have Darrin on board it will be nothing but a Hurney/panther slurp fest. The guy built his home inside of Hurneys ass. The panthers absolutely control this guy and will control the obeserver and what they write too.

Posted by: DarrinSlurpsHurney | Feb 20, 2010 4:50:12 PM

Man, people who want to comment about slurping and all the other negative comments need to get a life. I enjoy all of the blogs and articles whether I agree or not with what is written. I bet ole Slurpy's one of the typical posters that lives in mommy's basement!

Posted by: RK | Feb 20, 2010 5:03:19 PM

You guys read this stuff for FREE then complain all the time. Shut up. Darrin is the best panthers reporter in this town. And now I dont have to go elsewhere to read his stuff. I used to hit the highlights on the observer then to to the Hearld to get the details.

Posted by: John in Concord | Feb 20, 2010 5:32:04 PM

Now if you fire Tom Sorenson and hire Steve Reed, you'll have picked up the two best Panthers reporters in Charlotte.

Posted by: Dan | Feb 20, 2010 6:08:46 PM

Maybe he will have less time to whine on WFNZ.

Posted by: Rocky | Feb 20, 2010 7:29:57 PM

MAYBE ONE DAY THE OBSERVER WILL HIRE A REAL RACING REPORTER TO REPLACE THE LATE GREAT DAVID POOLE. THE OBSERVER RACING SECTION SUCKS...LITERALLY SUCKS...SUCKS MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE ON THE SPORTS PAGE. THEN AGAIN THIS PAPER THINKS RASSLIN IS A SPORT. JUST HAS TOM "CHICKEN BLOOD" SORENSTAM.

Posted by: Marcus Fulker | Feb 20, 2010 7:32:34 PM

I like reading Darrin Gant's stuff in the Herald. He actually bothers to get some of the behind the scenes details and he takes pains to find all the Panthers' news, even in the off season. Good addition, I say.

Posted by: catchick | Feb 20, 2010 8:08:18 PM

The only REAL panthers beat writer in this town is Steve Reid. No one else comes close.

Posted by: DarrinSlurpsHurney | Feb 21, 2010 2:36:53 AM

I like Darrin. Besides jumping on some of the rumor banwagons every now and then, his writing is pretty much solid. I like him.

Posted by: Revshawn | Feb 21, 2010 4:07:54 AM

Hey, crack Observer staff....you can remove the prediction of the super bowl from your Pan the page.

Posted by: Dom Capers | Feb 21, 2010 8:19:40 AM

good addition, observer. he'll make panthers coverage more interesting and voluminous with a new take and new leads. good luck mr. gantt

Posted by: tmack | Feb 21, 2010 5:48:52 PM