« Teammate: Hoover cut by Panthers | Main | Panthers get active in free agency, sign ex-Jets WR »

March 08, 2010

Hoover leaves Panthers with 'heavy heart'

The Carolina Panthers have confirmed fullback Brad Hoover's release this afternoon.

"Brad has been here since the day I arrived in Carolina," said Panthers coach John Fox. "When things were difficult he was a leader and someone the players and coaches always knew would be accountable.

"On the field, he was the ultimate competitor and set a physical tone in both his style and attitude."

Hoover's agent, Tim Irwin, said that Hoover was given the news this morning.

"Brad wants to thank the Panthers organization and the fans. Her certainly leaves there with a heavy heart. That's what he authorized me to say."

Irwin said Hoover did not feel up to talking at this time.

"We certainly believe Brad has some good years left," said Irwin. "He's obviously going to try to play somewhere else now. He's not done.

"I think they cut a good, viable player who has some time left. But that's my opinion. They're entitled to theirs."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on March 8, 2010 at 04:24 PM | Permalink

Comments

Good luck Brad, you will end up somewhere and wherever you go just try to stay healthy cuz you do have some years left buddy.
It's sad to see a team get rid of so many stars (present or past) but at the same time it needs to be done. For the sake of his wallet it's probably the best move for him. He lead the way for the first pair of 1,100 yard rushers and that's huge for a fullbacks resume.

Posted by: Virman | Mar 8, 2010 4:29:53 PM

Unbelievable... These guys are idiots. Nobody opens better holes! One of the greatest Panthers of all time! Hurney/Fox... GET OUT OF TOWN!

Posted by: Bill | Mar 8, 2010 4:32:34 PM

Delhomme, Hoover... you know Moose has got to be worried.

Posted by: Ashe | Mar 8, 2010 4:35:28 PM

Hoover was a big key to the success of the running game. Totally dumb move on the Panthers part. I guess we'll see what replacement football will look like in 2011 early in 2010.

Posted by: PantherJon | Mar 8, 2010 4:37:31 PM

Moose is an unrestricted free agent, so I think it's safe to say he's been worried.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 8, 2010 4:38:02 PM

you think the panthers would have some loyalty to curtain players

Posted by: zach | Mar 8, 2010 4:45:41 PM

Jerry needs a new plane.....

Posted by: pepperstogo? | Mar 8, 2010 4:46:53 PM

@zach

i think they're loyalty is with the carpet players

haha, see what i did there

Posted by: matt | Mar 8, 2010 4:49:28 PM

Wow... Just wow what a terrible move by the panthers, they couldn't afford his $800,000 so they cut him?! It's not like it's 16.5 mil here! Hoover is the main reason we have such a great running game! Against Tampa, Barrett Rudd becomes invisible because of him! Man they are doing everything possible for me to just forget about football and do something constructive with my Sundays for the next two years. Panthers organization are BONEHEADS for this one.

Posted by: Derek | Mar 8, 2010 4:51:36 PM

Classic. We are the laughing stock of the league once again. First we let one of the games greatest walk away with no compensation, then we fire the one person responsible for opening holes for our TB's. Nothing this idiodic front office does makes any sense to anyone. Senile owner, inept GM, bull headed coach. What a great front office, NOT!!!

Posted by: PLEASE_SELL_MR_RICHARDSON!! | Mar 8, 2010 4:53:52 PM

The F.O. is rebuiling without saying so!..hard to disquise the purging of vets!

Posted by: hellfish | Mar 8, 2010 4:54:32 PM

Terrell Sutton,your new Carolina Panthers starting fb,the kid is quick,smart and powerful.

Let's hope he can accomplish and @least b half the player 45 was.

Wish you the best Hoooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.

GhostOfSparta

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Mar 8, 2010 4:56:13 PM

the running game struggled las year when he missed a couople of games

when are they going to stop letting people go and start signing people to improve the team

Posted by: zach | Mar 8, 2010 4:57:32 PM

Insane! He was making less than a million a year and was opening holes for probably 15-25 TDs a year and Peppers was making 18 mil. for 10 sacks? Hope Williams and Stewart aren't making more than $10 an hour or they are gone. Thanks, Brad. You will be missed. Hey Marty, Jerry and John, I saw a fat guy on the corner with a sign that said "will play fullback or def. tackle for food". Better sign him quick.

Posted by: Zip | Mar 8, 2010 5:10:01 PM

Unlucky for our running backs. I'll still be rockin' my #45 jersey next year in section 517.

Posted by: Hooover45 | Mar 8, 2010 5:12:47 PM

This is no reflection on Hoover as such. The Panthers can just get more for longer and for less, and I assume both the reality of age and susceptibility to injuries were factors as well.

Great asset to the franchise, but all good things do come to an end.

Falling in love with players has been the demise of MANY a HC and his GM.

Posted by: Peter Wolf | Mar 8, 2010 5:15:58 PM

Makes me sick.

Posted by: Raising kane | Mar 8, 2010 5:16:54 PM

What's going on Richardson? Are you trying to challenge the Cardinals for stupid moves?

Posted by: Matt West | Mar 8, 2010 5:17:19 PM

I don't know what the crap is going on over there in the Panthers front office, but watching my man Hoooov knock linebackers on their rear-ends on Sunday afternoon was a true pleasure. I cannot believe they cut him. No class. To the Panthers front office: F. U

Posted by: Harris | Mar 8, 2010 5:27:00 PM

Actually I think Tyrell sutton filled in well. He'd start over fiametta.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Mar 8, 2010 5:33:06 PM

I really think this is posturing by a majority of owners. They are all scared going into what looks like a lock out year. They are all dumping high dollar fan favorites all over the league to save $. Its like they are telling the players union something.

Only a few teams are making big moves. Those teams are the ones that really didnt have large payrolls and were under the previous salary cap. Big payroll teams are dumping big contracs. Its all very weird and disheartening...

Its almost like there is a unspoken salary cap. It seem also to be lower than last years...

Posted by: Eric | Mar 8, 2010 5:36:55 PM

Who made that decision... Carl Edwards?
Look out Kasey....
Dang !

Posted by: OhNo | Mar 8, 2010 5:37:17 PM

This is crap. Dollar for dollar probably the most productive player we've got and he gets cut? He helped make our incredible running game what it is and was still way more effective than Fiametta. For the first time ever, I'm going to use the "I" word: IDIOTS in the front office.

Posted by: Ron | Mar 8, 2010 5:37:36 PM

Ummm.... When are we gonna start signing some players?? Hmmm... I guess I will be ordering the NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV this year. Im not about to waste my Sunday afternoons watching the poor, makeshift product that the panthers will put on the field this year. Looks like the want to clear as many contracts as possible while they can, limp thru 2010 and have to pay as few players as possible in 2011 in case there is no football. Sure go ahead JR, dont spend any money, I WONT EITHER! LOL!

Posted by: Fred | Mar 8, 2010 5:37:46 PM

Really, Hoover? Couldn't be the cash...and what a role model--stupid move!

Posted by: Amy Hallman | Mar 8, 2010 5:49:14 PM