« Delhomme transcript from fond farewell: "I'll always be a Carolina Cajun" | Main | Peppers: Bears' tradition appealing »

March 05, 2010

Hurney delivers Jake news in person

Panthers coach John Fox got to break the news face-to-face to Jake Delhomme Thursday afternoon, a conversation Delhomme admitted was “emotional.”

General manager Marty Hurney probably avoided it to keep from bawling himself, but had someplace else he had to be.

Agent Rick Smith, who’s represented Delhomme throughout his career, was working in his Chicago office building Thursday morning, preparing for the free agent period himself, and certainly not expecting the next call.

“It’s 11 yesterday morning, my time,” Smith said. “I look down at my cell, and it’s Marty’s cell. We talk all the time. So I answer, ‘Hey, Marty, what’s up.’”

“I’m in your lobby,” Hurney replied. “Come downstairs and get me.”

Smith said he was initially confused, and quickly found a conference room where they could sit and Hurney could deliver the news no one wanted to be on either end of.

“He said he just couldn’t do it over the phone,” Smith said. “So what does he do? He flies to Chicago so he can tell me to my face. To me, that tells you about the bond between the player and the team, and the character of the organization.

“Who else does that?”

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on March 5, 2010 at 03:37 PM | Permalink

Comments

Certainly speaks well of Jake. And our organization.

Posted by: MissingJake | Mar 5, 2010 3:52:07 PM

Actually he was really looking for a job....

Posted by: WillsomebodyhireMarty | Mar 5, 2010 3:55:58 PM

After reading that Julius agreed to a contract with the Bears for 6 years with about 40 million guaranteed for the first 3 years, I am just feeling bad for Jake. He did everything asked of him and he ends his time in Charlotte the way his predecessor Rodney Peete did, by getting cut once the new man in town shines. I will miss Jake for everything he did for the team. He had bad moments but alot of good ones too. Everyone says that our running game carried us to the Super Bowl. Actually, Jake did. Running didn't win against Jacksonville back in 03. Jake won. Jake out performed Tom Brady on the biggest stage. Jake beat Dallas in the playoffs when Parcells was in town. He has his faults but don't strictly discredit his accomplishments in Carolina. Jake was successful before Deangelo and Stewart. It was his risk taking that cost us games but it was his risk taking that won us alot of games and gave us plenty of moments. Going to miss you Jake and I hope you land on your feet somewhere else and show us that heart does pay off as oppose to taking plays off.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 5, 2010 4:01:38 PM

Im going to miss that crazy Cajun...

Posted by: AKJoe | Mar 5, 2010 4:05:49 PM

Ok, Pep is gone, Jake is gone....so who is this time going to sign? Are they going to be players in free agency or not?? I see all of these names that they could use slipping by, Kampman, Vanden Bosch, Bolden....are we going to do anything??

Posted by: Justin | Mar 5, 2010 4:10:00 PM

God bless Jake.

Posted by: Derek | Mar 5, 2010 4:33:03 PM

Face to face with an agent, but over the phone with Jake? Boy, some priorities are screwed up around here.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 5, 2010 4:41:56 PM

Honestly, they probably did this in part because of the fanbase. They thought this would placate the fans, because most people were over Jake and his struggles. However, they simply went to far in cutting half of the dang team today. Basically, they are sitting roughly 30 or so million dollars under last year's payroll and it looks like they are going to stiff the fans by not making a play in free agency. I am absolutely sickened by the thought of this. If the Panthers do not at least address some of our concerns/needs through free agency, then they deserve the fate of this upcoming season. It is simply not right to sit here and say "hey, I have 60,000 PSLs sold, so I have that money in my pocket in case of a work stoppage." We, the fans, are not responsible for that whatsoever. We spend our hard earned money to attend the games. Now you, owners and playes, who make all of the big bucks, need to act like grown ups and deliver a CBA. In the meantime, Panthers, get us some players instead of appearing to be absolutely the cheapest team in the league. Today, we look like the freaking Kansas City Royals...ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE...

Posted by: BabyBoi | Mar 5, 2010 4:43:05 PM

Was it Fox or Hurney that delivered the news in-person? Your subject doesn't match the story. Get it right, guys.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 5, 2010 4:53:31 PM

Spoke before I read the whole story...but still, confusing when you only ready the first few paragraphs. I admit my mistake.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 5, 2010 4:56:19 PM

Sorry to see Jake go, although the move was necessary. Thanks for the memories; I'm impressed with the way the Panthers handled this transition with as much delicacy and class as possible.

Posted by: Eric / Cat Crave | Mar 5, 2010 4:56:25 PM

Not sorry to see Jake go but want to know when Hurney and Fox will ger fired for giving him the big contract extension last year

Posted by: Paul | Mar 5, 2010 5:04:43 PM

Paul...no sh**. They pay Delhomme all that money and spend the FT on Peppers and then let both go.... scratching head????

Posted by: CW | Mar 5, 2010 5:20:11 PM

Going to miss you, Rajun' Cajun!! Thanks for the memories, both good and not so good. It's life. Good luck and God bless, Jake.

Posted by: 4theCats | Mar 5, 2010 5:57:20 PM

what are the chances of the Panthers and Will Witherspoon having a reunion now that he is a free agent and we cut diggs?

Posted by: Josh | Mar 5, 2010 6:06:11 PM

Cal me a sentimentalist, but what're the odds the Panthers bring in Will Witherspoon to play OLB since they released Na'il Diggs.

Posted by: Al | Mar 5, 2010 6:06:28 PM

Jake if u don't get a job, come sit with me at my PSLs when we host Chicago bears and there new no good DE, we can cheer on ur boy Gross as he stonewalls Peppers, while DeAng stiff arms and runs by him. Thx for at least playing hard and having a fer good years, learn to follow thru, pronate your hand, and the ball won't sail on you as much. Cya.

Posted by: Isaiah | Mar 5, 2010 6:07:37 PM

PS, we don't look cheap, we have numerous players who we need to sign longer term to keep great core together, our Offense, if we get 1 good to great WR, will be punishing. Our D improved a lot last 6 games, DT and DE are deep in this draft, and front office moves last 2 years have been pretty good. Hey, it's only March but I'm excited! 2010 could be a playoff year, and we are setting our roster up nicely for 2011 as well. Peace!

Posted by: Isaiah | Mar 5, 2010 6:12:52 PM

just looke at our schedule, ouch, another tough one: san fran will be better, seattle will be better, ravens are bruising, steelers will be better, cincy?, browns? eh, but will still be better, Giants probably will be better, and Arizona? so it'll either be a real grind, or hopefully some of those teams will stay down and we get at least 10 wins.

Posted by: Isaiah | Mar 5, 2010 6:20:30 PM

The Arizona Cardinals have traded receiver Anquan Boldin to the Baltimore Ravens for third and fourth round draft picks, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

This is a deal we could have made, no?

He would have been a great fit to take pressure of smitty.

I really hope the Panthers brass knows what they are doing, because if not then there will be a lot of pissed off fans.

Two names to keep in mind, Alonzo Morning and Larry Johnson.

Posted by: RP | Mar 5, 2010 6:49:02 PM

this sucks. I never thought id say this but its sucks to see him go. that man is a class act and i hope moore learned something from delhomme about having high character. good luck where ever you go and i hope we dont have to play you, EVER. love you buddy

Posted by: raf | Mar 5, 2010 7:38:45 PM

People on the radio and online celebrating Jake's departure need to be punched in the face.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 5, 2010 8:05:42 PM

I was devasted when I read the headline this morning. Some way to reward loyalty. I hope Jake signs with a team that beats the socks off us. And if JR signs that disgusting Michael Vick I will have to rid myself of my PSLs.

I had assumed that Matt would be our starting QB. But I think he could have benefited from Jake's mentoring. What a sorry state of affairs.

Posted by: BLH2005WKH | Mar 5, 2010 8:22:29 PM

wow....they really dropped the ball on the anquan bolden thing. and just think......if jake hadn't restructured his deal to save peppers (who we let leave the following year) he's not on the chopping block yesterday. effed up.

are we rebuilding after an 8-8 injury filled season? seriously? weak. and we missed out on bolden which could have made this move way more acceptable given the need for a #2 receiver. not now.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 5, 2010 10:24:10 PM

Charlottean(B-cats Nice!),,

He hit it on the head... Look I am all about saving and looking to the future, but not into 2011 just yet!!!!!!!

Seriously,
Pepp. gone! Need a 2nd receiver! Brayton and Brown OR WHO? I'm not going to argue... Unless Brown puts on 20LBS by August and can get that Spin move down, we need Somebody besides BRAYTON to help!
Either Offense or "D" pick one and spend some to get better.
Typical Fashion of Fox/Hurney bring in Cheap/Adequate help. Hackett,Kemouateau,Landon,Brayton who Else? Build on Receiver in the Draft... That has worked!!!!!!!! "After the Frenzie is Over then we will see whats left."
In closing! I could not APPLAUD Them(Hurney/fox) enough for making a ALBIET Hard Personal move to let Jake go! So Growth.. Whether it was forced from a lack of Contract or not. Can Happen! (I know it was forced and so does everyone else.)

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Mar 5, 2010 11:12:18 PM