« Panthers give QB Moore, LB Davis highest possible tenders -- 1st and 3rd round picks | Main | Marshall tender could generate action »

March 03, 2010

Moore "thrilled," says tender "speaks loud and clear" about how Panthers view him

Panthers restricted free agent quarterback Matt Moore could barely contain his enthusiasm tonight while discussing the team's decision earlier today to use the highest possible tender to keep him from going elsewhere in free agency.

Other teams would owe Carolina a first- and a third-round pick if Moore accepted an offer the Panthers chose not to match, a compensation level so steep that it's virtually certain no team will try to obtain him.

Moore, an undrafted free agent first signed by Dallas in 2007, also received a one-year tender offer of $3.043 million -- a dramatic increase over the $460,000 base salary he earned last season.

"My wife and I both are just very, very excited and kind of thrilled," Moore told the Observer. "This is a good thing. It’s something we’re going to enjoy and kind of get back to Charlotte and get working."

There have been times when it was hard to tell what the Panthers thought of Moore's long-term status with the team, especially before Jake Delhomme's broken finger forced a change at the position late last season. Moore took over and led the Panthers to a 4-1 record, throwing eight touchdown passes and only one interception as a starter.

"I’ve never thought that they didn’t think highly of me," said Moore. "That didn’t cross my mind, but something like this speaks loud and clear about how they feel. It’s good to know. Carolina is the place to be. It’s good to know they feel that way and I’m just looking to enjoy it and move forward."

Moore has been spending the offseason with family and friends in California. He said he'd return to Charlotte early next week, about a week before the start of the team's offseason conditioning program.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on March 3, 2010 at 09:00 PM | Permalink

Comments

Nice...I think he has real potential.

Posted by: Big "T" Hosch | Mar 3, 2010 9:10:22 PM

Now let the guy begin the season as the starter and let's see what we have. Please don't ever let Jake play again...PLEASE

Posted by: kevin | Mar 3, 2010 9:11:53 PM

Well said Kevin, Well said!

Posted by: CHUCK | Mar 3, 2010 9:22:36 PM

overall i think the panthers did good signing moore and davis to the tenders they did. i wish they had offered marshall the 1st round tender. he is a pretty good player

Posted by: yo yo ma | Mar 3, 2010 9:27:39 PM

He is the future QB....Jake is done

Posted by: Jim | Mar 3, 2010 9:32:57 PM

we need to hire the scout from dallas who found him and romo. two starting qb's in the nfl, who nobody drafted.

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 3, 2010 9:34:09 PM

GO MATT GO!!!!! You have my support.

Posted by: Steve Gilmore | Mar 3, 2010 9:37:02 PM

Matt sucks sadly I will waste season ticket money again this year to watch a failure at QB. You all will see remember me later. Matt is horrible. Jake sucks to. We need a proven QB. Plus we need a receiver to take the cover 4 off Smith without another receiver no QB really stands a chance here. Hey Im 40 pick me. Jerkoffs..

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 9:40:40 PM

don't be so quick to get excited about Moore.

Posted by: JRUD | Mar 3, 2010 9:56:24 PM

lets go moore. now, why did we only give marshall a tender worth a second round pick. someone is gonna snatch him up from under us.

Posted by: raf | Mar 3, 2010 10:02:58 PM

RAF to respond to your comment. There Jerkoffs!!!!

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:05:52 PM

@ raf

I totally agree with u about Marshall being tender only for a 2nd rounder.

They should have tender him for a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th rounder. Its a good deal becuz u can replace a good player in him with 3 of them.

@ the truth/JRUD

Was Matt M the main reason y'all finish with an 8-8 record. Also to bring life back to the fans, organization, and the players.

At least give him a chance, especially if Jake D can get a chance, why can't he. He has shown good potential in him.

Posted by: josh smith | Mar 3, 2010 10:08:59 PM

josh I pay good money for Four seats not to watch if someone has Potential but to watch Playoff games. Although Matt did good he will not take us to the Playoffs. Thank you for your interest but we need a receiver and a Seasoned QB.

PS--The Truth hurts.. Trust me I know..

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:13:46 PM

Well, "the truth", if Moore is half as bad as your command of the English language, we're in real trouble.

Posted by: Mills51 | Mar 3, 2010 10:18:59 PM

Steve is right. The Panthers are IDIOTS and any fan who think Matt Moore is going to take the Panthers anywhere are IDIOTS!!! Matt Moore is a backup QB at best. I am so sick of the Panthers and there die-hard ignorant fans who keep giving them your hard earned money while they make these stupid moves and fill the stadium. They just refuse to try to get better at QB but you know what f&@# them I'm going to another team.

X_Panther Fan

Posted by: Tim C | Mar 3, 2010 10:20:07 PM

The truth, please tell me what Moore does that makes him a bad QB.
I would like to see a real break down and not just hate filled BS.

Posted by: The truth is a pseudo reflective image of reality | Mar 3, 2010 10:20:39 PM

Mills51 Thank you so much for grading my paper. My breakdown.. Watch and see. I have looked into my crystal ball. Meet me back here March 3 2011 and you can tell me how right I am. Breakdown is B.S. Watch and see my fine feathered friends watch and see. Pseudo doesn't go with the name should have used Hybrid would have been more your speed ;-) big boy..

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:26:11 PM

I meant how right I be

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:26:34 PM

@ Tim C

Nobody isn't forcing u to go to their games.

When so called fans leaves their previous team to jump on other teams bandwagon, they gain new fans.

Posted by: josh smith | Mar 3, 2010 10:27:06 PM

I mean how right I am. Mills I trying but dis english ting be hard no wat im sain.

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:27:14 PM

I am a capitilist tea party democrat republican and i believe if ima pays for somethin i should get results. Esp if i pay 2000 year to watch loss afer loss after winning season to watch a washed up wash up. so 6000 in 3 season and nothing to really get excited about. I love the panthers and want to watch wins. no potential go play in the euro or canada with potential. GRADE THAT ONE.

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:30:05 PM

Truth is you read it weather or whether it is grammer ready you read it again and again. hahahahaha

Posted by: the truth | Mar 3, 2010 10:30:42 PM

So, the truth is really a matter of opinion? How convenient is that? What is the next powerball number? Breakdown is factual, not opinionated. Seems that the truth is confused about the difference in the two. Maybe the truth should change their name to, "the opinion"? Just saying, you know? I am just the psuedo-reflective image of reality, not the truth.....

Posted by: The truth is a pseudo reflective image of reality | Mar 3, 2010 10:49:57 PM

So, Matt Moore has made 8 career starts for the Panthers and is now 6-2 as a starter. Of those 8 teams played, 6 were playoff teams, one was the Giants (2009) and the other was the Bucs (2009). If you remove the putrid 2009 Bucs, the combined record of the 7 teams he's faced, at the time of the game, is 69-27. For what it’s worth, he’s 8-0 against the spread as a starter - meaning the team plays better than experts think they'll play when he starts. What am I missing? Has he not earned this job next year?

Posted by: Stewart | Mar 3, 2010 11:02:47 PM

Matt Moore has done nothing but win games as a starting QB in the NFL. 4-1 this season. Lets rate each game on 1-10:

vs. Tampa = seemed to struggle; played too timid; did not earn starting job; 4

vs. New England = similar performance
against a much better team; one big play to Smith; 3 (just cuz they lost)

vs. Minnesota = breakout performance; found his rythym; made good quick decisions to beat the blitz; stretched the D; 9

vs. NY Giants = dominant offensive performance; made all the right decisions and throws; secondary clearly stretched and opening run game (Stewart 200+ rush yrds) 8

vs. New Orleans = played well; few mistakes; played against a few backups; 8