« Marshall tender could generate action | Main | Seattle, Chicago to fight over Peppers? »

March 04, 2010

Peppers, Bears have mutual interest

The Chicago Bears and free agent defensive end Julius Peppers appear to be dancing, but according to this article from the Chicago Tribune, the asking price may be too steep.

An excerpt:

When defensive end Julius Peppers wanted out of Carolina after the 2008 season, the fourth ``mystery'' team on his wish list was the Bears, a league source familiar with the five-time Pro Bowl selection's trade demands told the Tribune. The others teams were identified as the Cowboys, Eagles and Patriots.

Three of those teams — the Bears, Patriots and Eagles — are expected to make a serious run at Peppers when the unrestricted free agent hits the market at 11:01 p.m. Thursday. The free-spending Redskins also figure to make a play, which could take the price tag out of the Bears' range. Peppers could command up to $15 million per year.

Elsewhere:

Posted by Observer Sports on March 4, 2010 at 01:21 PM | Permalink

Comments

Go for it! And when a new CBA comes around they'll be as cash strapped as we were because of it.

Posted by: Zon | Mar 4, 2010 2:20:19 PM

Peppers is too expensive.No team wants to sign him to a long term because he is 30 years old.Panthers were offering him the most money so far. thats why he will bounce around much like Owens.Except owens doesnt fall asleep when he is playing.He might end up with the Redskins because they like to throw away money @ players and Daniels just retired.
I am not surprised at the second-round tender the Panthers gave CB Richard Marshall.Thats how much he is worth.He is good cover corner but not great.Misses tackles sometimes.

Posted by: john | Mar 4, 2010 2:20:25 PM

So I guess we are going to be reading about where other guys are going, since Hurney says we will build through the draft?

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Mar 4, 2010 2:21:59 PM

Posted by: Briar_Central | Mar 4, 2010 2:32:27 PM

Ha ha, yeah, they all go to the Bears and the Bears still suck. Then half of them come home. Says something about the Bears if you ask me.

Posted by: 34+28=GREATNESS | Mar 4, 2010 2:44:14 PM

I guess its more realistic now that he's going to be in another uniform. He's like the girlfried that did you wrong over and over again, but for some crazy reason you still love her!
The guy had games where he would literally be unstoppable. Interceptions,Sacks,Forced Fumbles, Fumble recoveries, defensive touchdowns. That is the Peppers I am going to miss. When he turned it on, he really TURNED it on. On problem is, well he didn't turn it on half the time. oh well...............

Posted by: Smitty | Mar 4, 2010 2:46:06 PM

No matter what anyone says, JPeppers BEST years were with the PANTHERS!!! Thanks JPep... I appreciate your service...

Posted by: blackspeak,DC,USA | Mar 4, 2010 2:58:29 PM

"Why do all our players go to the Bears after they leave Carolina. They already have our Super Bowl defense."

Ummm....who do the Bears have on their D from Carolina? They had Muhammad at WR (he was old and awful then) and they have Omiyale on the O-line, and maybe some other 2nd-3rd stringers.

Posted by: DaBears | Mar 4, 2010 3:16:52 PM

Ain't gonna hurt my feelings whoever gets him. As Mr. T says...'I PITY THE FOOL' who gets him....lmao!!

Posted by: prestonsc | Mar 4, 2010 3:34:26 PM

To misquote Henny Youngman: "Take my DE, please"

Posted by: roger | Mar 4, 2010 3:39:41 PM

Everybody on the Panthers' Super Bowl defense, aside from Peppers, Witherspoon (Philly) and Grant (Seattle), is either fishing or playing golf. Oh, I believe Ricky Manning Jr. is in the UFL.

Posted by: dogear | Mar 4, 2010 3:41:02 PM

manning jr was the other guy who went to chicago, but thats all on defense.

Posted by: brendan | Mar 4, 2010 3:51:17 PM

Well, Peppers was a good team player and did alot for this organization. Now it is time for both the team and him to move on and I know I will not have a problem moving on as well. I wish him the best except when he plays against the Panthers. I just hope the team will take the savings and apply it to positions that really need to be addressed so we are able to move forward and make the playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

Posted by: Animal187 | Mar 4, 2010 3:52:17 PM

and it would no shock me at all if pep gets nowhere close to those laughable numbers listed above. he simply not worth that much, hes a real good but not great player, and when you pay those guys they disappear, ask washington about haynesworth last year, heck even ask the bears about moose, hes gonna get somewhere near 10-11 mill per at about 3 seasons when its all said and done, nfl contracts are mirages anyway, he might sign for 7 years 80 mill but they cut him after 3 because they see what we already saw, good luck with all that new team...

Posted by: brendan | Mar 4, 2010 3:57:39 PM

You arm chair coaches and GMs are so amusing.

Posted by: Shane Douglas | Mar 4, 2010 4:03:08 PM

I thought teams couldn't negotiate with FAs until 11:00 tonight. Are we going to charge the Bears with tampering?

Posted by: J | Mar 4, 2010 4:15:48 PM

Wouldn't you like to be a Peppers too!!!!

Posted by: Ric Ingram | Mar 4, 2010 4:19:00 PM

Carolina needs to sign the 5'9" 200 lb.fullback that put the mighty peppers on his a## last year .

Posted by: neo | Mar 4, 2010 4:32:14 PM

Last time I checked, this was tampering...

Posted by: P Shah | Mar 4, 2010 4:41:14 PM

Unfortunately, newspapers can't be charged with tampering, only teams. Note that all of this is columnist speculations other than the ubiquitous "league source".

Posted by: esl1928 | Mar 4, 2010 5:25:10 PM

HELLO

Posted by: prestonsc | Mar 4, 2010 5:45:57 PM

Remember this name...Kyle Vanden Bosch...;-)

Posted by: prestonsc | Mar 4, 2010 5:47:48 PM

Dante Wesley too played for the Bears during the 2006 season.

Posted by: El-Sid | Mar 4, 2010 5:52:43 PM

Who cares about him anymore? Not me. I cared when he was here but after I saw that all he wants is money, i could care less. I thought we wanted to send him packing?

Posted by: will | Mar 4, 2010 5:54:06 PM

The only reason I care about this is because of the tampering alligations. Too bad the NFL has already looked the other way. Not that it realy matters to the Panthers since Peppers is out the door anyways. (A draft pick would have been nice, which is what CHI would have needed to give up for violating rules). Why does the NFL have rules if they arent inforced? And why do I get the feeling that had this violation occured and Peppers was playing for oh, say the Cowboys, that the NFL would be all over this in the defence for the Cowboys.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 4, 2010 6:04:15 PM