« Peppers thanks Chicago ... | Main | Teammate: Hoover cut by Panthers »

March 08, 2010

Rhys Lloyd sends thanks

Rhys Lloyd spent the past two-plus seasons booming kickoffs for the Carolina Panthers, but the team didn't tender him as a restricted free agent. It would have required them to make him a one-year contract tender offer of just over $1 million, more than double the $460,000 base salary he earned last season.

Lloyd did his job well, consistently ranking among the NFL leaders in touchbacks. But the Panthers may be able to sign someone else to fill the role at a less expensive price.

Lloyd was perhaps the Panthers' team leader in using Twitter (@rhysjlloyd) to communicate with fans, friends and the media.

This morning, he sent out a series of messages to Carolina fans, just in case his time with the team really is over.

Here were his tweets:

"(At) this time regardless of what happens I would like to take the time to thank all the panthers faithful for ur support."

"I hope u all were happy with what I did. And I can honestly say that I wish I was still in Charlotte, everyone there is fantastic."

"All the best people. I will continue to tweet and reply. Please stay tuned. Maybe one day we can join forces again."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on March 8, 2010 at 09:05 AM | Permalink

Comments

Classy comments from Rhys. If he can fine tune his field goal abilities (or perhaps just get an opportunity to show them off), he should have no problem earning a spot on an NFL roster.

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 8, 2010 10:20:17 AM

Can someone please tell me if this means we dropped Lloyd? Is he still part of the team? I cannot find any report around this transaction. Also, why is Moose not listed on the Panthers active roster?

Posted by: Robert | Mar 8, 2010 10:36:28 AM

Sad we let him go, with Kasay aging and a lack of decent kickers in the league right now, this was not a wise move. He was one of the few weapons (maybe the only one) on ST this year.

Posted by: manu4t | Mar 8, 2010 10:39:50 AM

I agree with "manu4t" we should have tried to keep him. That I'm sure will come back and bite us in the a$$. With the way we played on ST this past year "poorly" we needed him to prevent numerous runbacks on kickoffs.

Posted by: John | Mar 8, 2010 10:43:08 AM

I love what the Panthers are doing. Keeping core young guys, letting older pricey vets walk.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 8, 2010 10:48:52 AM

moose is a ufa right now

Posted by: birdman760 | Mar 8, 2010 10:49:15 AM

Get 1 kicker that does it ALL ,Carolina needs REAL football players on the roster this year. It would NOT suprise me to see Kasay cut before the season starts either.

Posted by: hellfish | Mar 8, 2010 11:05:49 AM

@ Tim

Its good that they are thinking getting young, but whos going to "mentor" the young guys.

Thats what im not getting. But from what im hearing, the 2011 Free Agency class is going to be the best in league history. If thats the reason they are getting rid of them, then its a great idea.

As long if they don't get conservative of spending on the young players that will be FA in 2011.

Also what are they going to do this yr? They only have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th round draft picks this yr. Thats not enough to dress the needs of the team

Unless they sign cut players from other teams, that will hopefully contribute right away. Thats what i can think of.

Posted by: josh smith | Mar 8, 2010 11:07:19 AM

address what needs? josh.you act like we are the rams.we have the deepest off line in football,the best r.b tandem and steve smith.all we need on off is a #2 wideout and moose goodson and jarret may even be servicable now that we have a q.b.. our starting def as of now averages 24 years old.our back seven is solid. we still have tank tyler,lewis leanard,brayton,johnson,brown and hollis.i would feel comfortable going into next season with the players we have now and we are going to add depth thru the draft,free agency and final cuts in august.

Posted by: ray | Mar 8, 2010 11:20:08 AM

@Ray, hope you are right. Although with this weak effort to get this team better, I don't believe that will get this group into the playoffs even with the weak schedule. This team has went cheep with the next two years in mind. Everyone will through cheap shots at Fox next year but bottom line you need more play makers on both sides of the ball. Without an experienced 2nd WR this team will be very close to the same offense next year, yes MM will through less int's, but I am talking about points for and against. I am talking W/L's.

Posted by: anon | Mar 8, 2010 11:41:32 AM

Chris Harris just tweeted that Brad Hoover has been cut

Posted by: d-run | Mar 8, 2010 12:24:50 PM

And Ray, I don't disagree with your statement, but as of now Moose, Brayton and Thomas are not on team. They are all unrestricted free agents and are free to sign with any team.

Posted by: d-run | Mar 8, 2010 12:27:34 PM

Another stupid Panther move! I knew they would let him go...keep these old washed men all the time. The Club Med friends.

Posted by: Marco | Mar 8, 2010 12:28:13 PM

Now the only guys on the team 30 or older: Smith, Baker, Kasay

Look out Baker, me thinks you could be next

Posted by: d-run | Mar 8, 2010 12:32:00 PM

They would be dumda##es to let go Steve S, especially knowing theres no WR on that roster that can get any seperations from their defenders.

Steve S isn't going nowhere. So stop prediciting.

Brad H will be 33 yrs old this. Hes past his peak, i don't remember the last time he played a full 16 game season without being injuire.

As for Mushin M, his 2 yr contract extension has expire. He signed a 2 yr deal, so why are people acting like they officially release on a contract deal.

Hes now a UFA.

Posted by: josh smith | Mar 8, 2010 12:41:17 PM

Good luck to him. He was good at what he did.

Posted by: Ed | Mar 8, 2010 12:43:45 PM

Who is predicting that Smith is going to get cut?

Posted by: d-run | Mar 8, 2010 12:44:02 PM

Good comments today. I gotta say what a classy and kind guy Lloyd seems to be. If people want to love a player for his contributions, character and attitude towards the fans.. miss him! NOT Delhomme, or did I miss him making an ovation like that to the fans? Saying "I hope you're happy with what I did" wow, gracious. Take a NOTE peppers!

Oh and Ray, above, buddy you and I see our "needs" much differently. I mean yeah we got potential but come on dude. We NEED: MORE O line depth cause we still pass protected worse than we need to, a number 2 wideout will NOT be in the draft and we haven't signed Brandon Marshal so..., we also need to replace peppers production and have talent but need a DE, we're clearly also in need of a replace for the 2-3 DT's let go, we don't have a consistent kick returner, we don't have a solid, very talented QB or reliable veteran QB backup... dude we have a lot of needs that will not be met by the draft.

Posted by: handyman | Mar 8, 2010 12:55:10 PM

Bottom line is.. wow, I think it's safe to say we are in a rebuilding year now. Hard to pin down the rational though, seems we're SAVING money in an UNCAPPED year... curious, unless J. Rich. is going to make a big splash or keep it for himself and sell the panthers or something. Scary. We are scrapping a lot of guys and we have reached a threshold where I don't know if we can replace everyone with just second rate FA's and the draft.
Looks like it may be another tough year next year boys. Strap in.

Posted by: handyman | Mar 8, 2010 12:58:23 PM

Wait, WHAT? Hoover was cut!?! Wow, he was a loyal, long time member and backbone of the Panthers... this sounds like a desperation move to prepare for something...
Anyone else think all this does NOT sound Jerry Richardson like?
Something's going on.

Posted by: handyman | Mar 8, 2010 1:01:30 PM

This is getting "insane"

Did the Bucs do the same thing as for what the Panthers are trying to do which is to get "young".

Not trying to compare the 2 teams, but damn he wasn't getting paid that much.

Its to hard at this point for anyone to tell if the are forgetting about this season or they will tried to atleast improve the team. just saying

Posted by: josh smith | Mar 8, 2010 1:10:58 PM

I agree with handyman. Something's definitely going on, and it's not going to be good for the fans. A good team always has a good mix of veterans and younger players. This team now has too few veterans and there's little opportunity to get quality replacements. The draft and other teams' cuts are not going to make that kind of difference. It sure is looking like the 2010 Panthers are becoming the 2009 Chiefs.

Posted by: Wayne D | Mar 8, 2010 1:40:08 PM

@ Wayne D

LMAO. They are becoming the next Bucs in 2009, to the Panthers in 2010.

Using the same philosophy, which ends on a negative note. U have to "veterans" players to mentor the "younger guys". But to get rid majoirty of them, something has to be wrong.

Posted by: josh smith | Mar 8, 2010 1:49:02 PM

Hell of a kicker. He will find a job.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 8, 2010 1:52:58 PM

Are we in September already??? I'm reading what you guys are posting and it sounds like the Panthers already named the opening day 53 man roster, WTH???

@ Ray, buddy it almost sounds to me that you are the only one who sees that FA just began. Moose, Hollis, Brayton haven't signed with anyone at this point and the Panthers have never been one to go public with moves they are working on making. Everyone, except Ray, needs to just calm down. And like handyman said after he forgot that Matt Moore outplayed Jake D (I miss you already), strap in. We have MONTHS of the offseason left fool!!!!

Posted by: Why must I cry??? | Mar 8, 2010 4:24:25 PM