« Jets' Ryan: Panthers' signee Wright will make "major" impact on special teams | Main | Colts' Caldwell stands up for DT Johnson »

March 23, 2010

Smith: Losing teammates 'sad news'

Interviewed Steve Smith earlier this evening. His thoughts on:

The Panthers releasing players like Jake Delhomme and Brad Hoover:

"First of all, it's a business. Unfortunately guys were released. That's sad news. I lost some friends. My wife lost some friends who are moving away. That was unexpected. But one day, I'm going to be released as well. It's part of the game."

If it came as a surprise:

"Every year...there are some surprises. To say one was particularly surprising...this is a 'what you have you done for me lately' league and 'you're only as good as you're last game.' So hearing this on our team or another team, it doesn't surprise me. You can retire, get cut before you retire or get hurt. It's going to happen."

On Matt Moore being the starting QB:

"The way Matt played the last four games, he deserves all the accolades. He's a young guy, yes he is. Everybody at some point was where Matt is, a young guy waiting for an opportunity -- including myself. If Matt does what he's worked on, he'll be as good as he wants to be. But for me to say what kind of quarterback, he'll be, that's not my area."

Comfortable with the direction the team is heading?

"This second, today? We can anticipate all day, but if the season started today, we would be down. We don't have a potential third string quarterback or a bona fide backup quarterback. We don't have a guy we're considering for Moose's spot. There's a lot of areas we're missing. So now, we're an unfinished product."

Thoughts on being the Panthers' player rep:

"One of the things I got out of (meetings in Hawaii) is knowledge. I don't know exactly what's going on yet, and when I do I'll feel more comfortable talking about it. Ultimately what we're looking at is not a strike by players, but a lockout by the NFL. We would not be afforded the right to go to work. As the rep and a player, I have to prepare myself and my family for a lockout. I have to tell the young guys on the team, point them in the right direction about assisting with information financially about what they need to do, and with the lack of medical coverage."

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson's leadership role with the owners:

"All the stuff I've read, they're united. That's great. The NFLPA is unified as well. With Mr. Richardson at the helm, he's a man of integrity and one of the owners that's played the game. He knows what it's about, what this game is. With him there, it's going to be more of a push together to allow football to go on and not deal with a lockout. That's what I take, knowing very well the integrity and the things Mr. Richardson tells the players and what he stands for." -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on March 23, 2010 at 07:33 PM | Permalink

Comments

Smith is making it pretty clear he wants another WR.

At least it seems that way, he continues to stress wanting help or somebody fast and/or somebody to step in to replace Moose. He seems like he'd get upset should we not draft a WR in at least the 3rd round or higher.

We can always sign Josh McCown so if we don't get a QB this year thats okay, he's manageable.

Besides, why reach on a Tebow (who i wouldn't mind at the right spot either) or Pike? THey have a BIG chance of being a bust. We might as well get a WR and D-Lineman with our first two or three picks, and if Moore doesn't work out we draft a QB NEXT season when we finally get our first round pick back. Plus, if Moore sucks, we probably will be a top 15 pick.

It just makes sense to not pick a QB, especially in the second round and especially given our dire need for receiver help.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Mar 23, 2010 8:01:33 PM

Get rid of this mental and physical midget. He is a big crybaby. HE WILL START TROUBLE this year either on or off the field. I think now is the time to get some pick for this guy. Like he said it is business and his stock will never be any higher. If we could get a 1st and 3rd for him I would jump all over it.

Posted by: Big "T" Hosch | Mar 23, 2010 8:12:26 PM

Mr.Hosch....Steve Smith has given more to this team than any Panther in recent history. He has carried this team for a number of years.....however..I must say I would consider letting him go for the correct price and best deal.

Posted by: Marvin Nisanmooruster | Mar 23, 2010 8:19:13 PM

Steve just see things the way most fans do......we are completely blowing this team up and giving the new GM/Coach a clean slate new year (if there even is a season).

We have absolutely NO commitment to winning right now.

Posted by: Maj Schaefer | Mar 23, 2010 8:35:08 PM

@ Big "T" Hosch

By far the stupid comment i heard in recent weeks.

Lets get rid of a top 5-10 WR that can only get seperation and command double to triple teams. Who in the hell do we have on our roster who can do that? Oh thats right no one. Dwayne J hasn't proved anything.

Which team in hell do u see is going to give up a 1st and 3rd rounder for a almost 31 yr old WR? "No one"

He has been loyal to us of sticking with us through thick and thin, he said he wanted to retire as a Panthers. Will that happen? idk with them currently releasing all of the "aging" and "overpaid" players.

Why not get younger to build for the future, not hanging on for dear life to keep the aging players who were mediocre at best. Finally didn't make the playoffs with them.

I been saying over the yrs that Steve S needs another WR that can actually play. Drafting "bust" USC/ Ohio State Wrs hasn't done good for us.

Hopefully this yrs draft we draft 2 good WRs, one or two with true #1 Wr potential, or one who can catch from the slot to move the chains. In which we had been missing since Ricky P retire.

Posted by: adam carter | Mar 23, 2010 8:52:48 PM

The Rock thinks Steve Smith is sad that he didnt get a chance to lay the smack down on Jake.

Posted by: TheRockSays | Mar 23, 2010 9:18:02 PM

No defending the comments of Hosch but Steve was somewhere in the low 20's in receptions this year.

Posted by: Marvin Nisanmooruster | Mar 23, 2010 9:20:10 PM

I hope they don't release Smith in the future. I'm also not very happy with them releasing Hoover. They should have kept him. I'm sure he would have restructured his contract to stay. He is valuable to the running game. I would have thought with all of the releases, the Panthers would have been a little more active in free agency in getting lower value players to fill the new holes.

Posted by: DG | Mar 23, 2010 9:25:23 PM

This Hosch is an idiot.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 23, 2010 9:35:34 PM

Marvin, You know Jake was to blame !

Posted by: nasty704 | Mar 23, 2010 10:03:15 PM

Ditto, Kevin !

Posted by: nasty704 | Mar 23, 2010 10:04:26 PM

Gamble 20 - you are an idiot. To say Steve Smith is a cry baby is complete BS. The guy basically went a season last year and didn't catch a ball (until Moore got in) and didn't bitch at all except to say one time he wasn't being used. Any other top receiver in the league would have been going crazy.

Posted by: AZ | Mar 23, 2010 10:04:48 PM

Why does Gantt look like he has diarrhea?

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 23, 2010 11:00:06 PM

@ AZ

Clearly u must haven't read (Gamble 20) post carefully. He never once said about Steve S being a cry baby.

Ur mistaking him (Big "T" Hosch) that had posted that posted.

Posted by: adam carter | Mar 23, 2010 11:05:43 PM

@ AZ

Ur clearly mistaking him from (Big "T" Hosch) that had posted that comment.

Posted by: adam carter | Mar 23, 2010 11:08:30 PM

finally the great one has come back to charlotte. moore to smith, touchdown!

Posted by: john fox | Mar 23, 2010 11:25:24 PM

Anyone who thinks we should release Steve Smith is crazy. Steve Smith will go down as the most dynamic playmaker in Panthers history and probably the best overall player in Panthers history. It wasn't until last year when Smith had a sub-par season and that is because Jake Delhomme(who clearly lost it this season) was not benched sooner. Steve Smith would have been a Pro-Bowler this year if Matt Moore would have started 4 games sooner. And he will be a Pro Bowler next season.

Posted by: JamesT | Mar 24, 2010 12:53:36 AM

If Jacoby Ford make it to our pick in the 2nd Rd we need to get this guy

Posted by: Catz2010 | Mar 24, 2010 1:39:21 AM

What's the chance that above par defense by other teams is the reason for sub par offense on our team?

Posted by: bboaze | Mar 24, 2010 6:27:34 AM

if steve smith is the players best option for their rep, id say the owners have this one in the bag. lets just hope he doesnt hit anyone during the negotiations

Posted by: dar456 | Mar 24, 2010 8:21:41 AM

Steve told what he thought of Jake during the game that he was wearing a mic. Steve told Jake "I love you as a friend but I HATE you as a quarterback". I could not agree more.

Posted by: JAY | Mar 24, 2010 8:26:12 AM

if i was to start a team my #1 pick would be steve smith. im surprised hes not more upbeat.jake was horrible.smith looked like the smith of old when moore started.backup q.bs are a dime a dozen.we will probably get a better one than mccown .weve got 6 months.there should still be quality wideouts and def linemen left when we get to the 2nd round.i just hope they pick the best talent and not the biggest need.with 3 picks in the 6th and 2 in the 7th we should be able to get some depth for special teams and the lines.we got scwhartz and bernadeau in the 7th round in 08 and they both played well when they started last year.i see bernadeau as the starter at right guard.dont worry steve.

Posted by: raydaz | Mar 24, 2010 8:44:01 AM

bboaze - - - - you r real funny. I will b laughing about it all day.

Posted by: RIP | Mar 24, 2010 8:48:05 AM

Why is everybody wanting Hoover??? He carried the ball 9 times in 3 years! I don't get it. There is a lot of man-lovers on here.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 24, 2010 8:48:36 AM

Rob, you seem to lack any football knowledge to think a FB is all about catches and yards.

Posted by: pland67 | Mar 24, 2010 9:18:41 AM