« RFA deadline passes with no offers | Main | Panthers claim CB/returner off waivers »

April 16, 2010

Panthers Brown growing into job, literally

We're going to have more on Panthers DE Everette Brown in the paper this weekend, but it's worth pointing out now that there's more of him.

When Brown arrived last year he looked, well, normal. Athletic, yes. But not like you'd think an NFL defensive lineman is supposed to look. Now he's added 10 pounds and he's going to have to find a tailor to let his jackets out, since it appears most of it is in his upper half. At 6-1, 260, he looks more like Dwight Freeney than Robert Mathis now, but said he doesn't think he's sacrificed speed for strength.

The hope is that it helps him hold up against the run better (although he was better than some expected at that last year), and avoid the midseason slump that marked his rookie campaign.

"I attribute that to a little time in the offseason, allowing my body to get well, but the biggest thing I changed was my diet, just eating better," Brown said. "I eat more, but it’s a better quality of food, better choices, and a balanced diet.

"I put on weight, but don’t feel heavy. The main thing for me is still speed, so I don't want to get too heavy and sacrifice my quickness. I've put on some weight, but I don't feel it when I'm running."

He's also growing in a mohawk, which looks out of character on the mild-mannered second-year end.

But to the credit of his offseason training, the mohawk's not nearly the first thing you notice when he walks in a room.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on April 16, 2010 at 02:06 PM | Permalink

Comments

That fires me up! Im seeing even more why we traded next years first rounder to sign him. Best of luck for a great season!!

Go Panthers!!

Posted by: PantherPride | Apr 16, 2010 2:34:26 PM

This is great news! IF he can keep his speed and add weight, I think this kid has the heart to help us forget that other DE that used to be here.

Posted by: DNYCE | Apr 16, 2010 2:44:26 PM

Brown will be a beast!Watch...

Posted by: bryant80 | Apr 16, 2010 2:45:35 PM

The 49er got Ted Ginn for a fifth round draft pick....

Posted by: bryant80 | Apr 16, 2010 3:02:04 PM

The 49er got Ted Ginn for a fifth round draft pick....

Posted by: bryant80 | Apr 16, 2010 3:02:04 PM

and....

Posted by: carson m | Apr 16, 2010 3:16:26 PM

I don't care if he is Freeney or Mathis, I want him to be Mike Rucker

Posted by: Panthersnewbrass | Apr 16, 2010 3:27:50 PM

Why weren't the Panthers in the chase for Ted Ginn, both as a receiver and a returnman? For that matter even Santonio Holmes (though he has baggage), when both went very cheap-a fifth round choice!

Posted by: SC Ken | Apr 16, 2010 3:28:55 PM

Everette Brown is a class act stand up guy from Eastern NC!! With a little more weight I think he is going to flourish this year! Very excited about his potenial. I think the Panthers are gonna be nasty on D and we are gonna win some ball games this year!! Lets go FOXY get those boys ready for another great year of Panthers football.

Posted by: Pantherhill82 | Apr 16, 2010 3:33:05 PM

We don't have a fifth round pick this year

Posted by: Durtis Curtis | Apr 16, 2010 3:51:46 PM

Why would go after Ginn? His contract is huge for what he brings, which is little, very little! He got big 1st round money. That is why they only got a 5th round for him. Holmes- why would even want him? There is so much more than just bringing in a guy just because he has a well known name in the past (Ginn being in college)

Posted by: Mike | Apr 16, 2010 3:56:04 PM

Brown is a OK player, nothing special. Hes kinda small for that position.

Posted by: JD | Apr 16, 2010 4:36:59 PM

Woo Hoo! I can't wait to see #91 get more sacks than #90 formally known as a Panther!!

Posted by: Miller, High Life | Apr 16, 2010 5:00:30 PM

I want Darin Gantt to write an article about me. I gained 10 pounds and my wife said that my butt needs it's own name now.

Posted by: RW | Apr 16, 2010 5:04:10 PM

Brown is a OK player, nothing special. Hes kinda small for that position.

Posted by: JD | Apr 16, 2010 4:36:59 PM
============================================

Wow.... you have to be a cowboy fan. leave brown be and let the grown-ups do the talking.

Posted by: newestcat10 | Apr 16, 2010 5:27:02 PM

peppers had ten sacks last year. he can get that. i'm starting to like this team moore and moore. it's not going to be a wasted season.

Posted by: joe cool | Apr 16, 2010 5:28:02 PM

I was in Tally when Brown was going through. This guy is legit. He IS the replacement for Pep. He's gonna be fun to watch. We've got a young and very talented team. This is going to get interesting...

Posted by: DLittle | Apr 16, 2010 8:28:39 PM

i always love brown and our Defense, my problem is the offense, matt moore i want you to make to put a spot light on our tide end carolina have the best tide end in the leage we just never had a quater back who focuse in our tide end if they can block the way they do that mean they can cach one last thing john we need another speedy wide reciever please

Posted by: wembi | Apr 16, 2010 10:44:54 PM

Take a look at Who I think the panthers will pick in the 2nd and 3rd round of this years draft.

Posted by: James | Apr 16, 2010 11:17:50 PM

The reason the Panthers didn't go after Ted Ginn is because he's too expensive, and we already have a Ted Ginn on the roster, named Dwayne Jarrett. Why trade a draft pick for ANOTHER unknown / bust potential at receiver?

Posted by: Eric / Cat Crave | Apr 16, 2010 11:23:21 PM

i am so tired of all these armchair QB proposing ridiculas trades and upset cause the panthers haven't done much in offseason,do the research,most high priced FA pickups do not work out.Our past shows that the best way to build is youth and draft.Wait until after the draft and camp to complain,but for now read a book ,take a tums ,but please stop thinking so hard before you hurt yourself

Posted by: dhard | Apr 16, 2010 11:46:40 PM

Wow wembi... Wow.. I don't even know where to begin.. You are a complete and total bonafide moron. Refrain from using this site please. I highly doubt you could even read the article.

Posted by: Brandon | Apr 16, 2010 11:54:29 PM

He JD you are kind of small in the brain area......and the girls say very small elsewhere bimbo dude! Go #91. Git sum.

Posted by: MajorLeague | Apr 17, 2010 8:25:08 AM

Oh wow Brown Gained 10lbs! so what is he now..240!! oooo weeeeee! No way in BLEEP! is he 260 plus! considering he was around 230 or so..soaking! wet! last year. I mean the bottom line is he's a "Tweener" and that's why all those teams passed on him. He's a 3rd down pass rusher...nothing more..we gave up way! to much to get him and now we are paying for it. Hopefully he can some how find a way to be more effective this year as he will be starting I guess.

Posted by: Cheven | Apr 17, 2010 12:58:44 PM

Look people, Pep is gone. Good riddens to him. He didn't want to be here anymore. If he had he would still be. People ge caught up in the tangibles and don't look at the intangibles. He's quick, agile and with some time will be productive. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The defense will be fine. Better than the so called "experts" say. Another thing why are there so many whiners on these blogs? Support your team!

Posted by: Tom | Apr 17, 2010 6:57:11 PM

WHAT IF THEY ALREADY GOT THAT 17TH PICK, GNATT! Brown was able to develop behind Poopers and Johnson. His experience at the NFL level on the team that he has a shot starting with is much more invaluable than staying in college one more season and then getting picked with the 17th overall this year by the Panthers. Fox just accelerated the process and I predict it will pay dividends.

FOR ALL THE DOUBTERS--- see 2-time pro-bowler Ryan Kalil. NOW GET OVER IT (the alleged "lost" draft pick) ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Apr 18, 2010 1:35:06 AM