« Missouri RG signs with Panthers | Main | Panthers play the numbers game »

April 24, 2010

Undrafted rookie agreements (Update 2)

The Panthers have already begun working to sign their undrafted class. They could sign as many as 19, though they might not go that far.

Based on reports from agents and colleges and other sources, here's a look at the players they have agreed to deal with thus far:

WR Trey Young (South Carolina State), FB Rashawn Jackson (Virginia) OL Ray Hisatake (Hawaii), Kurtis Gregory (Missouri) and Mark Ortmann (Michigan), DT Andre Neblett (Temple), S Matt O’Hanlon (Nebraska) and P Blake Haudan (Minnesota).

Stay tuned. We'll update as needed.

(Update: 8:16 a.m. The Panthers have also agreed to deals with K Aaron Pettrey (Ohio State) and TE Andrew George (BYU).

(Update Monday, 3:34 p.m.) They also agreed to deals with RB Daniel Porter (Louisiana Tech), G Noah Franklin (Oklahoma State) and LB Sean Ware (New Hamspire).

That gives them a class of 13, which brings them to 84 players heading into this weekend's minicamp.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on April 24, 2010 at 09:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

What of Jarrett Brown? Seen that in a few spots.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 24, 2010 10:13:10 PM

Aren't all of these players disguised QBs, consistent with the Panther MASTER PLAN to obtain ALL of the rookie and veteran NFL QBs. Esoterically, I love the plan: "In the land of the blind, the one with all of the QBs is king" (sic).

Posted by: David H | Apr 24, 2010 10:18:09 PM

@David H: Close, they're all CB

Posted by: Bob | Apr 24, 2010 10:21:46 PM

Jackson, Gregory, Neblett and maybe O'Hanlon seem like good pickups/keepers

Posted by: Good stuff | Apr 24, 2010 10:22:15 PM

Why haven't the Panthers tried to sign the Combine's top performer at WR, Scott Long (from Southport NC), who was Louisville's leading pass catcher in 09?

Is it an injury question about his broken foot, and torn ACL n 08?

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Apr 24, 2010 10:25:02 PM

UNC DT Aleric Mullins is still out there too

Posted by: Good stuff | Apr 24, 2010 10:26:26 PM

UNC DT Aleric Mullins is still out there too

Posted by: Good stuff | Apr 24, 2010 10:26:26 PM

Along with NT Aleric Mullins, could the Panthers still sign DT Trey Bryant of Baylor, or NT Travis Ivey?

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Apr 24, 2010 10:29:51 PM

Why do you think the Panthers passed up on DT Jeff Owens (6-1, 304, 4.83-40, and 44 bench reps) several times, was it for medical reasons?

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Apr 24, 2010 10:56:48 PM

The reason they passed up on Jeff Owens was for a few reason from what I'm reading Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide. 1. Lazy, 2. unmotivated and 3 injury stricken (medical reasons).

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 24, 2010 11:30:21 PM

I can't believe we let the Cowboys sign WR Terrell Hudgins from Elon. The dude broke all of Jerry Rice's 1-AA records and caught everything that came his way. I know his 40 times weren't 4.4, but he is a big possession type receiver we need. We take a risk on an unproven player at WR and let the stud leave the state. I don't get these guys sometimes....

Posted by: Da Da | Apr 24, 2010 11:54:43 PM

Matt O'Hanlon from the land of the Huskers looks like a definite keeper.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 25, 2010 12:05:03 AM

speaking of Mullins they should have drafted Cam Thomas! that just still baffles me I mean the guy is the best Run stuffing DT in the Draft outside the top 3 DT's that were picked in the 1st round.
We pass him up 2 times! and he goes to Chargers in 5th or 6th I think. I guess panthers like small DT's for meeks systems...sigh...I don't but time will tell I guess.

Posted by: Cheven | Apr 25, 2010 12:24:58 AM

I think since the Cowboys cut Crayton that would be an excellant pick up for the Panthers.

Posted by: NC Tarheel | Apr 25, 2010 12:29:32 AM

Da Da and others, you can't get everything you want. Who is to say they didn't make a move for him/them, but lost out to another franchise. For example, Cowboy fans are ten times much more supportive of their team (and that is a huge understatement). Maybe the guy wanted to be cheered and encouraged instead of booed and criticized.

Speaking of criticized, I still can't get over how they did not get Golden tate at the top of the 3rd and got Armanti Edwards at the bottom of the third instead (for that trade of a future second round pick). I am not saying they didn't try to trade up for Golden, but to go for Edwards later on because you heard someone else is going to get him instead?? Is this guy really worth a 2nd round pick??? I hope this is one of those deals that makes no sense intially and ends up being a brilliant move later on, because I just don't get this one. Anyone can help me out with this one (other than just saying "get over it"). I really want to understand this guys value, other than being a project.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Apr 25, 2010 12:45:12 AM

at least they didn't trade next year's first

Posted by: john | Apr 25, 2010 12:56:37 AM

Nevermind, got my answer. Thanks Chuck...

Posted by: SYRPIS | Apr 25, 2010 12:58:40 AM

I wish they would go after LaGarette Blount too... I can't believe he went undrafted.

Posted by: appstategrad2008 | Apr 25, 2010 1:45:13 AM

I love O'Hanlon. This kid has a 37" vertical leap, and runs a 4.6 - 40. He may not be a starter right away, but I can almost guarantee you he'll make the squad as a backup safety, and will be an absolute demon on special teams. I can't believe he wasn't drafted.........

Posted by: Huskers86 | Apr 25, 2010 1:48:37 AM

I played with Cam the guy is good and big but he take plays off, he needs to be motorvate likew the expert said sometime they are right and sometime they are wrong, he is right about cam those. Congrat to Cam but I wish he could been a panthers.

Posted by: john | Apr 25, 2010 2:18:14 AM

I sure hope you played with Cam in High School. Your rambling grammar looks like that of a 5th grader.

Posted by: F.Whit | Apr 25, 2010 8:44:37 AM

We ALWAYS have 4 QB's in camp, we only had 2 on roster, we had to draft or pick two up, everyone relax, as FOXy says, we haven't had a practice yet. I like Moore, but if Clausen or Pike beat him out, I think it will be thru fair competition and then you say great whoever wins it. I still am of the opinion if they let Amanti Edwards in that competition he'd win. So Syrpis and you others questioning Edwards - he was clearly (by vote even) the BEST player in all FCS or 1-AA for two straight years, has proven NFL speed (out ran Michigan guys and many LSU guys) and will bring a hard nosed Football jolt into the receiving core and become fast freinds with Smitty, you will NOT be disappointed with this guy however the Panthers use him, as long as they use him - WE HAVE TO GET MORE CREATIVE NOW to compete at the highest level of the NFL.

Posted by: isaiah | Apr 25, 2010 8:58:29 AM

Being a top D1-AA player is kind of like being the tallest midget. Commenting that Armani Edwards is a NFL starting quarterback on any NFL roster is obviously a fan and not rational to the realities of the NFL. Armani is a good athlete worthy of a draft pick further down the draft for the possibility he 'may' be taught to be a special teams player (he's never returned punts and kicks in a game in his life) and receiver. I appreciate what Armani did in D1-AA. He had some good games and one dream game in Ann Arbor a few years ago but he also lost to Wofford and other lower D1-AA teams. He gets a chance to prove his worth- starting this weekend in mini-camp.

Posted by: Alto | Apr 25, 2010 9:24:52 AM

"Carolina general manager Marty Hurney didn't prescribe to that line of thinking, however"

Is there someone at this formerly adequate newspaper who knows the difference between "prescribe" and "subscribe?" Used improperly, the former might appear as Mr. Chandler uses it: "I ain't going to prescribe to this rag no more. Expechully when the front page is a half a page wide." But "prescribe" means to "write before;" your MD does this when he prescribes a tonic, or ritalin, We could use it here, too .. "I prescribe six years of grammatical education for Mr. Chandler." To "subscribe" is literally to "underwrite," either financially, or by endorsement. Example: "I subscribe to the theory that everybody who publishes anything should know the meanings of all the words he employs."

Posted by: Bubba | Apr 25, 2010 9:54:30 AM

Alto, you're a dbag. Joe Flacco has proven that D1-AA QBs can compete in the NFL. Armanti destroyed the players on the field. When he played a big time program at a big time venue, he performed. You couldn't carry Armanti's jock your such a poon. And by the way, ASU beat Wofford last year so get your facts straight before exposing your idiocy.

Posted by: gradyhog | Apr 25, 2010 10:54:55 AM