« Panthers select Clausen overall | Main | Panthers choose LaFell 78th »

April 23, 2010

Watch Clausen's interview with Gruden

Here's the "Quarterback Camp" interview of Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen by ESPN's Jon Gruden, which has resulted in some criticism of Clausen. The key segment, the discussion of an interception late in a game against North Carolina, is from 6:05 to about 6:30. Judge for yourself.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 23, 2010 at 08:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

You should have linked to ESPN.com so they could make the ad money for the video THEY produced. Just saying it's just courtesy.

I REALLY want a receiever, but I understand clausen. Think about it, at one time he was considered a maybe top 5 pick. Who cares if he's a "bust"? He's only gonna get what? 3 mil guranteed on a 5 year deal? But his upside is HUGE! and if Moore works out guess what? It's just Rivers and brees all over again.

I understand wanting a WR. I really do, but come on guys. It's Jimmy clausen. Besides, there's still several WRs on the boars even (as of now) Emerson Griffin at DE. I like how things are shaping up.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Apr 23, 2010 8:50:16 PM

Is this the best you guys have an hour and a half after the pick? You three suck. Gantt is the biggest suckester.

Posted by: cmo | Apr 23, 2010 8:57:07 PM

This sports writing stuff isn't really all that hard....your excuse?

Posted by: cmo | Apr 23, 2010 8:58:13 PM

I agree Gamble. Low risk, high reward. Only one WR has come off the board since we picked. Still lots of talent left. There are a couple players still avaliable that had a first round or high second round grade

Posted by: d-run | Apr 23, 2010 9:00:53 PM

He was kinda hard on him, but I think its b/c he knows he can be better. he did the best thing you do in that situation and that was to take notes! VERY IMPRESSIVE THAT HE TOOK NOTES!

Posted by: John | Apr 23, 2010 9:01:21 PM

GRowing up a Gamecock fan, I have never liked any Clausen. We now have the QB controversey we tried to avoid with Jake and Matt. And we have not addressed any of our needs.

Posted by: redonkulous | Apr 23, 2010 9:16:49 PM

Any shamecock fan has no knowledge of what a real QB is supposed to look like. Clausen is a steal at that spot. He (or Moore) can always be traded later for talent.

Posted by: james reed | Apr 23, 2010 9:27:15 PM

Maybe 2011 this will be our coach.

Posted by: jay | Apr 23, 2010 9:31:21 PM

Redonkulous what are you smoking? We did addreess some needs. The draft is still early. We needed another quarterback. And we just drafted a WR , Lafell from LSU. Now we can address the d-line tomorrow with the fourth round pick or after that. We have six picks remaining. Relax!

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 23, 2010 9:35:49 PM

All I'm saying is that we could have gotten a veteran QB from free agency and spent our pick on a good DT. We missed Cody by a few picks. We didn't need a young QB to challenge Matt.

Posted by: redonkulous | Apr 23, 2010 10:00:27 PM

Could have a battle on our hands for the QB position. Have to give Clausen time to develope, although according to ESPN he's going into a system that he's accustomed to as a play action QB. Same offense as at ND.

Armanti is a stretch because of his size I think. Could get injured a lot.

Posted by: Michael Painter | Apr 23, 2010 11:22:30 PM

Great picks by the Panthers tonight. I like all three. Clausen is a steal at 48. And you know what? I'm betting Matt is up to the challenge. I like this pick (to make Matt Moore a better starting QB). And if Clausen plays BETTER than Moore did after Jake got hurt last season, Look out! With the O-line, 28 and 34, 89, and LaFell's upside, we may not need a defense. We may start winning games 45-44.

Posted by: Kurtis | Apr 24, 2010 12:48:59 AM

How is that segment controversial whatsoever? He said there was a miscommunication---yeah, he put most of the blame on the WR but so what?!

Posted by: Quintin | Apr 24, 2010 10:01:00 AM

Gamble, it wasn't the Observer's choice for ESPN to put that segment on YouTube.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 24, 2010 4:11:09 PM

Clausen is so stuck on himself and think his stuff doesnt stink. I see him as the type that says here I am bow down. The wrong attitude to have. I think he will bomb and at best be practice squad

Posted by: WonderWho | Apr 24, 2010 6:10:41 PM

I agree Kurtis. We need a real QB competition. Drafting Clausen lights a fire under Matt Moore the same way Jonathan Stewart lit that same fire up DeAngelo Williams. Now we added a little depth at WR with Brandon LaFell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4ZPAh54ec and dont underestimate Armanti Edwards abilities at a slot wideout or trick play QB.

Posted by: JamesT | Apr 24, 2010 9:32:50 PM

WOW!!!! THAT BLOCK WAS VICIOUS HE KILLED THAT GUY - the one on the youtube link above

Posted by: JamesT | Apr 24, 2010 9:34:03 PM

love the picks this year and crazy hit by LaFell.... cant wait for pre season to see these guys play!

Posted by: Danny | Apr 24, 2010 10:38:39 PM