« Bears blog: Predict Peppers' sack total | Main | Panthers' Davis back? His 4.47 40 suggests so »

May 18, 2010

Pike continues winning ways in hometown

Panthers rookie QB Tony Pike threw out the first pitch at last night's Reds-Brewers game, giving him a curtain call back home before he returns to work next week.

Pike compiled a 16-2 record as the starter to help lift the University of Cincinnati to national prominence, after going 21-4 in two years at Cincinnati's Reading High.

Wearing a Reds jersey with his number 16, he tossed in an acceptable pitch, waving to an appreciative crowd as he walked off.

He also dropped by the broadcast booth for an interview with Fox Sports Ohio play-by-play man Thom Brennaman, who does some NFL work on the side.

After declaring QB Matt Moore "the man," and talking about how he hopes to make the roster, Pike and Brennaman stumbled over themselves trying to recall where Panthers training camp was. After some initial confusion as to whether it was at Winthrop or Wofford, Pike finally offered: "I know it'll be hot."

For the record, the first-place Reds won 6-3, extending Pike's magic touch in his hometown.

(Thanks to Brian Baker at cnati.com for the photo)

— Darin Gantt20100517b-1

Posted by Observer Sports on May 18, 2010 at 08:19 AM | Permalink

Comments

Well, if Tony is going back home and declaring that Matt is the man, then Matt must be doing a lot to impress the rookies. Also, Tony says that he HOPES to make the roster. It may be a good preseason in Carolina after all.

Posted by: TruthBKnown | May 18, 2010 9:03:03 AM

He looks like Romo in that picture. I was happy with the Clausen pick but didn't expect Pike to be there so late. If I knew we could get Pike late in the draft then I may have went for Golden Tate with the 2nd rd pick.

Posted by: Andy | May 18, 2010 9:16:39 AM

Pike will be better than Clausen! Mark it down.

Posted by: MikeW | May 18, 2010 9:59:01 AM

I'm having a hard time getting over my Notre Dame hate in order to root for Clausen. I hope Pike turns out to be really good and beats him out.

Posted by: Authority | May 18, 2010 10:32:51 AM

Doesn't mean Moore is impressing anybody. Just that he's getting the #1 reps by default. Clausen is starting after the bye at the latest.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 18, 2010 10:46:12 AM

What does "the man" mean to everyone else? In my experiences it means that he is good.

Posted by: TruthBKnown | May 18, 2010 12:29:30 PM

@authority...I'm with you on the Notre Lame getting over...He better be good!

Posted by: hellfish | May 18, 2010 12:48:44 PM

Panthers are going all da way with clausen starting and tony pike at backup

Posted by: Yung cac | May 18, 2010 3:09:13 PM

Moore got his reps by default?! Seriously..
Clausen nor Pike have made it through training camp.

However with Fox evaluating the guys, who knows!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | May 18, 2010 3:44:11 PM

The Creep is back. I wish it would go. Moore has the #1 spot by default because HE EARNED IT. Try getting with the program, or at least keeping up.

And BTW, FOX WILL GO, but on his own terms. :)

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 18, 2010 6:09:44 PM

pike reminds me of joe flacco.i think he will be better than clausen.hes a winner like matt moore.

Posted by: RAYDAZ | May 18, 2010 7:07:57 PM

Sypris

Were you directing that at me,, you..(not gonna do it). My comment was sarcasm toward Procton. Who needs to keep up. Slow(remedial) as usual.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | May 18, 2010 10:35:24 PM

Yes, but it's not your comment but your username that I was targeting. It's gotten a bit passe, don't you think? Again, Fox will be gone after this season, despite the record, so you can give it a rest now.

Anyway, Kris Jenkins is obviously smoking crack:

BTW, take note of his sack total after two seasons away from John Fox and his crew. Poopers will have better results, but will eventually fizzle out... as usual.

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 19, 2010 3:16:29 AM

Nope I would say consistent. It's my username get over it, "SYRPIS".

Posted by: fox has to go!! | May 19, 2010 7:46:31 AM

My apologies about the other remark, previous to the last.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | May 19, 2010 8:30:56 AM

Pike sits the bench like Arron Rodgers did and adds about 25 or so lbs in muscle he will be the next ben rothlisberger without the off the field issues I hope.His height is perfect for seeing over the line and to make good reads.

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | May 19, 2010 8:49:15 PM

What kind of moron makes a screen name like "Fox Has To Go"? Looks like some1 has serious identity problems, or serious troubles getting a grip on reality.

Posted by: MrBernz | May 20, 2010 7:58:25 AM

I've been posting here you punk(mrbernz) for a while now, I have read your responses to other posters in other areas and all you can do is act like a little ...., instead of act mature and disagree with someone respectfully you attack them. Like alot of the other ones on here. Worry about the topic and post something intelligent, Idiot!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | May 20, 2010 8:59:43 AM

You and your stupid Mickey mouse looking cat, with your screen name.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | May 20, 2010 9:03:17 AM

Someone made the comment they should be reporting on Jake, and the answered the call. I guess the hacks didn't realize that person was joking. What a joke this staff is. Seriously? What's next, a report on Brad Hoover?? I mean, speaking of getting over it already.... wow!

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 20, 2010 10:45:54 AM

i believe that fox does have to go,just for the way he ruined last season.dear procton,matt moore apparently impressed the right people , especially after last years performance when he had a 98 q.b rating and gave the vikes and giants a mercilous beatdown.get over your man crush on jake.you are always wrong.barring injury,matt moore will take the panthers deep into the playoffs.

Posted by: raydaz | May 20, 2010 11:05:14 AM

In order to get to playoff, you have to have defense and right now it will very difficut to stop the run and with low budget, 6-10 record will save Fox's job.
Fox is great coach if he get an extention, panther will win superball in next five years.

Posted by: ike | May 21, 2010 11:00:39 AM

Putting aside punching teammates... how can you hate this guy...?

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 21, 2010 11:38:54 PM

Looks to me like he's baseball material.

Posted by: tim frenchko | May 22, 2010 10:55:40 PM