« Panthers chat with Observer reporters today! Best question wins a $10 gift card | Main | Where to put Panthers in power rankings? »

May 06, 2010

Weighing in on Smith, Clausen

I'm trying to get some time off after a very fun, but intense stretch covering the NFL draft and the Panthers' minicamp. Managed to get the yard mowed today. However, when I took a few moments to browse the internet for NFL updates, I was surprised -- to say the least.

There was an item about Steve Smith considering Jimmy Clausen a "punk." Just a few days ago, I talked at length to Smith about Clausen and there was not even a hint of such a thing. As a matter of fact, Smith expressed the exact opposite. Smith wasn't faking either. In case you didn't know, he doesn't fake very well  He wears his feelings and emotions on his sleeve and usually can't cover up when he's upset about something.

Earlier today, Smith strongly denied having a problem with Clausen.

There was also a mention in the aforementiond item that Carolina tight ends were upset at Clausen for yelling at them. The most vivid memories I have of Clausen from minicamp were two passes he threw in red zone drills through traffic for touchdowns to tight ends Jeff King and Gary Barnidge. Both of those guys looked extremely happy. King even spiked the ball through his legs in a much more expressive gesture than he normally does.

As for Smith, he went on ESPN's "First Take" yesterday to talk about Clausen. It was clear by the wide smile on his face that he loved re-telling the story about how Clausen answered Smith's request for a 12-pack of Cactus Cooler sodas from California, where both of them are from.

For whatever it's worth, from this perspective, the minicamp seemed to go smoothly and without incident. From everything we could gather, it was an ideal start for Clausen with the Panthers. I neither sensed nor saw nor heard anything that would suggest Clausen did anything other than get off to a great start with his new teammates, coaches and the media.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on May 6, 2010 at 05:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

thanks for the update... i wasnt buying most of that crap anyways... seemed like the national media is just looking for a story

Posted by: matt s | May 6, 2010 5:46:28 PM

PFT is garbage, Bazooka Joe comics are more informative.

Posted by: Rick | May 6, 2010 5:47:54 PM

So ridiculous. I'd rather listen to what Procton has too say than listen to Florio.

Posted by: jboogy5000 | May 6, 2010 6:13:19 PM

There was probably a lot of throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks here. There probably was some truth in that someone within the organization did say something like this. Good luck in having them reveal who they are. More than likely it was some sort of under their breath talk going on here. It would be stupid for Smitty to public acknowledge that rumor. Especially when he does not know who Foxy is going to make as the QB.

Posted by: TruthBKnown | May 6, 2010 6:15:53 PM

PFT writers stand by their stories, but they are mostly rumors that ARE coming from SOME source. Florio has nailed a few stories by going out on a limb like this before, so he sticks to it. Beside ol' Florio is a former lawyer, so he knows that the throwing of that stuff against the wall gets results sometimes. People need to take PFT rumor section as exactly for what it is, and that is well, rumors.

Posted by: TruthBKnown | May 6, 2010 6:19:42 PM

Very nicely put truth.

Posted by: raisin kane | May 6, 2010 7:33:14 PM

Smith did not buy into any part of some people's idea that Clausen was there to take Matt Moore's job away.

So, Smith will be protective of the signal caller over the coming moths. He loved Matt's "game"

Smith gets along well with Moore and has not had time to even get on the same page as Clausen

Posted by: Lazercatfan | May 6, 2010 7:50:05 PM

Well at least Smith supports Matt M. I find it funny how the media is hyping up Clausen, when he hasn't taken an nfl snap.

After watching videos of Rod W talking out his a@@, Clausen should be the clear cut to start. Moore did an "okay" job over the last 5 games.

Only time will tell if Clausen can live up to the hype that his lovers Mei K and Pat Y is giving him.

Posted by: josh smith | May 6, 2010 7:56:33 PM

WHO GIVES A ???????

Posted by: BSMITH | May 6, 2010 8:46:49 PM

I am just thankful that Jake is gone.

Posted by: jay | May 6, 2010 9:12:40 PM

thankful that the guy that went 53-37 here is gone......that makes sense.

Posted by: charlottean | May 6, 2010 9:33:27 PM

Charles? You covered the draft and worked hard doing it? You really don't expect anyone to believe this do you? Haha, if what you did was draft coverage than you are pathetic. This news paper is the biggest joke!

Posted by: David | May 6, 2010 9:41:37 PM

By the way, cnnsi listed the Panthers as the sixth most likely team to experience hardship this year, citing the veteran purge. In the part for the Saints it also said that they will only have to compete with the Falcons this year since the Panthers don't appear being anywhere near competitive.

Posted by: Al | May 6, 2010 9:51:55 PM

Also, Matt Moore flourishes this year and puts the Panthers in a tight spot.

Posted by: Al | May 6, 2010 9:52:40 PM

David if you hate the paper so much you should read something else. I get tired listening to all the posts of the dumbasses who hate everything. Stop reading the paper bimbos.

Posted by: MajorLeague | May 6, 2010 10:09:06 PM

I gave Jake a nice rim job last week.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 6, 2010 10:19:03 PM

Al if you hate comments so much you should read something else. I get tired listening to all the posts of the dumbasses who hate everything. Stop reading the comments bimbo. Weird, you just proved how hating someone for doing the exact same thing makes you a retard.

Posted by: David | May 6, 2010 10:21:58 PM

Oops that was to "MajorLeague." Sorry, Al.

Posted by: David | May 6, 2010 10:23:21 PM

Anyway

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 6, 2010 10:47:22 PM

Re: SYRPIS post, "Anyway"
Given the previous posts, I agree enthusiastically, especially because I know that, by saying the secret keyword "anyway", you meant that Clausen, Moore, Smith, the others noted were actually involved with "funk, and its grand master McClinton from Kannapolis, NC. And they meet on some cloudy nights at Dale's statue just to jam together.
Wait did I say secret??? uh, I just meant that it was a rumor. My bad.

Posted by: David H | May 7, 2010 1:29:06 AM

David, interesting post. Sounds fun, but I am not sure what I followed.

But someone said something about someone calling someone a punk.... Speaking of what might be a slow preseason for reporters, I guess some of them now how to get a story going, eh Pat Yastankass?? Just do us fans a favor already and leave that punk alone. He's got a good couple of seasons left in him. It would be good to see him just produce and not be a distraction for once.

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 7, 2010 3:54:44 AM

And for all of the anal-rententives out there... *that, *know. And no, I don't get paid to post so I didn't proofread or use spellcheck, so get over it.

Posted by: SYRPIS | May 7, 2010 3:56:47 AM

"thankful that the guy that went 53-37 here is gone......that makes sense.

Posted by: charlottean | May 6, 2010 9:33:27 PM"

Youre acting like thats an impressive number of wins/losses. He never had any comp and still lead the NFL in turnovers despite not playing a full season last year. Yeah, I think it makes sense that Pick6 is gone especially when we saw he doesnt give this team the best chance of winning.

Posted by: D.W.G | May 7, 2010 6:51:19 AM

Jake was a good player for a number of years. But Charlottean, you got to be kidding yourself if you think he still plays at that level. I loved what he brought to the game, his gunslinger attitude both won games and lost games. He's done. He had a great line blocking for him last year, and still didn't get it done. Time to move on. Your hero's don't last forever.

Posted by: DaveT | May 7, 2010 7:18:49 AM

Jake is a great player, I love Jake delhomme for his attitude, his overall fire play, and ability to turn into a 99 when that 2 minute clock hits in the 4th quarter. I still have yet to see Moore give us a come from behind win, so I dunno about him. But Jake is a great person, in a world where for some reason dumb people think Sports Players should be role models, Jake is one I would love for my son or daughter to take after with no hesitation.

Posted by: Derek | May 7, 2010 7:34:25 AM