« Davis getting quick start on comeback | Main | Panthers sign first two picks (Updated) »

June 14, 2010

Monday OTA update: Stewart sighting

Strange sight at Panthers OTAs Monday.

RB Jonathan Stewart was running some conditioning sprints after practice.

Now, he's still not participating in individual drills, but he's at least doing something, and that's progress.

He hasn't missed a game as a pro, and was last year's leading rusher, but he's developed a history of not doing much this time of year.

We'll see what it means come training camp, but this was the closest Stewart's come to taking part in June since he's been here, so you take it for what it's worth.

They're hoping his offseason surgery to remove some bone spurs which contributed to last year's Achilles soreness has him able to do more in camp. But as long as he shows up on Sundays as he has for two years, no one's really quibbling about the running-around-in-shorts portion of the season.

-- Panthers coach John Fox has occasionally knocked some time off the end of OTAs, but don't expect that this year.

This team is too new, too young to get too many days off.

They'll work again Tuesday and Wednesday before dispersing for the summer, and reconvening in Spartanburg for training camp.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on June 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

Comments

This is really good news. I think our offense is gonna score a lot of points this season. If the defense can be decent it may be a really good year.

Posted by: pland67 | Jun 14, 2010 1:06:37 PM

In my unbiased opinion, I think the Panthers are greatly overlooked. All the "articles" on other websites have ranked the Panthers pretty low. NFL.com ranked them 30th, for reasons untrue if you actually pay attention to them, and cbssportsline.com ranked them 23 (I believe). These sites are the places that also think the Panthers drafted Clausen to be the QB from day one, which is incorrect. I'm fine with it, it's just disappointing journalists don't do their jobs well. I live outside of Indianapolis, and I understand the small market system, but it's disrespectful.

Posted by: Al | Jun 14, 2010 1:13:22 PM

until that sentence on the front page can read "recovered" instead of "recovering", he shouldn't be doing anything meaningless like this. When will Fox & Hurney ever learn? Was Thomas Davis seriously not a wake up call for them? Just because you two a** clowns are going down don't take us and the team with you.

Posted by: jeff | Jun 14, 2010 1:25:41 PM

John Fox is going to the Middle East. If you're waiting on the Observer to do a story on it, don't hold your breath. Scooped by PFT again!

Posted by: Dan | Jun 14, 2010 1:26:15 PM

Stewart reminds me of Steve McNair late in his career. I don't think McNair participated in a single practice his last 5 years in the league. But he always produced on Sundays.

Same with Stewart. If he doesn't participate in a single drill or game in August, it won't bother me. Now if the possibility surfaces that he might not play on Sept 12, then I'll get worried.

Posted by: J | Jun 14, 2010 1:44:18 PM

Will have to agree 200% with Jeff! If these guys aren't 110% healed up, why are they participating in OTA's? It's not like they need to, considering I think Stewart has only actually practiced like once his whole pro career and is still a beast on Sundays! TD was a HUGE setback and would hate to see another one!

Posted by: MJW | Jun 14, 2010 1:59:01 PM

The Panthers will get dusted off once again this year. 3rd in the division behind NO and ATL, 8-8 tops. Too much uncertainty other than Smitty and the run game. Box will be stacked to focus on this to make Moore/Clausen throw, therefore not as effective. Defense will blow, same old story.

Good part: cheap scalped tickets by mid-season once the Kitty Kat bandwagoners fall off. Same old story here.

GO BIRDS.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 2:13:34 PM

Haha! Could only come from an ignorant Philly fan. I can only hope everyone stacks the box this year. Since thats what everyone did last year and we still ended up 3rd in the league. The only difference is there is actually an arm under center this year.

Posted by: JMW | Jun 14, 2010 2:34:05 PM

JMW- You ended up 3rd in what league? Oh, I get it: 3rd in the "I Didn't Make the Playoffs" League. I'm sorry, how could I have overlooked that. I've got a trophy sitting here on my desk that looks just like the one the Panthers got for finishing "3rd" in that "league." Next, you'll want to show me the red ribbon John Fox got for finishing "3rd" in the balloon toss at his elementary school field day. Cut it out-

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 2:39:50 PM

Next to the New Yorkers, Philly has the dumbest sports fans out there.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 14, 2010 2:41:12 PM

Phillybirds, don't act like you have a clue because you read a couple of reports from some lazy journalists. Let me especially point out your blunder about the stacked box theory. This offense has thrived on defenses stacking the box since Fox came to town. They practically count on it for success, even with their rushing attack. That is what makes this team so special, they not only defeat teams when they when, they crush that organization's morale knowing they had difficulty stopping a team that is highly publicized as having a "run first offense," even when stacking the box.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 14, 2010 2:54:06 PM

Hush it up, Mike. After the Panthers lose 6 games straight, I'll be sitting in your seat. Matter of fact, it'll probably be at halftime during one of the games since that's how you "fans" do. We stick it out in even before we were consistently good like we are now. You, not so much.

Now, go look at Week 1 from last season and remember that 38-10 thumping we put on that head to start your season off on the right track.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 2:56:51 PM

PhillyBird: I guess I should have S-P-E-L-L-E-D it out for your small mind to understand. The conversation was about stacking the box. Stacking the box in football means putting 8/9 guys in the box, which is tackle to tackle, to defend against the running game. So therefor when I said 3rd in the league, I was obviously, or not so obvious to you, talking about being 3rd in the NFL in rushing last year. And congrats for beating the worst QB in the league last year, we all saw how that propelled you to the Super...oh wait, no it didn't.

Posted by: JMW | Jun 14, 2010 3:00:00 PM

SYRPIS - And again, what has that accomplished you in the grand scheme? Nothing. Other than racking up some points on a fantasy team somewhere, the Panthers have only been a product of their schedule. Go look at the history. Following a losing season, they look great because of an easy schedule. Get into the dance and get blown out like Arizona did to them a couple of years ago. Every other year is a good one for the Panthers. Products of their previous season's success.

2008- they went like 12-4 beating the likes of the Lions, Chiefs, Broncos, Raiders, etc. Get to the playoff and Arizona mopped the field with them. I don't read posts, I read the facts.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 3:00:50 PM

JMW- And finishing 3rd in the league got you what again? Ah yes, an early vacation for your fearless team to enjoy the playoffs in the luxury of their own homes. If being 3rd in rushing floats your boat, then you should be the happiest fan alive. But, it's about being in a position to get those championships. You can't do that being on the couch in January like the Panthers do every other year.

Go Matt Moore! He might have enough sense not to throw into Smitty triple teams. Maybe not. He performed when no pressure was on after the season was done. Let's see what he does out of the gate when all the pressure's on.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 3:05:31 PM

I never said being 3rd in rushing got you anywhere, just like being one of the top scoring/passing offenses got you booted last year from the playoffs.

Oh and speaking of that, congrats on giving the Cowgirls their first playoff victory in what, a decade? Keep dauncing!

Posted by: JMW | Jun 14, 2010 3:13:58 PM

I love how a FilthyBird fan is here crowing about his no-QB no-WR, no-RB team this year. You want to see a team that's not making the playoffs in 2010? Look at Philly.

Posted by: Authority | Jun 14, 2010 3:21:13 PM

Exactly. That's why I never argue those type of points with people. None of that means a thing without the hardware to go with it. We can score all day, everyday. But if we ain't playing on that big stage in February, it was all for naught. I don't count moral victories like alot of folks do. What I do count is that my team is always in a position for a shot to advance. The Kitty Kats, not so much. Only every other year after coming off of a bad season with an easy schedule the following year.

And yeah, we let Dallas get a taste of playoff victory. But how'd that work out for them? They got the same trophy that the Carolina Kitties have for that win.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 3:23:39 PM

Now, here's the "Authority" chirping in with a load of nonsense. "No QB" should never even come out of your mouth. You worshipped Shakey Jakey for years and now have Matt "After This Season They Won't Let Me Play Any" Moore, one silly RB and one with a bad wheel, one aging WR with absolutely no threat opposite him, and NO DEFENSE - having Kitty Kat team is chirping about a perennial 11-win team. Go somewhere and posted about the World Cup or something. You're wasting space up here talking your nonsense.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 3:29:02 PM

Wow, this is coming from Philly fan, whose team let go the best QB they have and whose fans booed him the get-go. The Eagles are left with Kolb and Vick, and they're awesome(insert sarcasim here) Also, if you hate the Panthers so much, why are you coming to the games to support them?

Posted by: sdg | Jun 14, 2010 3:29:07 PM

SDG- I come to support the game of football. I'm a Philly fan first, football fan 2nd. I come to the games just like 75% of the other people at Kitty Kat games: TO SEE THE OTHER TEAM PLAY!! You have to look around at times to make sure you're at a Panther's game.

In Andy Reid's postgame after we thumped your head, he said that he honestly thought they were at home by the amount of support from the fans. That's ridiculous.

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 3:32:06 PM

Posted by: PhillyBird | Jun 14, 2010 3:32:06 PM

My call: Carolina's rushing attack combined with Clausen's soon to be elite passing attack will get Carolina a first round playoff win this year and save Fox's job. The "guys in the know" will say its the media conjuring up the Clausen hype with Matt Moore clearly the starter next season. The "guys really in the know" understand that while Moore may help them not lose, Clausen will turn them into winners. This offense could become the Saints two years from now with the pieces that were put in place this year. It's going to be an exciting year...

Posted by: Bob | Jun 14, 2010 3:42:37 PM

"Support the game of football". What the F@$% does that even mean? Is the NFL running out of money, if so Goodell should set up a bake sale. Worked for my little league team. And you are probably one of the people that get upset at me when I stand up in front of you, and yell and scream. Then call security on me.

Posted by: sdg | Jun 14, 2010 3:47:41 PM

Dude, you need to quit reaching. There is no way u can talk about a RB with a bad wheel, how many games did Westbrook average a year? An aging WR that's better than any single player on your roster. A defense that finished in the top ten in the league, above your precious birds in fact. Keep dauncing!

Posted by: JMW | Jun 14, 2010 3:51:10 PM