« Monday OTA update: Stewart sighting | Main | Chandler: Time for me to move on »

June 15, 2010

Panthers sign first two picks (Updated)

The Panthers got their first two draft picks under contract Tuesday, signing sixth-round WR David Gettis and seventh-round CB R.J. Stanford.

Both Gettis and Stanford are going to have to work to make the 53-man roster, but both had moments in OTAs when they stood out.

(Update: 10:16 p.m.) The Panthers are expected to announce deals Wednesday with sixth-round DE Greg Hardy and seventh-round CB Robert McClain, per league sources. That would give them 40 percent of their 10-man draft class taken care of before the end of OTAs. That's well ahead of normal pace, as they tend to get them done closer to training camp.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on June 15, 2010 at 05:21 PM | Permalink

Comments

Where are all the Fox haters and their brilliant commentary?

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 15, 2010 8:06:51 PM

Don't look for them, SYPRIS. enjoy this moment without them.

Posted by: pland67 | Jun 15, 2010 8:15:22 PM

They only come out when it's dark,,,shhh..

Posted by: catsnmbr1fan | Jun 15, 2010 8:40:09 PM

No anti FOX from me either. I think we should resign him to the maximum term. I LOVED this draft and these pieces are perfect for this coach. I think as soon as the CBA is resolved, JJR will resign Foxy. Long live the Fox.

Posted by: threatt | Jun 15, 2010 10:09:25 PM

No question, Fox is a great recruiter. It's his conservative play and assistant coaches that have him in trouble.

Posted by: panthers1 | Jun 15, 2010 10:17:16 PM

It rather odd that in their report of McClain's signing, profootball.com listed his Pro Day numbers as 5-9, 190, 4.42-40, but at the time nfl.com listed his numbers as 5-9 3/4, 195, 4.52-40.

Posted by: FaithandTruth | Jun 15, 2010 10:27:21 PM

Keep the faith, and the truth will come out. Ugh.

Posted by: Ron | Jun 15, 2010 10:45:58 PM

Recruiting? You must mean free agents. Wait, that's impossible. . .

Posted by: dano | Jun 16, 2010 2:53:48 AM

I like Mclain. Hes a hustler.

Posted by: beastpanther | Jun 16, 2010 8:54:38 AM

This team is in a youth/rebuilding mode and my expectations are not that high. I'm looking forward to what I believe will be a very exciting 2010 season with all these "young guns". Go Panthers!

Posted by: SCken | Jun 16, 2010 9:11:00 AM

Sounds like a good nickname for the 2010 Panther: "The Young Guns"

Posted by: Minorj1 | Jun 16, 2010 9:23:46 AM

I believe the Furney team addressed all of our needs the best they could this draft .. I was really impressed w/ their draft picks in rounds 4-7 this year.. I particularly like the Norwood pick, I firmly believe he will be a special player and when all is said and done, he will look like just as big a steal as Jimmy Clausen appears now .. Thomas Davis doesn't talk alot about other players, but he had some nice comments about Norwood using terms like "explosive" and "relentless" and "I can just tell when I look at him on the field, I see a complete football player" .. I think if Norwood can pick up the playbook quickly we should place him right where Thomas Davis was @ WLB .. this would allow us to be more effective on the 3rd down rush and a penetrating force against the run in much the same way that TD was having success last year.. I'd like to see Beason stay in the middle where he belongs and can remain our leader on D .. I love Dan Connor, but why not start him @ SLB ? theoretically his intelligence should make up for any lack of speed or coverage ability much in the same respect as it does for Beason.. I suppose if we move Beason over to the WLB spot, we could still "Mike" him up as the play caller.. I just don't think Connor should start at MLB when we have a BEAST there who is already proven ..it's still early, but I think Norwood should earn a start somewhere, not sure where yet though.. WLB makes the most sense to me based on his ability to rush the passer like TD. remember, we don't have JP anymore, we need a relentless pass rusher on 3rd downs and all the help we can get w/ the pass rush w/ our young and inexperienced D-line. just my 2 cents ..

Posted by: Shaun NJ | Jun 16, 2010 10:57:05 AM

I think Gettis is pretty much mediocre and will be out of the league in 2-3 years. Personally.

But it'd be great if he took off, 6'3 with great speed... we've been waiting for a prospect like that.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jun 16, 2010 1:35:55 PM

I for one wish Foxy the best,lets see what the hamburgerler thinks.......

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Jun 16, 2010 4:34:16 PM

McLain was good...in Die Hard 1 & 2

Posted by: Whos Barry Badrinath? | Jun 17, 2010 7:59:26 AM

How can anyone hate Fox when clearly Hurney is the one that has destroyed this team? Fox is merely a scapegoat for Hurney's blunders.

But you'll never hear anything like that from a guy like Gantt. His man crush on Hurney is ridiculous!

Posted by: Steve | Jun 17, 2010 9:56:38 AM

are you kidding me steve? hurney has continued to remake and bring in great talent for fox to misuse.we had one of the most talented teams in football last year but fox squandered it by stubbornly sticking with jake.a few years ago this team was in meltdown mode and hurney cleaned house and got rid of a lot of dead weight like foster and morgan.our recent drafts have been superb.
if we had a great coach we would have 2 or 3 super bowls in the fox hurney era.

Posted by: raydaz | Jun 17, 2010 11:13:58 AM

Panther fans are jokes haha u guys are the only fans i see who argue with each other in EVERY post.

Posted by: Falcons Fan Baby | Jun 17, 2010 4:33:28 PM

Posted by: Falcons Fan Baby | Jun 17, 2010 4:33:29 PM

Article from

Panthers sign three draft picks; waive six players E-mail
Written by Steve Reed
Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:43 pm

CHARLOTTE --- The Carolina Panthers signed three more draft choices on Thursday and waived six others.

Defensive end Greg Hardy, a fifth round choice from Mississippi, defensive back Jordan Pugh, a sixth-round pick from Texas A&M, and seventh-round pick Robert McClain, a cornerback from Connecticut all signed contracts, the team announced. Combined with wide receiver David Gettis (6th round) and defensive back RJ Stanford (7th round), who signed on Tuesday, the Panthers have now signed half of their 10 draft selections.

Carolina also announced that six players have been waived.

Released were tight end Andrew George, kicker Blake Haudan, defensive back Matt O’Hanlon, tackle Mark Ortmann, kicker Aaron Pettrey, and running back Daniel Porter.

Posted by: C.C. | Jun 17, 2010 5:48:40 PM

^^^carolinagrowl.com^^^

Posted by: C.C. | Jun 17, 2010 5:49:50 PM

This is going to be a dead month interms of football news. Somebody rip into me (like you have in the past) so I can have something to write!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 18, 2010 9:17:04 AM

you gay SYRPIS

Posted by: beastpanther | Jun 18, 2010 4:18:25 PM

@C.C at 5:48 and 5:49 - Steve reed wrote about this on the 17th but Darin Gannt wrote this on the 15th. You got scooped!!!

Posted by: Greg | Jun 18, 2010 5:05:12 PM

This might not be a dead month after all in terms of football news. Albert Haynesworth is miserable in Washington, I say we give up another draft pick third or fourth rounder and bring his ass to Carolina.

Posted by: AMoore | Jun 18, 2010 11:28:02 PM