« Chandler: Time for me to move on | Main | Panthers sign USC's Norwood »

June 22, 2010

Panthers sign rookie QB Pike

-- The Panthers signed sixth-round draft pick quarterback Tony Pike on Tuesday. Pike was one of three sixth-rounders taken by Carolina in the draft. He's the sixth of the team's 10 draft picks to sign.

Pike is fourth on the team's depth chart -- behind Matt Moore, Hunter Cantwell and Jimmy Clausen. He signed a four-year deal with an $81,145 signing bonus, according to his agent Rick Smith.

-- Former Panthers running back Stephen Davis will be the team's minority assistant coaching intern this season, according to a Twitter by his agent David Cantwell. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on June 22, 2010 at 04:41 PM | Permalink

Comments

What is the story on the safety waived by the Panthers and picked up by Tampa Bay? Saw something on NFL Network last night, but nothing today in the CO.

Posted by: SCken | Jun 22, 2010 5:33:14 PM

Posted by: SCken | Jun 22, 2010 5:33:31 PM

There is no story about it. He was an undrafted rookie free agent that we waived so we could get our draftees signed. The Bucs just picked him up. No big deal.

Posted by: keepitreal | Jun 22, 2010 7:38:27 PM

Couldn't comment on the other blog, but wanted to say thanks and best of luck Charles.

Posted by: PTR | Jun 22, 2010 8:09:13 PM

Good luck CC. Don't know if you were a part of it, but this site has sucked for a long, long time.

Posted by: Mark Rognstad | Jun 22, 2010 10:35:59 PM

Wishing the best to you and your family Charles Chandler. Gonna miss your articles !!!

Posted by: Animal187 | Jun 22, 2010 10:52:47 PM

Darin, now that Charles is gone you have a lot to live up to. Is that why it looks like you're about to cry in your picture?

Posted by: PTR | Jun 22, 2010 11:58:33 PM

You will be missed here Charles Chandler. I wish you and your family all the best.

Posted by: Rodger | Jun 23, 2010 12:32:15 AM

The guy made his farewell article so you all couldnt post a goodbye or best wishes to him so what do you retards do? You use another article to do it . What a bunch of @zz sucking morons.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jun 23, 2010 9:50:11 AM

To MrBernz.....these people just can't take a hint. It just shows a inablility to shut their mouths.

Posted by: pland67 | Jun 23, 2010 11:29:05 AM

Panthers Blow!!! Although PIke is the best quarterback they have.

Posted by: JD | Jun 23, 2010 12:14:20 PM

It's a good thing to sign a dawn near BCS qb for depth in case of injury...Good reserve move...This Pike guy might be an ALL-PRO with add weight to his frame...in later years.

Posted by: jeromfitz | Jun 23, 2010 12:57:42 PM

Charles, good luck in all that you do! I always enjoyed your unbiased work.

Which you can't say about Darin Gantt...who we are stuck with now, and his Marty Hurney man crush love influenced opinions on the Panthers. Gantt worships all things Hurney, and now there's no one to balance that out. Great!

Posted by: Steve | Jun 23, 2010 2:06:36 PM

I figure John Fox will live up to his name "Foxy" after he has chosen the best 2 qb's to start for the Panthers. Don't forget Armanti Edwards was a qb also at Appalachian and he is good.
Once he has determined his starter and first backup, technically he could trade 2 of them or accumulate draft picks for 2011. He may get more picks than he gave up to get these guys as teams that sorely need a qb may give up even a #1 and a #2 or #3 for a good one.
Don't think all of these quality qb's will be here long term.

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 23, 2010 2:16:24 PM

I think youre right Wayne. I believe Fox will start Moore, Cantwell will be #2 & they will end up trading Clausen. They will probably keep Pike for a 3rd & let him develope like they did to Moore.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jun 23, 2010 4:29:47 PM

Good luck to Stephen Savis!

Posted by: MajorLeague | Jun 23, 2010 5:44:22 PM

oops...typo....I obviously meant Stephen Davis! GOOD LUCK TO YOU SIR!

Posted by: MajorLeague | Jun 23, 2010 5:46:27 PM

i wish they would trade clausen.....he's going to command wayy too much money to be joey harrington.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 24, 2010 11:25:22 AM

That's cool to hear that he's taking up coaching!

I know I've ripped into Chandler a few times when I disagreed with his opinions and approach to reporting on the Panthers, but I never really considered a day he would not be doing it any more. I will hate to see him leave and wish him all the best, and my sincerest of apologies.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jun 24, 2010 10:45:12 PM

I don't think Hunter's gonna make the "cut"this time around. Welcome back Stephen D., I Still wear your jersey dude !!

Posted by: Nasty704 | Jun 25, 2010 1:36:13 PM