« Panthers sign USC's Norwood | Main | Former Panther Thomas suspended »

June 24, 2010

Smith: 'It was a mistake'

Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who broke his arm playing flag football last weekend, was on the "Mac Attack" on WFNZ (AM-610) radio this morning. Smith said he was supposed to be at Wimbledon to watch his friend John Isner of Greensboro play, but missed the longest tennis match in history because of his injury.

A few highlights of Smith's interview:

--  "In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. I was having fun. I love football with a passion. Playing flag football at the Y was a way to take away all the other stuff -- the money, the contract. I was having a good time. But it was a mistake. I wish I could take it back."

-- "I'm a regular guy outside football. I mow my own grass. I could cut off my finger doing that. I could roll my ankle playing tag with my kids in the backyard."

-- "Some people are taking it like it will be a distraction. A lot of guys who play a lot of different sports do different things in their free time. Playing flag football at the time, it didn't seem like I would re-break my arm. But it happened so I've got to deal with it. For my teammates and the organization, it sucks, and I have to do rehab and all that stuff. I just put my team and myself in a bad situation by playing. That was not my intention or what I thought the outcome would be."

-- "At first I thought I'd sprained it. It's not on the actual break (of the previously broken bone). That's still in tact; this is a different spot."

-- "(Missing training camp) will only be a big deal if it presents itself. Anytime you're not able to work together in camp...it's not (necessarily) going to hurt. But it would help (being there). We'll figure it out. I don't think it will be a big factor. We had a lot of good work in OTAs (with younger receivers) that improved and helped. So i don't think it will be a big factor."

Posted by Observer Sports on June 24, 2010 at 01:35 PM | Permalink

Comments

You think? Always something.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 24, 2010 2:18:35 PM

Steve Smith should be allowed to play as much flag football as he wants, when he wants, with who he wants. I'd like to see him out there on the flag football circuit, cast and all, right now.

Posted by: SeenThisB4 | Jun 24, 2010 2:20:42 PM

How the hell is Jimmy Pickle going to establish himself now?

Posted by: RealManofGenius | Jun 24, 2010 2:33:26 PM

I applaud Steve for being out and about. For goodness sake, he wasn't fighting in a or getting into trouble in a bar like so many football and hoops guys. Maybee if more guys did what Steve did (have fun playing sports) there would actually be fewer injuries. Many of us say we would play sports for free - Steve does it and so many get on his case about it. Maybe that's one reason is is so good at what he does.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 24, 2010 3:01:23 PM

The only thing that we have to remember is that Steve Smith is EVIL! He has had 2 fights with teammates! Never forgive him! Never trust him! Forget about him being one of the 5 best receivers in the NFL! HE IS EVIL! WE SHOULD GET RID OF HIM!!!!!!!

Or at least that's what many CO commenters will tell you.

Nonsense, of course. He seems genuinely remorseful, and I think he will work 10 times as hard in camp to make up for any lost time. He'll probably end up having a better season with that extra effort.

Posted by: J | Jun 24, 2010 3:03:41 PM

A real stand up guy by not avoiding the issue and facing it head on. This would give the team time to evaluate the other WR's on the team and figure out who is going to step up and be the #2 WR for the team. I see no problems with Steve Smith sitting out Training camp because of an injury becuase he shows up at every game and plays.

Regardless of his previous issues, I would rather see someone suffer an injury like this then to be caught up in some other drama off the field that would urt the team in the long run.

Posted by: Animal187 | Jun 24, 2010 3:53:09 PM

Sure is getting tiring listening to Steve Smith apologize for all the dumb things he continues to do. His lack of maturity is astonishing.

Posted by: Rub | Jun 24, 2010 4:25:50 PM

This is just a cop out.....he is forever trying to get out of something. When will Charlotte get enough of a spoiled...immature brat????

Posted by: John Doe | Jun 24, 2010 4:33:38 PM

When will the mentally challenged in Charlotte keep their mouths shut? (See:John Doe & Rub)Can't wait to watch Smith score the first ever touchdown in the new Giants stadium! This just gives the young guys the much needed extra reps during training camp. Smith will come back ready to play for sure, especially if the know-it-alls @ ESPN talk about this affecting him in a negative way! (Which I'm kinda hoping they do!!)

Go Panthers!!

Posted by: jmw | Jun 24, 2010 4:41:00 PM

Go Panthers!!

Posted by: jmw | Jun 24, 2010 4:41:00 PM

I fail to understand the logic that says lying, violating your contract, and being out of training camp are good things. Are they good things because you are a homer and don't understand sports? How many more times do we have to suffer with this buffoon and his anti-team antics? If you chose to ignore his sideline hissy fits, this is at least the third time he has done something insanely stupid that will impact the team. Why can't someone on the Panthers stand up to this clown?

Posted by: Rub | Jun 24, 2010 4:47:53 PM

Hopefully Steve Smith will learn - PLAYING FLAG FOOTBALL WITH CHILDREN IS DANGEROUS!!!

Posted by: Lisa Cosacchi | Jun 24, 2010 5:09:49 PM

I think you folks are missing the point. Steve repeatedly puts himself and the team at risk with his antics. The injury was not sustained during OTA's. Maybe not a huge deal, but if you add up all the little things over the course of his career, it becomes a bit annoying. Yeah he is a top flight receiver, but compare his off the field track record to Dre Johnson. Dre has just managed to put up top receiver numbers without all the baggage that comes with being top flight. We are a small market, lets stay that way. We really don't have a choice.

Posted by: Ric | Jun 24, 2010 5:17:37 PM

I'm sure you "suffered" the many times he's made amazing play/catch after amazing play/catch!! It's not like he was doing some extreme activity like sky diving or bungy jumping where the safety factor is ridiculous! And yes, I do understand sports, very well thank you. Now if you want an "anti-team" type player, just look at all the greedy a** buffoons that are out there. Does Smith ever just pull himself out of practice because he's not happy with the millions he's making, no. Does Smith make $100 million and throw temper tantrums about having to actually show up to earn that money, no. Does Smith EVER take a play off, no. I'll keep "suffering" if that's what its actually called. Thanks! Keep dauncing yourself!

Posted by: jmw | Jun 24, 2010 5:17:37 PM

Posted by: Ric | Jun 24, 2010 5:17:37 PM

Posted by: jmw | Jun 24, 2010 5:17:38 PM

So, the best you can come up with is "at least he doesn't sky dive" and "he doesn't hold out?" That's the new benchmark for acceptable behavior. Thank goodness he doesn't have a record of, say, sucker punching teammates. He was doing something prohibited by his contract, which really isn't any different than holding out on a contract you've already signed. It's still a contractual obligation. I often wonder how much more people will put up from this guy but the well seems bottomless just because he's a good player.

Let's also not forget that missing camp due to injury often exposes a player to more injuries in the season, happens time and again in the NFL. What will be the excuse then?

Posted by: Rub | Jun 24, 2010 5:30:05 PM

Some people just like to hate. Give you something to complain about, and you do. He got hurt. He COULD have been in an accident and really gotten hurt. He COULD have been robbed and shot going out with his wife. He COULD have been running in his neighborhood and stepped off the curb and broke his ankle. It's a broken arm, it will heal. So he misses some training camp, big deal. He knows the system. At least he WASN'T holding out of camp wanting more money like some guys, which brings down the moral of the team. Is there a double standard? Yes. And you would get more if you could play football at a high level too. And you wouldn't complain at all either. If two guys stand out in camp and gives the Panther's a 3 WR rotation, it will all be forgotten about.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 24, 2010 5:38:40 PM

Steve,

Do not flatter yourself.....you are insignificant. Your best days are behind you.

Posted by: Maurice | Jun 24, 2010 5:46:17 PM

That's a lot of "coulda's" and "if's" that were completely unnecessary a week ago. This is the same arm he previously broke and now he has another plate in it. I'm still unclear as to why any of this is a good development. That's two years in a row where the allegedly "new and more mature" Steve Smith has stepped all over you believers which makes me wonder, what exactly are you believing in?

Posted by: Rub | Jun 24, 2010 5:56:20 PM

At least we don't have to worry about the annual hamstring injury.

Posted by: Hickory Fan | Jun 24, 2010 6:50:09 PM

i just watched the playoff game vs the rams when smith took it about 70 yards for a t.d in o.t.. arguably the single greatest sports thrill of my life.my family thought id gone wacko. i cant say a bad thing about a person that has given me so many sports thrills.

Posted by: raydaz | Jun 24, 2010 7:12:09 PM

Yes, because sports thrills certainly transcend all else these days.

Posted by: Rub | Jun 24, 2010 7:23:03 PM

Screw anyone talking smack. The guy loves the game and love ANY competition which is why he is so good. Instead of sitting on his duff he still loves it so much he plays it in his FREE TIME. We all should be so lucky to love our job so much we want to do it off the lock. Hope you heal up quick brother

Posted by: Big John | Jun 24, 2010 8:21:02 PM

Well, except, he is paid to do his job on the clock and specifically paid to not do it off the clock. What about that confuses you?

Posted by: Rub | Jun 24, 2010 8:43:26 PM