« Wednesday's Carolina Panthers links | Main | Panthers place Stewart, Otah on PUP »

July 28, 2010

Checking in from Spartanburg

For all the hand-wringing of the offseason, the first day of training camp has cruised along fairly smoothly.

QB Matt Moore walked in aware of his new status, but trying not to fret about it. WR Steve Smith was pleasant enough, but more interested in talking toothpaste than his broken left arm. Rookie QB Jimmy Clausen ducked in the side door of the players dorm, about to sign his new contract.

Welcome to Spartanburg, for a cool, gray start to camp.

As he's getting used to, Moore was the center of attention, but he stressed that he wants to stay normal. Moore was typically laid-back, emphasizing he's not trying to put any undue pressure on himself, now that he's the starter here with the presence of Clausen looming on the horizon.

"I think if i make it bigger than it is, that's when things start going wrong," Moore said. "I think if I take it one day at a time, and do my job, I think everything will be all right."

Smith didn't want to delve deeply into his medical condition, or when or whether he'd play in the preseason.

He even threw in an Allen Iverson "We're talking about practice?" when pressed for details.

Smith knows he made a mistake playing flag football, but tried to make light of all the attention he's received for his off-field mistake that led to the injury to the same arm he broke last December.

"Just with the significance of the injury, I'm just lucky to be able to scratch my side and brush my teeth and stuff," Smith said. "So I'm just fortunate to be able to be walking."

He kept turning the conversation to his lack of toothpaste, trying to figure out where he could find a tube most cheaply. So if he's able to laugh about it, he must be fine.

Clausen agreed to a four-year deal, worth a maximum of $6.3 million if he eventually becomes the starter and hits his incentives. He hasn't spoken to reporters, and may not today, but there was a general sense of relief at his presence.

We know Panthers coach John Fox will catch up with us later, and have more on Clausen and the rest of the day's transactions.

They will have to cut one player to get to the 80-man roster limit.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on July 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

Can I bring a vuvuzela to panthers games? I heard steve smith say he wanted them at home games this year.

Posted by: Thomas | Jul 28, 2010 12:28:03 PM

Please, please don't.

Posted by: swizzlesticks | Jul 28, 2010 1:08:40 PM

Heck NO, I do not want to hear a vuvuzela at the Panthers game or ever again for that matter.

I'm just hoping to get through this training camp and through pre season injury free.

Posted by: panthers24 | Jul 28, 2010 1:11:41 PM

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I think this year might be pretty fun to watch. Hopefully training camp will be a serious matter this year, with guys honestly trying to win jobs instead of it just being veterans trying to avoid injuries. We shall see.

Posted by: TP | Jul 28, 2010 1:14:23 PM

It is what it is.

Posted by: John Fox | Jul 28, 2010 1:16:16 PM

A dummy is what he is.....

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 28, 2010 1:23:40 PM

I think the Panthers will do really well this year as long as we can avoid the injury bug. I think we will surprise some people

Posted by: Michael 'Crusher' Williams | Jul 28, 2010 1:24:34 PM

ABSOLUTELY!

Posted by: Mark 'H' Hernadez | Jul 28, 2010 1:55:01 PM

I'll say this - it's gonna make the pre-season games a HECK of a lot more interesting.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 28, 2010 2:02:29 PM

The Panthers are about to go on the type of training camp that they received only a few a handful of times in their entire football careers...I love it!

This is what sets the tone for a team for years to come. I can hope that they become extremely "salty" and thoroughly hungry to go way beyond just being in football shape.

Posted by: Johnny Ray | Jul 28, 2010 2:04:16 PM

Finally a camp with significance. I hope the local reporting is up to it. We as fans want lots of updates with descriptive, granular observations. Not just end of day impressions.

Posted by: Authority | Jul 28, 2010 2:18:09 PM

Hay Thomas I get threatened by security if I don't sit down and cheer to loud so I'd imagine you'd be tased by police and dragged out by your ears if you brought one to BOA.

Posted by: PantherJohn | Jul 28, 2010 2:19:45 PM

A vuvuzela at a panthers games mmmm Maybe in the playoffs. Everytime the others team has the ball we use them. When we have the ball all is quite.

Posted by: Bruce Payne | Jul 28, 2010 2:25:21 PM

Fox is a defensive coach, well now is the time. Defense is inexperience, show us your coaching skill. Can we stop the run?

Posted by: ike | Jul 28, 2010 2:33:23 PM

The vuvuzela will be considered a weapon and prohibited from stadiums. That's after some fan sues about loosing their hearing. Authority - have you ever been in the upper deck? Security does NOTHING about fans that smoke, instigate fights and curse. Guess they dont want to hurt their feelings.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Jul 28, 2010 2:44:47 PM

Now because of you guys and Jake leaving, I had to move to Cleveland with my little boy. Although he got a big bad raise at BK, we're really going to miss you guys.

Posted by: Michael Procton's Mother | Jul 28, 2010 3:02:41 PM

Since Michael Procton hasn't posted yet I'll do it for him.
"This whole team sucks, Steve Smith is perhaps the worst receiver in the NFL, and you heard it hear first, the so called "two-headed monster" at RB will not have more than 500 yards of rushing this year.....combined! My prediction for this year......2-14."

Posted by: SouthPoint | Jul 28, 2010 4:02:02 PM

Posted by: Jeremy | Jul 28, 2010 4:40:10 PM

Anybody broke their ankle walkin up the dorm steps yet??

Beware the Black Cat Curse!

Posted by: Evan | Jul 28, 2010 4:41:45 PM

SouthPoint, you should like a fool.

Posted by: Panthers24 | Jul 28, 2010 4:45:53 PM

sound*

Posted by: Panthers24 | Jul 28, 2010 4:46:12 PM

Sry I just had to post this again! To South Pathtic! LOL!LOL!LOL! HAHA! Man I needed that laugh! Hey this is torward the guy posting for Michael Procton!I think you need a Cat Scan!!! Because you had to have riddin the short bus in school or wait you didnt go to school. You know I'm not even going insult you anymore because you done enough damage insulting your self!lol! Wait 1 more..Wait what is 1+1?

Posted by: Jeremy | Jul 28, 2010 4:48:18 PM

Procton????? Hmmm now that Jake is gone he really can't hate that bad can he?

Posted by: Proctonblows | Jul 28, 2010 4:48:18 PM

By the way, when it comes to Michael Procton my post is completely TIC, just couldn't resist. Procton is the main reason I could no longer come on this board the last couple of years. He became unbearable.

Personally, I have no idea what our record will be this year, if I had to guess I'd say 10-6, but I won't be shocked if we're considerably better or worse.
If our D-Line is up to the task though.....watch out, we'll be very good!

Posted by: SouthPoint | Jul 28, 2010 5:39:24 PM

If our D-Line is up to the task though.....watch out, we'll be very good!

Posted by: SouthPoint | Jul 28, 2010 5:39:31 PM