« Smith: 'It was a mistake' | Main | Panthers deal with Edwards close »

July 01, 2010

Former Panther Thomas suspended

Free agent Hollis Thomas was suspended eight games by the NFL for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances.

The Panthers weren't planning on bringing the 36-year-old defensive tackle back anyway, but the fact he'll miss half the season for sure all but makes him retired.

The Panthers got good work out of Thomas during his short stay here, as he came in after being released by St. Louis, and started 13 games. He helped shore up a defensive line that was wracked by injuries early, finishing with 39 tackles and three QB pressures.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on July 1, 2010 at 06:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

Well that explains why he played so well now! lol

Posted by: JayJ6 | Jul 1, 2010 7:16:43 PM

WTF what does this say for this franchise? Blow the team and front office up and start new...

Posted by: NOMAN | Jul 1, 2010 9:28:41 PM

NOMAN how can you blame the franchise, team or front office for what one player chooses to do? It's not like the players run around publicizing that they use performance enhancers, that's why they test. That has to be one of the most boneheaded comments anyone has ever posted.

Posted by: jody | Jul 1, 2010 9:38:16 PM

Jody, as dumb as that comment was, it probably doesn't even make the top 25.If there's one thing we have, it's our share of goofball fans like Norman.

Posted by: ronwon | Jul 1, 2010 10:09:29 PM

Noman has the right name.....he's obviously a little punk who knows nothing......in other words a li'l cowpile biyatch.

Posted by: MajorLeague | Jul 1, 2010 10:40:57 PM

This just in--- If your name is anything but Williams, NFL rules actually apply to you.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 1, 2010 11:10:30 PM

Hollis is a cool name.

Posted by: djfoams | Jul 2, 2010 7:53:34 AM

WTF does that mean SYRPIS???

Posted by: PantherJohn | Jul 2, 2010 9:33:14 AM

referencing the Vikings d-linemen, genius. Not DeAngelo.

Posted by: Moonshine | Jul 2, 2010 9:50:24 AM

Who cares panthers sucks

Posted by: falconsfan1 | Jul 2, 2010 12:51:25 PM

It Makes me mad the Williams in minnesota aren't suspended.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jul 2, 2010 4:18:07 PM

A last in the division, not much chance of improving Falcons fan in here saying the Panthers suck?

Posted by: sykobyron | Jul 2, 2010 5:21:55 PM

You guys lost Peppers,Delhomme,Muhammad and other than Clausen they did absolutly nothing in the draft, next to the bucs the canthers will be an easy two wins for us this year

Posted by: falconsfan1 | Jul 2, 2010 6:26:52 PM

It's indeed a shame that those Williams boys never got suspended for the Vikes! The thing that infuriates me the most is how Yahoo Sports said that we'll have the 32 ranked defensive line this year! Talk about no respect!!

Posted by: jah p | Jul 2, 2010 6:29:43 PM

Funny it is that from a society that personally and professionally and corporately does the equivalent of steroids-taking and performance-enhancing in every modality possible on a daily basis weighs in on all this with such pomposity and righteous indignation.

Some 6' 335 lb. man that society has no use for and otherwise would only laugh at outside of this very particular situation engages in some effort to keep up with those he well knows are doing likewise in an effort for society to appreciate him for this brief period in his life, so as to do what everyone else in this world does, that is to situate himself best for what is to follow, in this case being after nut-case fans and sports writers have blown him off.

Posted by: FulsomePrison | Jul 2, 2010 8:44:29 PM

I know players get paid to come to camp in shape; but as a coach who knows the importance of putting the best players on the field during game ONE of the season; don't have them running Full wind sprints on the first day of camp! This is why we struggled last year when Kemo blew his heel on the first play in Training Camp. I'm not blaming the coach entirely but, shouldn't we have just a little forsight for the Big Men of the team? A big man myself.....TheCatman!

Posted by: TheCatman | Jul 2, 2010 9:43:23 PM

FulsomePrison was also heard saying: "We must internalize the flatulation of the matter by transmitting the effervescence of the Indianisian proximity in order to further segregate the crux of my venereal infection. Now, if I may retain my liquids here for one moment. I'd like to continue the redundance of my quote, unquote intestinal tract, you see because to preclude on the issue of world domination would only circumvent - excuse me, circumcise the revelation that reflects the Afro-disiatic symptoms which now perpetrates the jheri curis activation."

Posted by: TheWarden | Jul 3, 2010 8:36:46 AM

I still wonder whats happening with the Saints stealing drugs, no word from the nfl about that .....

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 3, 2010 9:15:52 AM

Warden - Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Posted by: coach40 | Jul 3, 2010 10:21:06 AM

I can assure all here that the wart'en's cranial flatulence is all of his own making.
Be proud of it, son! and do not attribute to others what is due to your own credit alone.

PS

what presidents do actually matters, don't it, boy?

Posted by: FulsomePrison | Jul 3, 2010 12:36:06 PM

Fulsome Prison, I'm pretty sure Thomas was more than 335. Also, your argument sounds something like what a crac-slinger would throw out ---Others are doing it to survive, so I shouldn't be reprimanded or looked down on when I do it--- Really??

Anyway, I'm sure if the Eagles do cut Vick, he will have a job waiting for him in either Dallas or Oakland. Old joke, I know, but some things never change.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 3, 2010 1:14:48 PM

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 3, 2010 1:14:48 PM

@ The Catman - I respect you dude, but players in the NFL now practice all year, so by the time training camp comes around they should be in terrific shape. Not like the old NFL, when they had summer jobs, and needed to get back into football shape..

@ TheCatman - By the way, are you going to the HOF this year.? We talked for several hours, a few years ago, at the HOF, and you mentioned the mascot tailgate you guys do there. I wanted to know, if you were doing it again this year?

Posted by: catsnmbr1fan | Jul 3, 2010 5:30:11 PM

To SYRPIS,

Of course, half what I said earlier was "making excuses," but what I was trying to point out was, how is any of that different than or any worse than the "excuse making" from congress and the financial industry for the mess we find ourselves in today?

Let's keep things in perspective here. Some athlete taking performance enhancement pills has not cost society nearly as much as the CDO's that Wall St. came up with.

Posted by: FulsomePrison | Jul 3, 2010 7:39:37 PM