« Live updates from Panthers camp | Main | Carolina Panthers links for Saturday »

July 30, 2010

Friday afternoon observations

Notes after a long, hot one in full pads:

—- If you're down here and think practices are going a little longer, you're right.

In addition to teaching a bunch of kids, coach John Fox has also built in an extra 10 minutes of cooling-down time into each session.

Smart, since it's been steamy these first two days.

-- Not much new on the injury front.

WR Charly Martin left with a left finger injury, and RB Tyrell Sutton was out with a left calf stain.

DE Charles Johnson and LB Jamar Williams (both with hamstrings) continued to sit out.

-- Of the six players on the PUP list, Fox said he expects most to be back before camp ends.

With G Duke Robinson, the issue is weight, as Fox said he needs to drop a few more before he's cleared to take the field.

-- Mentioned this in the running blog earlier, but the gap between QB Matt Moore and the rest of the passers here is considerable.

If you took the names and numbers off the jerseys and watched the four of them, you'd pick Moore 10 out of 10 times.

-- WR Brandon LaFell continues to impress. He's smoother than a lot of rookies, and has shown the ability to catch balls across the middle. It's easy to imagine him pushing Dwayne Jarrett for a starting job sooner rather than later.

-- RB Mike Goodson usually looks good in shorts, but had a strong afternoon in the absence of Sutton and Jonathan Stewart. He's beginning to look like a capable player, instead of just a tool-sy flag football star.

-- The Panthers really better hope DT Ed Johnson's serious about football. If he is, they may have pulled another scrap-heap find. He gets a good push inside, and should help the run defense. Curious to see how he holds up over time.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on July 30, 2010 at 05:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

The moment-by-moment observations by Darin are nice new twist. I trust we'll get in-depth analysis later.

Mike Persinger: thanks for the perspective. I do think that sometimes you are are too quick to defend rather than explore ways of improving. I could be wrong; I am judging from your current and past comments.

Keep trying.

Posted by: PurrDurham | Jul 30, 2010 5:58:18 PM

Someone mentioned that Clausen took all the reps with the second team today. Is that true? If it is, why did you not mention something that seems quite significant and instead gloat about how great Matt Moore looks?

Posted by: Joey | Jul 30, 2010 6:37:51 PM

You guys whine and moan about everything. If he doesn't mention every. single. thing. you guys throw a huge fit. Who cares?

Its just a football team, and this is just freaking training camp. Really, who cares that much?

I think he's doing a pretty good job and he's made some significant observations. Especially talking about Moore.

Based on Gantt's statements, I'm really happy about Brandon LaFell. Remember he could have potentially been a first round receiver a year ago. I can see him coming in and being pretty decent.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jul 30, 2010 6:45:13 PM

Also, if Greg Hardy plays to his potential (some thought he would have been a top FIVE pick last year) like he appears to be, than I think we are in really good shape.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jul 30, 2010 6:46:13 PM

I enjoyed the posts as they were happening, I would like to see names with the posts though when you say balls are being tipped. Overall it was a great idea & kept me entertained. Good job.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 30, 2010 6:51:59 PM

Nowhere else will you ever get what you just got here. Be thankful, I know I am. Nobody else gives you these gems:

"In full pads, doing individual drill, DE Greg Hardy looks like an absolute beast. Now can he play?"

and... "Norwood-Ivy-Senn your second group of LBs, hope for health. Active, but you don't want to go there."

and.... " If you took the names off the QB jerseys and watched these four, you'd pick Matt Moore, 10 out of 10 times."

So don't even complain, you immature nobodies trying to align your own pretentious no-nothing knowledge of the NFL to the people who know what they are doing - it makes all fans look bad.

Posted by: charlesbright | Jul 30, 2010 6:52:29 PM

I remember reading that Everette Brown got past Wharton & to Williams, I have been saying i think he is ready to step his game up a bit. I wonder how he did the rest of the day.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 30, 2010 7:25:37 PM

Charlesbright is your real name Mike Persinger? Lol i am just kidding.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 30, 2010 7:31:00 PM

?

Posted by: ? | Jul 31, 2010 1:00:28 AM

Those "left calf stain(s)" must be driving the ER doctors nuts!

And don't minimize the danger involved in flag football Darin. Look at what happened to Smith.

@Joey: I think Moore solidifying a starting position is significant considering how so many have already written him off.

BTW, I agree about the positive feedback in this type of reporting. Much appreciated (even if I fececiously disagree with some of your comments at times).

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 31, 2010 1:21:51 AM

Darin, I like the positive news. Looking like an 11-5 team moore and moore. Get it.

Posted by: Steven | Jul 31, 2010 8:07:12 AM