« Carolina Panthers links for Friday | Main | Live updates from Panthers camp »

July 30, 2010

Friday morning update: Stewart closer

The Panthers won't hit the practice field until 3 p.m., and it's going to be a hot one. They're going full pads, so it should be interesting to see how they plow through the effects of yesterday's double.

Here's a few highlights of the interview period, from which we'll have more in tomorrow's paper.

-- RB Jonathan Stewart said he hopes to start practicing soon, and hopes to during camp. That's been an issue as long as he's been here, as he said he hasn't felt 100 percent since the end of his final season at Oregon.

"There's a lot of jokes being made here or there about that whole situation," Stewart said. "But me being an athlete and me being a competitor, practice is something that's very important to excel. You've got guys that are practicing around you and getting better and you're not being able to get the opportunity.

"Once I get healthy, it's going to be one of the best days of my life, to be able to get back to normal."

-- RB DeAngelo Williams was singing the praises of QB Matt Moore, laughing as he lauded Moore's ability to hand off.

He denied that he feels pressure to carry the load this year, saying that Matt's perfectly capable of leading this team through the air.

He also laughed when asked about Jimmy Clausen, saying he's amazed at the attention the rookie QB has received, beyond anything about the team as a whole, the rebuilt defense, etc.

-- C Ryan Kalil said that whoever's going to end up at RG will be different than 2009 starter Keydrick Vincent, but he's confident if Mackenzy Bernadeau ends up with that job.

Bernadeau is a quicker player, and will change some of Kalil's techniques, but could be an overall upgrade over Vincent, who struggled in pass protection last year.

We'll have more this afternoon, during practice and a wrap-up following the work.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on July 30, 2010 at 01:13 PM | Permalink

Comments

Thanks DeAngelo, at least someone said it.

Thanks Darin for reporting it, it looks like you are trying to be a reporter.

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 30, 2010 2:07:45 PM

Is it lingering foot problems that Stewarts been dealing with since his rookie year or something newer?

Posted by: HeyNow | Jul 30, 2010 2:31:04 PM

Don, you've always been good at those backhanded compliments. You get my vote for best gimmick poster of the day so far.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 30, 2010 2:32:06 PM

Keep up the good work Darin and give me something on Armanti and Lafell in receiver drills

Posted by: Appstate#1 | Jul 30, 2010 2:34:07 PM

Hey Mike can you tell me when/if the Observer is going to have that football pool link they had last season? i dont want to miss the preseason games this year like i did last year. Thanks.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 30, 2010 2:34:28 PM

I try Mike, really I do. :) Still don't have it perfected yet.

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 30, 2010 2:37:14 PM

Thanks Mike Persinger... at least someone said it! :)

Keep up the good work Darin. I've enjoyed your articles and training camp updates.

Posted by: Rodger | Jul 30, 2010 2:38:30 PM

Gantt - Detail, analysis, even nuance. Almost like those SI guys. Better be glad he's a homer, else he might be in NYC writing drivel on the Giants or Jets for the Sporting News.

What continues to surprise is the national media seems to write that since Jake's departure, there is no quarterback and Moore's 4-1 record was just a product of no opponent game-planning, and Clausen is Joe Montana with zero NFL snaps to his credit.

At least Darin watches training camp and actually reports OBSERVATIONS, not beer-soaked opinion.

Posted by: Ben | Jul 30, 2010 2:50:07 PM

Geeez Can we get back to football or are we going to roast Smoores by the campfire now and sing Perfect Harmony?

Posted by: HeyNow | Jul 30, 2010 2:52:17 PM

Sporting News is based in Charlotte, not NYC

Posted by: A Note for Ben | Jul 30, 2010 2:59:46 PM

Dont make me call that phone # you give out to ask you, just post it here so every reader can see it.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 30, 2010 3:04:21 PM

wow the comments section are just as exciting as football camp ..u guys make me laugh ..
go panthers!!

Posted by: LETSGOCATS | Jul 30, 2010 3:20:36 PM

Any word on how the receivers are looking so far? I assume Jarrett still looks clueless, but how about Moore, LaFell, Martin and Edwards?

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Jul 30, 2010 3:23:16 PM

We'll have the U Pick 'em contest again this year. When it launches, I'll post the link on the blog.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 30, 2010 3:24:26 PM

Hmm Anyone else notice Persi's post carries a familiar tenor? Where else you postin boy?

Posted by: HeyNow | Jul 30, 2010 3:29:39 PM

No no, Mikey does not enforce I mean endorse those sort of things :)

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 30, 2010 3:43:21 PM

I don't care if Stewart EVER practices...as long as I see him dragging people 10 yards and delivering that bullyish stiff arm like he did to Ronde' Barber I will be content

Posted by: Hambino | Jul 30, 2010 5:37:23 PM

to hambino, amen to u panther comrade, as long as stewart can drag men when it counts he's ok with me, we have the best duo rb's in the leage, we will be ok and we have number 89.

Posted by: pantherfanfor life | Jul 30, 2010 7:39:53 PM

when smith broke his leg in the first game of the season vs. green bay, I felt guilty, like it was my fault. without 89...no one even goes there.

Posted by: jb | Jul 31, 2010 4:00:01 AM