« Thursday's Carolina Panthers links | Main | Thursday morning observations »

July 29, 2010

Live Observations from Thursday

Darin Gantt's Observations from the morning practice, the first of two today:

-- As expected, the first practice is in full pads. Players who were expected to be here are here.

-- The four quarterbacks were the first ones on the field. Let's see who can play football.

-- Veteran TE Jeff King out early with the QBs. Nobody ever mentions him with the leaders, but they should. Smart, smart player.

--For what it's worth, the QBs are lined up as they were all spring: Moore, Cantwell, Clausen, Pike.

-- As expected with the PUPs, it's now Bernadeau at RG and Schwartz at RT.

--They either need to get guys ready or get some help, because with 12 healthy OLs, the second line is also the third. Will get old quickly.

9:55 a.m.: LB Jon Beason getting used to playing in space, batting down a Moore pass. Probably should have caught it, but hey.

10 a.m.: First one in the trainer's tent: LB Jamar Williams. Hamstring maybe, too soon to tell.

10:11 a.m.: WRs and DBs are doing their thing elsewhere, but the action is in 7-on-7 run drills. RB Sutton looks good.

10:13 a.m.: WR Dwayne Jarrett runs wrong route, looks confused as ball flies away. Not a good first-day impression.

10:15 a.m.: Kenny Moore, on the other hand, appears serious about the chance he's getting. Was singled out for praise earlier during a blocking drill.

10:16 a.m.: Now Dwayne Jarrett is limping around like he's got a hammy. Great first day Jarrett, really nice.

10:18 a.m.: Tent's staring to fill up. DE Johnson now over with trainers. Not sure what's wrong.

10:19 a.m.: Now they're looking at rookie LB Norwood under the tent.

10:32 a.m.: If Beason could catch, he'd have 2-3 picks already today.

10:41 a.m.: You know who flies around all over the place? LB Jordan Senn. Great ST player, but shows some life at WLB too. Call him the Senn Master.

-------The morning practice has ended. -------

11:48 a.m. Oddball injury: Rookie LB Sean Ware had to leave practice after being stung by a bee. Hope not as bad as Kindal Moorehead's spider bite.

12:20 p.m.: Read Tom Sorensen's blog on the first practice here.

12:29 p.m.: You know, I've been railing on him for years, but SLB James Anderson had a really good morning. Active. Maybe he's finally found a home. Always thought James played stiff, wasn't very instinctive, but maybe this is the role for him. We'll see. They need him to be competent.

1:12 p.m.: Clausen called today "dream come true," despite some early bobbles, errant passes. Said he's not thinking about working with third team, since he walked into Notre Dame fourth on the depth chart.

Posted by Observer Sports on July 29, 2010 at 09:58 AM | Permalink

Comments

Keep it coming Darin, or at this rate don't. We may not have any players left by the end of the day. I say wrap up camp and see you Sept. 12th?

Posted by: Steven | Jul 29, 2010 10:28:46 AM

I liked it better back in the early years when I didn't keep up with training camp. It makes me worry even though I know thats stupid. Need to ignore all news and just walk in the first game with no idea of anything.

Posted by: pland67 | Jul 29, 2010 10:31:31 AM

Defense is always ahead of Offense at first in training camp. Remember this Darin. I can see your goal.

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 29, 2010 10:41:48 AM

keep it coming darin.this is the kind of stuff that keeps me going.
im seriously telling you all that jarret had better get his act together fast.if he doesnt have an outstanding camp they should cut him.hes been here for years in this offense and hes still running the wrong way? i hope jamars injury isnt serious or nagging.i really want to see what he can do.

Posted by: raydaz | Jul 29, 2010 10:43:09 AM

Okay, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so someone explain it to me. Why is Jarrett guaranteed a spot on this team??? I don't care when he was drafted or how much we'd lose cutting him lose, we only have 53 roster spots and all of them should be given to guys who can potentially benefit the team.

Posted by: Jason Alston | Jul 29, 2010 10:47:32 AM

good stuff darin!

Posted by: Scott H. | Jul 29, 2010 10:52:51 AM

i never saw myself as the dork who would care to read these type of updates, but man am I getting pumped up for the season to start. I can't wait to see them on the espn August 12th!

Posted by: Hey hey hey | Jul 29, 2010 11:08:27 AM

Do not get excited for a preseason game. Don't do it. I say this not because the game doesn't matter (and it doesn't) but because whenever someone gets too excited for one they always end up disappointed. So trust me when I say try not to get excited.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jul 29, 2010 11:29:14 AM

Thanks DG, this is great.

Question: how is the D-Line looking?

Thanks again.

Posted by: TP | Jul 29, 2010 11:47:37 AM

How about a Lafell and Edwards update???

Posted by: Appstate#1 | Jul 29, 2010 11:56:34 AM

Paying too much attention to who's at the trainer's table. How are the ones on the field doing? Armanti Edwards and Brandon LaFell?

Posted by: Authority | Jul 29, 2010 11:57:11 AM

Agree, keep up the posts.

Also, Gamble20, sometimes there are reasons to get excited. The preseason W-L record is of no consequence. But how the starters and key reserves play is important. For instance, I'll be watching the starters in the 2nd game against the Jets. That should be a good test for our trench guys against theirs. If the Cats can get some push offensively or show some contain defensively, I'll be excited. Similarly, if someone (a rookie or unheralded vet) does better than expected a la Fred Lane, I'll also be excited. We kinda expect that guy to be Edwards, but we need to see. And even though no team is showing all their cards and there is little or no game planning, it's still football. Crank it up.

Posted by: bosotomos | Jul 29, 2010 12:04:27 PM

Maybe its just me, but there is still not enough information here. Who lined up with the first team on the 7 on 7 drills offense & Defense? Which 3 LB's lined up. Who was throwing the passes that Jarret counldn't catch, do you have something against Jarret. What about the rookies... you tell me sooo much about Clausen gettting signed on time but nothing about the way he looked on the feild. How did the Defensive line look, Hardy?, Brown?, Tyler?. Did the offense move the pile... I WANT IT ALL... AND I'LL GIVE IT TO EVERYONE WHO VISITS THIS SITE IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES. What's this 4 quarter backs take the feild... now one's in the tent crap. Names, positions, LT Gross plows over DE Johnson to free sutton for a 14 yard gain, johnson is now injured. Thats what I need!!! hollar if you here me.

Posted by: Caro2daHeart | Jul 29, 2010 12:21:19 PM

Has steve smiff sucker-punched anyone yet?

Posted by: nomostimulus | Jul 29, 2010 12:46:56 PM

Hay Caro2daHear - Go to camp. I have been to 9 years worth of training camps, and it is practice, not a game. Guys are spread out over 3 fields, all doing something different. If you go near the mosquito infest swamp near the train tracks, you will see the offense, if you stay on the hill side, you can watch the defense and the kickers. The hill side allows a better view of everything, but we have 80 guys in camp, with 74 on the field.

Try going to camp, sitting in 90 degree weather, keeping up with a field full of guys, most of us do not know anyway, and then you report back to us.

Posted by: Panix | Jul 29, 2010 12:54:35 PM

The fact that Beason should have had 2-3 INTs tells me more than just that he can't catch: it tells me Jake Delhomme must have taught the QBs everything he knew before he left turn - how to throw a pick...

but maybe the QBs are just picking a bad day to have a bad day...

Posted by: John Fox | Jul 29, 2010 1:02:19 PM

Want real reporting?

Read Steve Reed's F the Gnatt

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 29, 2010 1:08:19 PM

great updates! Keep it coming darin, theres plenty of PAnthers fans out there like myself who have been begging the Observer for this kind of reading. Panthers fans live for stuff like this!!

Posted by: jgentry1988 | Jul 29, 2010 1:10:25 PM

EDWARDS!! ENOUGH SAID!

Posted by: jjreddie | Jul 29, 2010 1:25:35 PM

responding to Gamble20- point well made. but to clarify, i am not expecting a 30-0 shutout. i am excited to see them play. i want to see the starters look sharp, the new guys do something good to talk about and most importantly, everyone stay healthy.

Posted by: Hey hey hey | Jul 29, 2010 1:26:34 PM

Any update on Sean Ware and the bee sting? Will he be practicing tonight?

Posted by: Panthers24 | Jul 29, 2010 1:57:19 PM

2 different blogs and 0 posts regarding LaFell or Edwards?

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Jul 29, 2010 1:59:17 PM

To Panix....my thoughts exactly. Until they have been they have no idea how hard it is to see it all. The hillside was usually my favorite place to sit.

Posted by: pland67 | Jul 29, 2010 2:00:10 PM

How about making no predictions about this training camp and how great the Panthers will be come regular season? That way, nobody has to make any excuses about why they did not live up to expectations. Just stop jawing and actually get READY to tee it up ...

Posted by: Rich | Jul 29, 2010 2:35:38 PM

I am surprised you didn't mention Edwards since you LOVE him so much and think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Thank you for NOT talking about him.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 29, 2010 4:12:36 PM