« Checking in from Spartanburg | Main | Thursday's Carolina Panthers links »

July 28, 2010

Panthers place Stewart, Otah on PUP

The Panthers just announced that six players were placed on the active-physically unable to perform list, and won't practice with the team tomorrow when camp opens.

The list is headlined by RB Jonathan Stewart (ankle) and RT Jeff Otah (knee), both of whom were expected to participate in some form early in camp. Also on the list was G Duke Robinson, who failed the conditioning test, along with DT Louis Leonard (knee), WR Steve Smith ( arm) and LB Thomas Davis (knee).

Players can come off the PUP list at any time, but not having Stewart and Otah complicates the preparation of an offense that was expected to be the strength of this team. Now, RB Tyrell Sutton will get more reps with the regular offense, and Geoff Schwartz will likely work in Otah's place.

The move could also kill any chance Robinson had of challenging for the starting RG job, which will likely fall to Mackenzy Bernadeau by default, since Schwartz was the other option.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on July 28, 2010 at 08:11 PM | Permalink

Comments

I dont get it, if Robinson can come off the PUP list why cant he compete for the starter job? And how and when did he fail that conditioning test? Also, when is Stewart going to be ready? This is the kind of stuff that should have been reported on all these weeks there were no news articles about the Panthers. Would it have hurt a reporter to go out & see how these guys are doing?

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 28, 2010 8:38:49 PM

I knew it Stewart only the will not practice list. I have a funny suspicion that it is in his contract.

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 28, 2010 8:45:34 PM

I'll be there tomorrow

Posted by: Panthers Super Fan | Jul 28, 2010 8:51:29 PM

Is there a Saturday practice, and what time ?

Posted by: Nasty704 | Jul 28, 2010 9:01:41 PM

Big 6:30 FanFest type thing down there Saturday in Gibbs Stadium.

Posted by: Phil | Jul 28, 2010 9:26:48 PM

If anyone and I do mean anyone who goes to training camp and can get any real information concerning players i.e. how well they practice, rookie information, or any "real" information. Please post it here for the men and women who are currently out here serving your country and can't make it there. The small blurbs of information by the editor is not enough. So please... do it for your country... no pun intended. Thanks.

Posted by: Caro2daHeart | Jul 28, 2010 9:45:22 PM

Stewart never practices!

Yet he is still so good.

Imagine if he actually did practice!

Posted by: Gamble20 | Jul 28, 2010 10:02:33 PM

I believe this list was made so they could have more time to evaluate some of the younger players before they make cuts. As long as a player is on the pup list they can keep an extra body at camp to take that players spot. So if you know a player wont be ready till game 3 of the preseason this is the best thing to do.

Posted by: cboss | Jul 28, 2010 10:02:45 PM

All these players miss the first six weeks of the regular season???

Posted by: wcpf78 | Jul 28, 2010 10:04:56 PM

Come on, we talking bout practice. Not a game. Not a game.

Posted by: AI | Jul 28, 2010 10:06:02 PM

Stewart = Missing in practice.

Stewart = great in games.

I can't get worried by this news.

Posted by: D Reed | Jul 28, 2010 10:48:48 PM

I still dont see why they dont place Davis on IR he isnt going to be able to play this season.

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 28, 2010 11:01:54 PM

Not a good sign. All those four year contracts by the rookes was definitely a bad "omen." It indicated that the team chemistry is off to a bad start and that there is a looming sense that some want to abandon ship. Having a few players fail the fitness test (especially by those who had a chance to start---Leanord and Robinson) is not very encouraging either.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Jul 29, 2010 1:23:36 AM

I'm thinking that Duke Robinson has been spending too much time partying at uncle Smokey's house...
And I believe that it'll be good for #22 to get time with the 1st team while J Stew rides the stationary bike, or play dominos with Steve, or whatever...

Posted by: KeyNoteButYouAint | Jul 29, 2010 6:16:53 AM

now we have a better idea of why bernadeau is ahead of robinson.bernadeau played well last year.the line should be better without vincent.

Posted by: raydaz | Jul 29, 2010 8:49:58 AM

Why was Vincent bad?

Posted by: Steven | Jul 29, 2010 9:14:06 AM

No, they have until the first week of the season to take them off the PUP list before they won't be eligible to play in the first six weeks. If by week one they are placed on the roster they can play right away. If not they can't play for the 6 weeks. After that, they have 6 more weeks to either get them on the roster, place them on I.R. or waive/cut them.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 29, 2010 10:18:31 AM

It is a mistake to bring Davis back this year. He already reinjured himself this year rehabing why risk it again? Shelve him, sign him and play him next year.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 29, 2010 10:20:43 AM

@ Caro2daHeart - Thank you for what you do. I try to get to as many of the practices as I can. I am disabled and it gives me something to do and take pictures of. If you'd like a link to my pictures just give me an email (you can find that if you click my username) - they are usually pretty good because you can get so close.

As far as a little extra info. Matt Moore looked confident and accurate today as did veteran Hunter Cantwell. Clausen and Tony Pike, the rookies threw the ball well at times, but looked like rookies to us. Clausen was mostly accurate but threw one pass right to Jon Beason and another almost to me... and neither me or Beason are Panther receivers haha...

Steve Smith, Jeff Otah and Jonathan Stewart looked pretty healthy as they did actually work today. They did strength and footwork drills with a 50lb weight. I got several pictures of Stewart leaping several feet off the ground in the drills so his (as listed) injured ankle shouldn't worry fans too much. Steve Smith clowned around for some of us waiting for autographs and showed us his bum arm.

A sleeper to watch out for is receiver Armanti Edwards - the former qb of the giant killing Appalachain State team that knocked of Michigan a couple years ago. John Fox has plans to use Edwards where ever they can fit him in - at wr, kr and hopefully wildcat qb. He looked super fast today making some wicked cuts. He seems to be a nice guy too as he mingled with the fans longer than any other player signing autographs... that's a big deal after a 3 hour practice in triple digit heat.

Posted by: Man in Black | Jul 29, 2010 3:38:56 PM

As much as I hate to put my email out here in the open it doesn't seem to be linked to my username so here it is Caro2daHeart if you want a link to the pictures when I get them uploaded. Anyone else is welcome to check them out too if you are not spamming me lol...

Posted by: Man in Black | Jul 29, 2010 3:41:52 PM

uncivilization42@hotmail.com - Man in Black email... helps if I actually post the address... I think my brain got too hot out there today.

Posted by: Man in Black | Jul 29, 2010 3:43:28 PM