« Live Observations from Thursday | Main | Thursday night quick-hitters »

July 29, 2010

Thursday morning observations

The Panthers jsut wrapped up their first practice of camp, a session conducted in full pads but without full execution.

There were ragged moments, typical of what you might expect from the first day back to school.

Among the highlights from the first workout:

-- New QB Jimmy Clausen continued to work with the third team. For all his promise, it's going to take him a moment to catch up. He's a different passer than the other three, shorter and more prone to check-downs at the moment.

Twice, he got backs hit by hanging dump-off passes too high.

But he is very accurate on the intermediate stuff.

-- Without Steve Smith, they used Kenny Moore and Dwayne Jarrett as the starting receivers.

Moore had a much better morning, singled out for praise in individual drills.

Jarrett went the other way, running a bad route and watching the ball sail behind him by 10 yards, then coming with a limp as if he was hurt.

Jarrett needs to pick it up if he wants to shake the three-year bust label.

-- There were a few minor dings, as DE Charles Johnson and LB Jamar Williams had to leave practice to see the trainers. Coach John Fox hadn't gotten an update on what they tweaked, but he knew they tweaked something.

Also, rookie LB Sean Ware had to leave practice after being stung by a bee and having an allergic reaction.

-- WR Armanti Edwards is going to have to work on his punt returns. He bobbled one near the end of practice, and on his next attempt, let it sail cleanly between his hands to hit him on the knee.

Safe to say Captain Munnerlyn's ahead of him at this point, but Edwards is very new to the job and needs time to catch up.

-- The linebackers are an active bunch, even without Thomas Davis.

Jon Beason, shifting to the weakside to replace the injured Davis, got his hands on a number of passes. If he had better hands, several would have been interceptions, but there's generally a reason young players get shuffled to defense early in their careers.

Special teamer Jordan Senn was also all over the place, a little quick guy who covers a lot of ground. Most of his work will come in the kicking game, but he's got some spark, and will make plays when he's out there.

-- With Jeff Otah still recovering from knee surgery and Duke Robinson yet to pass the conditioning test, the offensive line competition fizzled out quietly on day one.

RG Mackenzy Bernadeau and RT Geoff Schwartz worked with the ones early, and will until the other two come back.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on July 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM | Permalink

Comments

Gannt I always pictured you a fat ogre like most of the other people on 610. Gotta say I am surprised to see your photo

Posted by: Thomas | Jul 29, 2010 12:09:41 PM

I am already worried about the injury bug. Its going to be a long preseason if this keeps happening. Day one and its already begun. Not worried about AE as a KR yet. Lets get him the ball on offense Percy Harvin style. As far as Jarrett someone needs to get that bum in shape mentally or give him the boot.

Posted by: John | Jul 29, 2010 12:24:07 PM

Thanks for that Thomas, I appreciate your amazing insight and pertinent commentary...

Posted by: swizzlesticks | Jul 29, 2010 12:24:28 PM

How did the D-line look?

How did Connor look at MLB?

How about the rookie receivers?

How about those rookie DBs?

Sherrod Martin and GOdfrey, how did they look in 7v7s?

Charly Martin, is he still the sleeper?

Who played SLB after Williams went down?

How did Gamble and Marshall look?>

Brayton, does he look old?

Goodson, is it too early to lable him as a bust? Will he even make the team?

Fiametta, how was his blocking?

Were there any incredible offensive sequences?

Were there any incredible defensive sequences?

How about the quarterbacks?

Any horrble throws you remember off the top of your head?

Any amazing throws come to mind?

Any news on the backup offensive linemen?

James Anderson, how did he look?

Everette Brown, How was his footwork? Does he appear bigger than he did last year?

Corvey Irvin, Can we call him a bust now?
__________________________________

*sigh*

Im no C.O. hater, but living in Oregon makes getting Panther training camp news a little difficult, outside of the Observer.

Posted by: turtleman_jr | Jul 29, 2010 12:32:18 PM

Better information on this post... I'll give you credit, but you're writing it like we were there also. Not all of us made it to Spartanburg so fill in the blanks... please.

Posted by: Caro2daHeart | Jul 29, 2010 12:46:34 PM

Clausen is too short!!!! I saw him next to the other guys and he is definitely shorter than 6'2'' His height is either over stated or the others are understated.

Posted by: Don Rickles | Jul 29, 2010 1:13:37 PM

Folks, keep in mind that Darin is doing this largely in addition to what he does for the newspaper. Before five years or so ago, none of this kind of reporting existed, so you had to wait for the paper to come out the next day to get any information at all. This is a big step up from that, but there is still only so much one man can do at camp. Darin is providing as much as he can between observing those he'll write about for the paper, doing interviews, etc. Camp lasts four weeks, and we'll get to most of the topics mentioned before it's over. Not reasonable to expect all that from the first two-hour workout.

Mike Persinger
Exectutive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 29, 2010 1:14:07 PM

Mike P, thanks you for calming down the dogs. I think it's a generation thing. They want it all and they want it now.

Posted by: pland67 | Jul 29, 2010 1:21:40 PM

Completely understand what people want. Heck, I want it, too. But reality, as Fox would say, "is what it is."

Mike Persinger
Exectutive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 29, 2010 1:24:10 PM

Damn, who is this guy? Left his number and everything. Okay dude, we'll give you some time, but step it up! or hire some new people. Maybe get yasinkas back from espn. Of course he sucks to but get some more eyse out there!

Posted by: Chuck | Jul 29, 2010 1:26:21 PM

Good questions Turtleman_jr, i also live in another state & never get Panthers info other than from here & nfl.com

Posted by: MrBernz | Jul 29, 2010 1:29:51 PM

Chuck, been here 22 years with the same phone number. I'm not going anywhere. Call if you like.

Mike Persinger
Exectutive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 29, 2010 1:30:59 PM

TRENT GUY!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | Jul 29, 2010 1:42:51 PM

I for one appreciate your hands on approach with us fans of the Panthers Mike Persinger.

Keep up the good work sir.

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Jul 29, 2010 1:47:15 PM

for those that like to get more info there is a site that I like to use -- www.catscratchreader.com . A lot of blogs and "think about" articles to read from day-to-day. I'm with everybody on wanting to know more.

Posted by: Hambino | Jul 29, 2010 1:57:54 PM

What's an "Exectutive"?

Posted by: Pman | Jul 29, 2010 2:11:11 PM

I generally like your posts, but I wonder if you really were at the practice.
Yes, Clausen worked with the 3rd string some, but he also worked plenty with the 2nd team, and the longer the practice went, the more 2nd team work he got. Seems pretty obvious, he's on his way to #2 on the depth chart. How did you miss that?

Posted by: Bruce | Jul 29, 2010 2:11:56 PM

Bruce, don't ruin my gig here. The boss thinks I was actually working.

Seriously, Jimmy's going to have to work his way up. I think eventually, he ends up the two. But for now, he's still behind Cantwell. The assertion he took more work with twos just isn't right.

As for the laundry list of questions, we'll get to it all, or as much of it as we can as camp goes on. Follow on twitter for immediate (@daringantt) posts and we'll try to wrap up the highlights after each practice.

Posted by: Darin Gantt | Jul 29, 2010 2:32:03 PM

football-Way to be a good sport -football- Darin and thanks for -football- the coverage -football. The natives -football- are restless as -football- its been a looong time -football- since we've had FOOTBALL!!!

Posted by: gradyhog | Jul 29, 2010 2:46:35 PM

Thanks for the news, Darin!
I've lived in Charlotte for 17 years, so I have a close connection with the Panthers. I feel like they are mine by fate. So I truly appreciate any news that I can get about "my boys". I hope that the dicktards that slam your articles don't discourage you. It seems like only the fellas with no sense what so ever are the guys making the posts.

Posted by: WyltonZee | Jul 29, 2010 2:55:58 PM

Pman, "Exectutive" is a French word meaning "not anonymous, and thus unable to be snarky."

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Jul 29, 2010 3:02:20 PM

Word, Wylton. Bunch of snotty nosed idiots in Carolina. I'm a Falcon Fan, but I live in Huntersville. You snotty bankers or whatever makes you so spoiled and mean? What is up with that? I love my Atlanta "dirty birds" and we don't spend our time callin out the writers. What thee freeek, boyyyeeez? Man, guys, get a grip.

Posted by: BlakCatBFeever | Jul 29, 2010 3:07:13 PM

Mike P,

Love your comment to Pman, fantastic, keep it up!

Posted by: Rick Boggs | Jul 29, 2010 3:18:51 PM

I love how demanding people are inclined to be over free content. If you want them to hire more writers to go out there and observe camp, pay to access this information. Personally, I'm on a budget and very appeciative that they let me read anything without paying for it. For a few minutes each day I can enjoy reading up on my team.

Posted by: Jason Alston | Jul 29, 2010 3:42:53 PM

An editor who doesn't use spell check. Assuming this guy is for real that is ridiculous.

Posted by: Darrin Gant | Jul 29, 2010 5:07:07 PM