« Monday morning: Getting guys back | Main | Carolina Panthers links for Tuesday »

August 09, 2010

Monday Night Live: The Daily Dwayne

The Panthers were running in shorts and shells Monday night, so this will be the shorts and shells version of the blog.

Two main things stood out during the light night practice.

1) The notion that WR Dwayne Jarrett can't play is misguided. That's not to say he always does play, but the question isn't whether he can or not.

Jarrett had at least three highlight-reel catches, one on a Matt Moore deep ball, that had the whole crowd ooh-ing and ahh-ing. The sprawled-out one-hander on the sideline was nice too.

I understand the frustration, because he's so rarely done it in games. But when you see practices like tonight, you understand why they give him so many chances.

2) Starting to get healthy again.

They got LB Jordan Senn (The Senn Master) and T Garry Williams back on the field.

Even with DT Louis Leonard taking the night off on his one-a-day plan, it left the Panthers with 70 players. They haven't had that many up since the first weekend of camp, when the litany of minor injuries began.

We'll see how it holds up, but they'll need the bodies once the games begin.

That's it for tonight, we'll be back tomorrow.

— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on August 9, 2010 at 09:05 PM | Permalink

Comments

Obviously, there wasn't anything going on at Camp Wofford this evening.

Posted by: Moonshine | Aug 9, 2010 9:46:40 PM

PANTHERS SUCK!

Posted by: falconsfan1 | Aug 9, 2010 10:33:51 PM

So does your Mom falcon fan...

Posted by: falcons_suck | Aug 9, 2010 10:36:11 PM

I bet Michael Vick is 1 of the many people Falconsfan1's mother had on Maury trying to find Falconfan1's daddy. Thats why he is a falcons fan for now.

Posted by: MrBernz | Aug 10, 2010 1:02:25 AM

Talk as much as you want, i would be shock if guys even win 6 games this season with no quarterback, no defense, bottom line PANTHERS SUCK!

Posted by: falconsfan1 | Aug 10, 2010 1:18:45 AM

FALCONS fan why dont you go talk to your other falcons fans how you wont be in the playoffs this year. before you run your mouth about another team sucking make sure your team doesnt suck too.
Sincerely, Panthers Fan

Posted by: reggie | Aug 10, 2010 4:04:05 AM

That's saying a lot falconsfan1.I think your team last year had 1 more win that the Panthers! In a city of 6 million, all you could muster is 12,000 people for your srimmage? We’ve got that at the airport when our team gets back from an away game.LOL! ATLANTA-the city that fans forgot!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Aug 10, 2010 6:08:07 AM

senn was out 5 min into practice with ice on right shoulder.

Posted by: sth dude | Aug 10, 2010 8:31:47 AM

I attended the evening practice on Monday night and saw the following:
1.) The Panthers were blessed to get Jimmy Clausen and I'm a Matt Moore fan. Clausen had three TD's against full 11 on 11 drills. All three were in the 30 yard range. One he scrambled to his left and threw a bullet across his body 35 yards to TE in the left front corner of the end zone. I saw a coach talking to Dan Connors I think about staying with the TE even that deep.
2.) Clausen again scrambled out of the pocket and ran around the left side about 30 yards for a TD.
3.) He completed a pass on a straight back drop into the endzone.
Finally, I was very impressed with Clausen's zip on the sideline and deep out passes. I didn't realize how good his arm really is.

More in the next post.

Posted by: 4Gross | Aug 10, 2010 9:48:55 AM

As I said earlier, I'm a firm believer in Matt Moore; but last night he was having, IMHO, a bad night. During live scrimmages, he had at least four passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. He could not find anyone open and threw the ball away three or four times. I'm sure he completed a pass or two but nothing I remember. I must of missed the Matt Moore pass to Dwayne Jarrett that Darin Gantt talks about in the article above.

Help me out, wasn't the story last year that Matt Moore wasn't given the starting job sooner because he didn't look as good in practice as he did in real games?

Concerning Hunter Cantwell, he looked good and completed some impressive passes. The one I liked most was the one to Dwayne Jarrett when they caught the defense in a zone and Jarrett ran a 15 to 20 yard deep square out to the sideline behind the CB and in front of the Safety. Hunter Cantwell fired that baby in there so fast the defense had no chance at all to prevent the completion. Strong arm.

Finally, the Panthers have at least three really good QB's and maybe Pike is good but there is not enough repetitions to tell. My guess is the Panthers try to make a trade for Pike or stash him on the practice squad.

Posted by: 4Gross | Aug 10, 2010 10:16:01 AM

A player has to get through waivers to get to the practice squad. I can't see Tony Pike not getting claimed by some other team if the Panthers cut him hoping he will clear waivers and make it onto their practice squad.

Posted by: TribeHeel | Aug 10, 2010 10:37:05 AM

4G, Moore didn't just look bad in practices. The organization thought he was going to "turn out being a nobody." (That was Gantt AND Reed's statement.)

TH, somebody'll have to burn a 53-man roster spot on Pike, and it'll be interesting to see if they'll want to do that with as few reps as I think he'll get in the preseason. I think what's more likely is we stash him on IR with a papercut or something similar (think Eric Shelton), then he's the #3 next year after Moore flops and is let go.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 10, 2010 11:56:16 AM