« Carolina Panthers links for Friday | Main | Gameday: Carolina Panthers links for Saturday »

August 27, 2010

Talk to us about stadium smoking ban?

The Observer is looking for Panthers fans who will share their experiences with the Bank of America Stadium smoking ban, which follows state law banning smoking in public places. If you would be willing to talk to a reporter about your experiences or opinions, please e-mail Franco Ordonez at [email protected], or call him at 704-358-6180. Please call or e-mail only if you are willing to put your name to your comments.

Mike Persinger

Executive Sports Editor

The Charlotte Observer

(704) 358-5132

Posted by Observer Sports on August 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

Comments

I am for the smoking ban...should have been years ago. According to recent polls nearly 80% of Americans DON'T smoke so why should you cater to the few who do...plus i'm sure the maintanence crew save alot of time/money NOT having to sweep up cig butts and repair burn holes in seats and the cup holders used as ash trays...next up the dippers!

Posted by: hellfish | Aug 27, 2010 12:33:45 PM

it's not banned... on the 2nd level there are a couple places, marked with lines on the ground, where it's a "smoking section"

Posted by: Joe | Aug 27, 2010 12:33:47 PM

Awww, isn't that just tooo bad. I don't have to be around people who are slowing committing suicide, one puff at a time, and trying to take me down with them. Isn't the 21st century awesome!

Posted by: Dug E Fresh | Aug 27, 2010 12:37:12 PM

Wrong Joe. There are ZERO smoking areas now. If oyu are caught, they warn you once, then you are escorted out the door. I sat at the south exit last week, and watched about 20 people being led outside over a 10 minute span. It is GREAT for the rest of us!

Posted by: SMOKERS_SUCK | Aug 27, 2010 12:39:57 PM

ahhh okay, didn't know they changed that. thanks for the info... uh... "SMOKERS_SUCK"

Posted by: Joe | Aug 27, 2010 12:42:19 PM

Dear Smokers Suck: Would you be willing to chat with me about what you saw? Please give me a ring at 704-358-6180 or send me an email at [email protected]

I'd love to note that people were being led out of the the stadium..

Thanks

Franco

Posted by: Franco Ordonez | Aug 27, 2010 12:55:16 PM

I have watched people smoke in the 500 level in their seats for years. The ushers seem more concerned about people standing up and cheering and upsetting the blue hairs behind them. Can we please ban the VIC contests and all of the commercials we must hear the entire game. Some of the commercials even bleed over into the next play.

Posted by: JAY | Aug 27, 2010 12:57:35 PM

Posted by: john | Aug 27, 2010 1:09:57 PM

I wish all smokers would die!!!!

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 27, 2010 1:12:15 PM

I went to the game Saturday and every smoking section was being used for smoking. i didnt even realize there was a ban. Nice work stadium staff...

Posted by: Eric | Aug 27, 2010 1:13:50 PM

Posted by: Eric | Aug 27, 2010 1:13:50 PM

Posted by: Eric | Aug 27, 2010 1:13:50 PM

i wont go to any more games. AND I AM A DIEHARD PANTHERS FAN

Posted by: RAY | Aug 27, 2010 1:14:55 PM

I am for a smoking ban, but to not have any designated areas seems silly to me. Smokers buy tickets too, they buy the vastly overpriced concessions and beer, and should be able to have a smoke somewhere in an open, outdoor arena. I don't smoke, and prefer to keep my distance from lit cigarettes, but to treat smokers as they are somehow beneath the rest of us is unfair, in my humble opinion. Someone else pointed out that 80% of people don't smoke - we have to ask if that means we get to treat the other 20% like they are somehow less important as citizens, or in this case, fans supporting a team with their hard-earned dollars? I would say no, and I would think that a few isolated smoking areas would keep lit cigarettes away from non-smokers, but still allow smokers to enjoy the game. Basically, I don't see why there cannot be any comprimise about smoking.

Posted by: Nathan | Aug 27, 2010 1:16:33 PM

Yeah Dug, good thing we don't have to watch people destroy their bodies with cigarettes anymore. Hey, the beer guy still comes around though right?

Posted by: JoshuaMac | Aug 27, 2010 1:16:34 PM

Not true Eric...I saw a "troop" of staff at the South Gate Ramp on the 500 level that were standing guard over the former smoking area. However, this ban has now led the smokers to the ramp areas where it is more of a nuisance for the non-smokers because now the ramp areas are full of cig smoke. It was pretty bad last Saturday walking up and down the ramp. I also saw one guy at the South Gate that had a pack of Camels that were found in the "search" to enter and he was told that he could not enter the stadium with the pack of cigs.

Posted by: Chet | Aug 27, 2010 1:20:57 PM

One more reason to watch the games at home...

Posted by: JoshuaMac | Aug 27, 2010 1:27:04 PM

Any reason why the title of this post has a "?" in it? The Observer....journalism at its finest.

Posted by: Observer_ROCKS | Aug 27, 2010 1:31:45 PM

Whoa . . . It's not that serious people ! It's a cigarette , there should be smoking sections @ the stadium like there is anywhere else . Saying " smokers die " and all that stuff is childish nonsense ! P.S I'm a non smoker

Posted by: Casey Combs | Aug 27, 2010 1:33:36 PM

I was making love to my wife, in her seat, two rows behind some filthy scum smoking a cigarette. Disgusting.

Posted by: DooWayne | Aug 27, 2010 1:44:00 PM

I think all the hunters should protest since they aren't allowed to bring their guns into the stadium.

Posted by: Claire Voyance | Aug 27, 2010 1:45:22 PM

Well joshua mac on the lower level 200 sections. they were smoking in all the old designated spots. they were not removed and people did as they always did. smoke there.i stood and watched a group of over 50 packed in the lil spot at halftime as always w a monitor watching. i watched this as i stood in line for snacks. maybe lower level ticket holders are treated different...

Posted by: Eric | Aug 27, 2010 1:46:51 PM

I am a smoker and I have respect for those that don't. I actually like the ban on restaurants and bars. But to treat smokers like they are beneath you is childish. It is a mutual respect thing. Smokers need to respect non-smokers and non-smokers need to respect smokers. Its that simple. Put in a smoking area and if the non smokers don't like it STAY AWAY!!! No one asked you to join in the crowd. That is why it is called a SMOKING SECTION!! Anyways, without smoking areas at the stadium will mean a lot less people at the games eventually. Why go somewhere when you can't enjoy yourself. FYI Most of us smokers know that it is very harmful, we dont need to be reminded. Its a choice that me have, we choose to smoke. You don't have to like it, just respect our choices.

Posted by: Smitty | Aug 27, 2010 1:57:02 PM

JAY gets it:
"its a slow, slow, slow creep. before long they're telling you what to eat and wear."

Most of the rest of you don't get it! Smoking in the open air forbidden, does no one have common sense anymore??? It's all about control and the more you let them do it the more they will do it!!! And soon you will have no rights to do anything, that's a prediction. But few are smart enough to see it coming thanks to public education which discourages actual thinking.

Posted by: Fuzzy | Aug 27, 2010 2:12:55 PM

I heard smokers have black lungs. I saw photos once and it was really gross.

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 27, 2010 2:25:01 PM