« Carolina Panthers links for Thursday | Main | Otah suffered a "mini-setback" »

September 09, 2010

Kiddy Cats ready to kick off

DeAngelo Williams hardly looked surprised Wednesday when informed the Panthers are the youngest team in the NFL. At 27, Williams qualifies as one of the veterans on a 53-man roster that includes 48 twenty-somethings.

Considering that two members of the Panthers’ over-30 crowd are kicker John Kasay (40) and punter Jason Baker (32), that leaves just three position players who are in their 30s – defensive end Tyler Brayton, receiver Steve Smith and left tackle Jordan Gross, all of whom have been named captains (as has Kasay).

With all that youthfulness and inexperience, Williams expects the Panthers to be a fast team who, at times, might be its own worst enemy.

"I think that’s good and bad," Williams said of the youth movement. "We’ve got the youthful legs. They don’t have as many miles as a lot of the other teams have. But with that comes maybe mental mistakes, and that’s what we’re trying to change. That’s what we’re trying to limit is the mental mistakes, and I think that’s what the preseason is for."

Williams believes the offense’s preseason woes can be attributed to the inexperience. The former Memphis star called it "a mesh thing," and is hopeful the Panthers worked out a lot of those kinks while going four preseason games without an offensive touchdown.

Meanwhile, linebacker Jon Beason, the Panthers’ other captain, sent a message that the Panthers would not use the team’s youth as an excuse or a crutch.

At the conclusion of a 10-minute interview this week, Beason was asked whether he had anything else he wanted to add.

He did.

"The one thing I do want to say is I think if you go back to February or March and we were making all these roster moves and cuts and stuff, a lot of people had a lot of stuff to say about what was going on in terms of ‘Are the Panthers tanking?’ or ‘How are they going to be able to survive without nine starters?’

"I really want to say that I’m happy with the coaching staff – coach (John) Fox and everybody. I think they did a great job of bringing in some free-agent guys. Did a great job in the draft. Here we are – we’re a young team and I think we’re a team that people should look out for. I think we have the ability to go all the way, depending on how fast we can mature."

Vegas put the over-under for Panthers’ wins this season at seven.

If the Panthers grow up quickly, Beason believes this predominantly under-30 team could go over. Way over.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on September 9, 2010 at 09:53 AM | Permalink

Comments

I agree with Beason and Williams. It all depends on how fast they mesh. Because they definately are 1 of the most talented teams in the NFL.

Posted by: cboss | Sep 9, 2010 10:29:03 AM

You should be fired for this title.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 9, 2010 10:37:55 AM

You should be fired for this title.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 9, 2010 10:37:55 AM

The panthers should feel very fortunate if they win 7 games this year. I wonder why Vegas is being so nice.

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 9, 2010 10:46:17 AM

Youre right Vegas is generous with its over under predictions. I looked up the over under on your iq & they have it listed at 45.

Posted by: MrBernz | Sep 9, 2010 11:59:25 AM

Now if someone could explain to you what an iq test is about & get you to take 1 i could win a fortune.

Posted by: MrBernz | Sep 9, 2010 12:00:28 PM

Isn't Steve Smith 31 ?

Posted by: D.W.G. | Sep 9, 2010 1:27:02 PM

Mr. Bernz

You might want to arm yourself first if you plan to get into a battle of wits

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 9, 2010 1:36:32 PM

I like the talent, youth and salary cap situcation going forward but they are a 5-11 team this year.

Posted by: mikey | Sep 9, 2010 2:28:00 PM

Win or lose, they'll be much more fun to watch. I know it was only preseason, but watching these young fast guys D was awesome with players flying all over the place with big hits and lots of speed getting into the backfield. I think 10 wins is a reasonable expectation.

Posted by: djfoams | Sep 9, 2010 2:48:58 PM

Do any of you guys pay attention? The only time we win less than 7 is when we are considered a superbowl contender before the year starts. This is EXACTLY the kind of team that Fox overachieves with. We will be 8-8 if we start 2-4 or worse. 10-6 if we start 3-3, 12-4 if we start 4-2 or better.

The vegas line is set by how people bet. If they get 50% taking the over, and 50% taking the under, then they get the juice. It has nothing to do with what they think the team will actually do.

Posted by: supermanwears89 | Sep 9, 2010 3:13:55 PM

I am with you Mr. Bernz! Vegas has massive, beautiful buildings for a reason. They do not hand out money because they want to be nice. They know what they are doing. The way I see this season is in 6 games, because I think you chalk Saints(2), Ravens, ATL(1) as 4 L's. Then Tampa(2), Rams, Cleveland, Seattle, Arizona as W's. Leaving 6 swing games:
ATL @ Home, NYG, Cincy, Chicago, SF, Pitt as toss up games. I think you can make a case for each of those. IF they go 3-3 in those, that is 9-7. I think 2-4/3-3 is most likely and if you catch a break 4-2 and end up 10-6.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 10, 2010 7:58:14 AM