« Panthers announce roster moves | Main | Panthers sign practice squad »

September 05, 2010

Morning-after roster thoughts

With a moment to reflect on what they've done, here are a few thoughts on the Panthers (for-the-moment) 53-man roster:

-- Give them this, you can't dispute the existence of a plan.

Not much use counting other rosters to see how it compares until they stabilize in a few days, but at the moment, 35 of the 53 player coming from your own drafts is fairly impressive, and has to be fairly high on the charts.

They wanted young and fast, and by gum they've got young and fast.

-- Had a lot of e-mails and twitter messages in recent days about signing a WR.

Specifically, people seem to want the Panthers to bring in T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but before him the fascination was with Laveranues Coles and Antonio Bryant.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: When you sign a veteran, are you prepared to cut WR David Gettis to make room for him?  They probably aren't.

If I underestimated anything when I tried to pick the roster for them last week, it was how much they liked the sixth-round pick from Baylor. He's big, and has good speed, and he may not play much this year if at all. But they were unwilling to expose him to waivers, so it's hard to think they'd part with him now.

-- Wonder how OT Kirk Barton's feeling right about now? He didn't want to come here for a week when the Panthers claimed him off waivers. So instead, they signed former Saints practice squader Tim Duckworth as a temporary place-holder.

All Duckworth did was make the 53. Now, he might not last there, but all you hear guys say is that they want an opportunity, and Duckworth made the most of his.

-- I fully expect offensive line help to be on the way. Not sure who, not sure from where, but I'm fairly sure it's coming.

If RT Jeff Otah can't play at New York, and it doesn't sound like he's expected to, then their reserves are Duckworth and T Garry Williams. It's a long way from the days of Geoff Hangartner and Jeremy Bridges.

-- The 53-man roster is one thing, the really important one is the game-day 45.

They have to deactivate eight guys each Sunday, including the third quarterback. Who's going to be on that list against the Giants?

Otah, probably for one. And Tony Pike's the third QB. If RB Tyrell Sutton's shoulder's not ready, he might sit but if he's well you need him. After that, I'd guess you scratch Gettis,  DTs Nick Hayden and Andre Neblett (they generally go into games with seven DL), and either LB Eric Norwood or Nic Harris, depending on which one you want running down kicks.

Then it gets tricky.

Maybe it's WR Armanti Edwards, unless he's returning punts. It's hard to deactivate a defensive back, since they only have eight and a few of them are a little gimpy right now. Sitting both Harris and Norwood leaves you with just Jamar Williams and Jordan Senn in reserve at LB.

This is where keeping that extra kicker really sticks them, and why Todd Carter better blast everything out of the end zone to justify his roster spot.

-- Curious to see who gets claimed off waivers today. Would bet someone takes a flier on DT Corvey Irvin, since he was a recent third-round pick. CBs C.J. Wilson and Brian Witherspoon have enough film that they may attract some interest. WR Kenny Moore might not get claimed, and may have to make the Tuesday workout loop to find a job. Hoping he gets another shot, but we'll see. QB Hunter Cantwell's probably looking at a practice squad assignment, just sifting through the names on other rosters.

-- Of the guys they cut, you'd guess that WR Trent Guy, FB Rashawn Jackson, LB Andre Ware and CB R.J. Stanford would come back on the practice squad. Probably another CB and two OLs from somewhere else as well. Given Edwards' arm, they may not see the need to add a fourth QB, and could look for some more LB depth.

-- I've seen more talented rosters, and I've seen deeper rosters, but I don't think I've seen a more interesting roster.

Maybe this is a five-win team, maybe it's a 10-win team. I'll leave that for experts like Scott Fowler and Tom Sorensen (NostraThomas) to debate later in the week.

But this bunch, as presently constructed, is ripe with possibilities. That includes the possibility that a lot of these guys might not be ready to play at the NFL level.

—— Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on September 5, 2010 at 09:26 AM | Permalink

Comments

something just doesnt smell right with these decisions. its as if we are trying to be cheap over trying to win.....

Posted by: john | Sep 5, 2010 10:00:17 AM

Um, I think anyone with a functioning brain would take TJ Hous over David Gettis anyday without thinking about it. Im sure your master Marty Hurney told you to write this Gannt so I cant completely fault you even though you're an idiot!

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 10:03:20 AM

I agree Darin...I'm completely surprised with alot of these cuts. Such as C.J. Wilson and Tank. Both of these guys seemed to be playing at a high level. Wilson appearred to be breaking out before he was injured. IMO. I hope they catch on somewhere else.

Posted by: CatDaddy | Sep 5, 2010 10:03:25 AM

Panthers front office seems to have a hang of the situation though. Alot of OL veterans (including Max-Jean Gilles from the Eagles - what happened there ?) are on the free agent market right now. at least one of them will make their way onto the roster. There are a few players who can make the team better, but at what cost one might think. I like the "going younger and cheaper" approach.

Posted by: Krueger | Sep 5, 2010 10:07:28 AM

Let's go get those Giants! Schwartz is going to kick some butt up there, I can't wait!

Posted by: ken | Sep 5, 2010 10:29:05 AM

Jean-Gilles of the Eagles is supposed to be re-signed by the Eagles sometime today, so unless that turns out to be fallacy, then I wouldn't be looking for him in Carolina. They have told Jean-Gilles and the media, however, that they have every intention of re-signing him once Stacy Andrews is taken off the roster and they drop to 52 players.

@John: I encourage you to write better and more thorough topics than Gantt does. My money is on you can't even touch the quality of work that Gantt puts out. Idiot.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 5, 2010 10:30:12 AM

The quality that Darin puts out?

"Armanti Edwards...slurp slurp slurp"

"Every decision Marty Hurney makes is brilliant....slurp slurp slurp"

" Armanti Edwards....slurp slurp slurp"

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 10:36:56 AM

I'm surprised that Witherspoon was let go, was the two picks against Titans a fluke?

Maybe the Panthers have a thing against the name, like when they let Will Witherspoon go and kept oft injured Morgan instead.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Sep 5, 2010 10:38:34 AM

@ darin is an idiot: Our idiot identification software has identified the top idiot on these posts; it is you.

As for "anybody" for TJ Housh, I think the Seahawks have your answer there.

Now go play in traffic while the rest of us follow Darin's posts. I like multiple sources of information and he's a good one on the Panthers.

Posted by: Annoyedbyspam | Sep 5, 2010 10:45:21 AM

Darin only has 1 source and thats Marty Hurney. Anyone who follows Darin knows that Hurney tells him what to write in his colums. Its pretty commons to see Darin following Hurney like a puppy dog at BOA stadium with his nose in his asss hoping to get a treat/something to write.

And the seahawks cut TJ because he was expensive. He would come pretty cheap at his age and would be a major upgrade over the jobbers we have at receiver right now.

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 10:49:44 AM

Some people seem to have a hard time separating my opinion with an explanation of how the team's operating.

I don't love this group of WRs, not close. But they were committed to youth. So as much as Gettis may or may not ever turn out to be a player, they think he's going to be, and that's the point.

You might prefer Housmandzadeh, but they don't prefer short-term him at his salary to long-term Gettis at his.

Posted by: Darin Gantt | Sep 5, 2010 10:50:27 AM

"darin is an idiot" You should look in the Mirror 1st before calling someone an idiot. TJH might have 2 season 3 Max left in the NFL. Gettis could be a rising star by the end of the Season. The guy is super fast, 6'3" and some decent hands. They were smart to keep Gettis off the P.S. cause he would have never made it.

One more thing. I like TJ but it is FAR from a no-brainer. Are you willing to sacrifice a future star for a washed up one?

Don't be such an idiot to call someone else an idiot. IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DavethePanther | Sep 5, 2010 10:54:53 AM

You forgot to add one more thing Darin

Armanti Edwards.....slurp slurp slurp!

btw, I read your other colum. The only impact Armanti Edwards will make is in your wet dreams!

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 10:57:20 AM

You forgot to add one more thing Darin

Armanti Edwards.....slurp slurp slurp!

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 10:57:20 AM

You dont have to sign TJ to a long term deal. Hes 33, and would be lucky to get a 2 year deal somewhere. It wouldnt cost them squat to have both him and Gettis on the roster. Sacrificing this season in the hopes that a 6th round pick will one day be a star is something only an idiot would do. Gettis will lucky to be a star in the UFL one day.

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 11:04:06 AM

Who is the bigger idiot? The guy following sources to overhear information, or the one who takes the time out of his day to not only read the article, but to post multiple times in regards to the author? Keep enjoying the anonymity of the internet buddy. It'll be a sad day for the mouth breathers like you when more places start including your first and last name with your profile :)

Posted by: Josh | Sep 5, 2010 11:05:34 AM

Gantt is 1 of the best writers in the C.O.
The idiot that made the name "darinIsAnIdiot" must have gotten punked by Gantt pretty good. WTG Gantt on punking that person into obscurity! But then again it doesnt take a whole lot to punk some of these people, i have punked 1 or 2 into making stupid names about me too.
They think theyre winning a battle after they have been made to look foolish by changing their name, lol what idiots.

Posted by: MrBernz | Sep 5, 2010 11:07:40 AM

Oh no you're right Josh! If everyone knew my name I would be screwed because then all the posters here might come over and beat me up! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 11:09:10 AM

MrBernz

Darin couldnt punk a 2 year old let alone one of his readers. Shouldnt smithers be giving you a bath?

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 11:16:39 AM

TJ was a 7th round pick that developed into a good reciever. How is that different than where we're sitting?

Lets not kid ourselves the Panthers recent track record of signing #2 recievers on the downhill hasn't turned this team to an offensive juggernaut...

Posted by: Ashe | Sep 5, 2010 11:27:09 AM

Um, no the panthers recent track record of DRAFTING recievers is what has hurt them

Keary Colbert
Drew Carter
Dwayne Jarrett
Walter Young

BUSTS!!!!

Armanti Edwards
Brandon Lafell
David Gettis

FUTURE BUSTS!!!

Keyshawn was actually a very productive #2 and Moose was very productive in 2008 when he returened. He also played very well when Matt Moore took over late last season.

Lets not kid ourselves. The team is beating their heads on the wall trying to draft receivers because they are too hard headed to admit they suck at it. They need to go outside the organization if they expect to get any help.

Posted by: darin is an idiot | Sep 5, 2010 11:37:01 AM

I do kinda understand a little bit of what this new posting dude "darin is an idiot" is trying to say. For instance, for a solid month and a half before the draft, I personally think that darin as well as all the rest of the beat reporters were told to go silent about Edwards. I think the panthers front office had their sights set on him outta the gate and didn't want to draw a bunch of pre-draft attention. Although good in one respect (we did get him), its still kinda like the tail wagging the dog. Media manipulation! On the other hand, darin is probably the most accurate beat reporter we're gonna see for a long time. Thats ok darin, just don't kiss up too much and we'll stick with ya.

Posted by: stork302 | Sep 5, 2010 11:48:47 AM

Outbursts like this make me wonder what I said to get banned.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 5, 2010 11:50:25 AM

Darin, who says they would have to cut Gettis to bring in Houshmandzadeh? Why not get rid of DWAYNE JARRETT instead? What has he done in the preseason to inspire any sort of confidence that he will actually contribute this season? I've heard all that baloney about him "maturing" but I didn't see him doing squat in the preseason games. Wasn't even running with the starters most of the time. And who cares that he's a lot younger than Housh, I'd feel a hundred times better having him on the other side of Smitty than Jarrett.

Keep Gettis, cut Jarrett, pick up HOUSH. Seems sensible to me.

Posted by: DB | Sep 5, 2010 11:53:40 AM

one more thing for ole darin. As you already know, I'm a big brayton follower, so hows he doing? I think he's gonna show his butt this year. In a good way.

Posted by: stork302 | Sep 5, 2010 11:56:20 AM