« Cuts on the fly, more to come | Main | Morning-after roster thoughts »

PETITTI, ROB T PITTSBURGH

INJURED RESERVE:

DAVIS, C.J. G PITTSBURGH

FRANCISCO, AARON SS BRIGHAM YOUNG

ROBINSON, DUKE G OKLAHOMA STATE

Posted by Observer Sports on September 4, 2010 at 07:04 PM | Permalink

Comments

i can't believe they're only keeping four cornerbacks to start the season.

Posted by: codeman | Sep 4, 2010 7:22:36 PM

WTF, why are Davis and Robinson on injured reserve? That's not the out for season IR we're talking about, right?

Posted by: DB | Sep 4, 2010 7:25:13 PM

Posted by: DB | Sep 4, 2010 7:25:13 PM

Yes, IR means IR. You are thinking about PUP.

Posted by: Don Rickles | Sep 4, 2010 7:31:37 PM

That's the only kind of injured reserve there is. They would rather place them on IR for a sore finger and maintain their rights than waive them or another player that they would need to waive to keep them. All teams do this with roster trimming.

Posted by: MikeB | Sep 4, 2010 7:33:48 PM

Solid job Panthers. I'm glad we kept 6 wideouts, I think Gettis has good potential. The most suprising cut I think is Tank Tyler, he was a projected starter going into camp. Glad we kept Carter too, Kasay and Baker don't have the leg for kickoffs.

Posted by: GreenvillePanther | Sep 4, 2010 7:39:28 PM

Posted by: GreenvillePanther | Sep 4, 2010 7:39:29 PM

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one worried about Moore's hands.

Posted by: emlit | Sep 4, 2010 7:43:34 PM

I knew Tony Pike was to dangerous a quarterback to let go and risk playing against later. I have not figured out why they drafted Clausen ahead of Pike.

Posted by: john | Sep 4, 2010 7:52:43 PM

OK, I knew teams did that but didn't realize that's what we were trying to do with those two. We don't exactly have a ton of O-Line depth.

@John, Clausen was the more NFL ready QB. But you're right about Pike being potentially dangerous. I'm guessing our front office was afraid someone would snatch Pike off our practice squad if we put him there, like we did to the Cowboys with Matt Moore.

Posted by: DB | Sep 4, 2010 8:02:56 PM

Posted by: DB | Sep 4, 2010 8:03:04 PM

It ain't over, ya'll...other signings to come. BANK on it.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 4, 2010 8:07:01 PM

Indeed Scott. Go Panthers!!!

Posted by: PantherFanD | Sep 4, 2010 8:13:33 PM

Who is on the practice squad? I can't find this information anywhere.

Posted by: Tam | Sep 4, 2010 8:35:38 PM

practice squad forms after the other teams have 24 hours to sign the guys who got cut

Posted by: revdwl | Sep 4, 2010 8:56:56 PM

They should have not cut Kenney Moore!

Posted by: Glo | Sep 4, 2010 8:59:58 PM

They should have not cut Kenney Moore!

Posted by: Glo | Sep 4, 2010 9:00:01 PM

Hopefully one of those signings will be T.J. Housh!!!

Posted by: DB | Sep 4, 2010 9:00:59 PM

We should have kept Trent Guy. Way more explosive then any returner we have on the roster. Good luck hopeing he last till practice squad!

Posted by: chill | Sep 4, 2010 9:15:39 PM

Kenny Moore SUCKS!!

Posted by: Nick | Sep 4, 2010 9:17:44 PM

What has Nick Hayden ever done? Someone please tell me.

Posted by: Steven | Sep 4, 2010 9:30:53 PM

It's time for D. Jarrett to shine and be the probowler rep for the Panthers!

Posted by: Todd | Sep 4, 2010 9:30:57 PM

Glad we kept Gettis

That cat has major upside, even if he contributes mostly this year on special teams

You can't teach size and speed, and he has a lot more speed than Jarrett.

He could sneak up into the 3rd WR position before too long, and get some decent looks.

I still think Lafell is our #2 behind Smitty at this point, but I like keeping Gettis. I'm not gonna make any Marques Colston comparisons even though they were both 6th-7th round picks, but he might have been a real steal in the 6th.

Posted by: The Freak | Sep 4, 2010 9:42:06 PM

I cannot believe we kept Jarrett for yet another year! What a waste of cap space, roster spot, etc.!

Posted by: Panther kid | Sep 4, 2010 9:48:09 PM

Not too surprised by some picks. Wilson and Moore were coming. Cantwell will proabably be practice squad. Seeing Moore go hurts a little because of how well he's played. Irvin and Tyler clearly the disappointments. My question is, why are Duke and Davis on the IR? We now have what, 6 active lineman minus Otah for a couple weeks? Someone help me out here

Posted by: Chowtime | Sep 4, 2010 10:13:21 PM