« 'Teach Me How to QB' | Main | Next Fox-ism? They are what they are »

October 13, 2010

Agent says Kiper inflated Clausen's rating

There were no Panthers – current or former – named in the Sports Illustrated tell-all article by sports agent Josh Luchs, who admitted paying dozens of college football players over the past 20 years.

But during Luchs’ appearance on Dan Patrick’s radio show Wednesday, Panthers quarterback Jimmy Clausen’s name was pulled into the conversation.

Luchs used to work for Gary Wichard, the California-based agent whose relationship with former North Carolina assistant John Blake has come under NCAA scrutiny.

In the SI article, written by George Dohrmann, Luchs insinuates Wichard used his friendship with ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper to get Kiper to inflate the ratings of his clients – a charge that Kiper has denied.

Before this year’s draft, Kiper rated Clausen, a Wichard client, as the best quarterback available and fourth-best player overall. Meanwhile, Scouts, Inc.’s Todd McShay (another ESPN draftnik) ranked Clausen as the draft’s 38th best player, 35 spots below Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

On Patrick’s show, Luchs said he believes Kiper inflated Clausen’s ranking.

It seems Kiper’s influence is likewise overrated: Clausen fell to the second round as the 48th overall pick – 47 spots behind Bradford and 23 below Tim Tebow, the second quarterback taken.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

With that hair, anythingis possible with Kiper.

Posted by: JR-SUCKS! | Oct 13, 2010 12:49:58 PM

"There were no Panthers – current or former – named"

Other than Travis Claridge, of course

Posted by: pronger | Oct 13, 2010 12:56:34 PM

Seems they were off by a few dozen spots. This guy is HORRIBLE. My sister could throw the ball better. If he has been grooming for this his whole life, he sure wasted a lot of time. In two years this guy will be selling cars.

Posted by: NOTREDAMEBLOWS | Oct 13, 2010 12:56:52 PM

I have to say at this point bradford is clearly better. He has less talent around him and is atleast looking competent whereas I don't think the same can be said for Clausen. If i remember correctly kiper said Clausen would be able to step in and manage a team much like Matt Ryan did his first year. That isn't the case, I do hope Clausen turns out to be great just don't really see it yet. Finally how can he fumble so many snaps? It shouldnt be that hard I promise I wouldnt fumble that many, can't throw but would be able to handle a snap

Posted by: tpnay | Oct 13, 2010 12:59:24 PM

So either way we still got him for a good deal. It's not like M. Hurney didn't try to trade away more picks to mess it up though.

Thank God that everyone was denying him that opportunity or we might not have a first rounder next year either.

I say we stop screwing around and go all out on wide receivers next year. With our 1st round (top 3 pick) pick up the WR from Georgia.

If we still had our second rounder (thanks Armanti Edwards) We could have tried to pick up Alshon Jeffery (provided we get luck enough to get him in the second)

He may fall to the third, because he looks good, but I bet at 230 lbs his 40 time is pretty so slow. I would take him if he clocked a 5.9 40 time. He looks damn good!

Posted by: Chuck | Oct 13, 2010 1:03:02 PM

keyshawn was mentioned....however he did not take da cash money.

Posted by: mr obvious | Oct 13, 2010 1:07:18 PM

I say we go on the FA market to get our WRs next year. It takes 3 years for a rookie WR to 'get it' usually in the NFL (Calvin Johnson and Hakeem Nicks being exceptions).

Posted by: Authority | Oct 13, 2010 1:11:47 PM

Clausen's performance this year is proving McShay was 100% correct. If I were Kiper, I would be lawyering up faster than a UNC football player...

Posted by: M_N | Oct 13, 2010 1:15:31 PM

Clausen hasn't looked good but who would with our offensive line? A QB has to have more than 2 seconds to go thru his progressions.

Posted by: rusman21 | Oct 13, 2010 1:30:20 PM

Wow, so that means the Panthers draft and sign players who aren't good enough to be paid by an agent to get them to sign with their agency....hmmmmmmm, no wonder we suck so bad.

Posted by: Bobscat | Oct 13, 2010 1:37:12 PM

Has Mel Kiper ever been right about anything. Just another talking head who knows absolutely nothing.

Posted by: PantherRHat | Oct 13, 2010 1:43:01 PM

Very few people on this Earth are more impresed with themselves then Kiper. I'm glad there are smarter people such as McShay and Mike Mayock to get better analysis from.

As for getting a better WR... As much as I hate to say it, we should trade Steve Smith to New England for Julian Eddleman and one of their second or third round picks. Then we pick the best O-lineman in round one and the best available WR with our next pick. Given AJ Green's track record of bad decision-making, I don't want to use a top 5 pick on him.

With that trade we would have on WR who can actually catch, and be set up to improve more in the draft. We need a new O-lineman. Gross has regressed so badly he's worse than he was as a clueless rookie, and Wharton is regressing at nearly the same pace.

Posted by: J | Oct 13, 2010 1:45:20 PM

Watching Clausen in real NFL games has exposed some weaknesses for sure, but it's also about the rest of the team and coaching.

Clausen: Jimmy is seeing the field OK but still isn't up to the speed of the game or the complexity of coverages. His clock is moving too slow, common for rookies. He's small by NFL QB standards; between that and his natural tendency to lock in on a receiver he's getting a lot of passes tipped at the line. The snap fumbles are problematic but not long term...everybody's trying to get out too fast. Most concerning are his mechanics. JC throws a bit sidearm, with a low release point. His release is s.l..o..w.. Arm strength is average at best. This bugs me more than anything, which makes me think he's likely to be a back-up in this league.

Team: Hard to throw to receivers who aren't getting seperation, or behind a line that's giving up too much penetration on simple blitzes or just 4 man pressure. Also really hard to throw when you're usually doing it in obvious situations (3rd and long). Running game is not helping enough, mostly due to the o-line.

Coaching: Hard to have success when the staff calls plays from gameplans built in another era. The NFL is a passing league, which only means you MUST be able to execute the passing game to achieve balance with your run game. Fox plays the same old way, and is predictable as dirt. Everybody cracks on Davidson, but he's got a lot of stuff available..just can't get into some of it unless we're down 3 TD's and we must pass.

I'd like to see Pike, mixed with some Edwards wildcat. Really, Pike is more raw than Jimmy, but more ready than Edwards. I think he has the best stuff to build on, but we won't see that this season unless Jimmy and Matt get banged up.

Posted by: Bassman | Oct 13, 2010 1:56:03 PM

Clauson can not manage the game (too slow in play calling)and cannot throw the ball with any authority. Unless things change, I have seen enough in two games and preseason.

This team needs to give Tony Pike a shot or hit the free agency market for another QB. No exception.

Posted by: par404 | Oct 13, 2010 1:59:06 PM

I have learned over the years not to listen to anything Mel Kipper says. I don't know why they keep calling him an expert. When was the last time he was right about the first 10 picks?

Posted by: ENCTarheel | Oct 13, 2010 2:01:25 PM

Anyone else hear any rumblings about Steve Smith having his house on the market? This may be a rumor, but I figured someone may know more than the rest of us.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Oct 13, 2010 2:15:12 PM

Classon Pickle is too short. He can not throw the ball over a midget's head.

Posted by: kevin | Oct 13, 2010 2:16:03 PM

Who cares what Kiper thought Clausen was all I know is we got Clausen in the 2nd round. If he doesn't work out then it isn't like we put a lot of money into drafting him. I still have hope he will be pretty good once this team figures out how to block someone and he learns how to play QB on the NFL level. I also have a feeling he will look better next year. Most rookie QBs struggle. One thing John Fox has proven is that he can't coach QBs. Maybe our next coach will be better at that aspect of coaching. If Clausen isn't favored by the new coach then maybe we will grab a vet via free agency or even draft a guy with the really high pick we will have. I still have hope that Clausen will turn otu pretty good once he has some blocking and weapons. If he doesn't then we haven't lost much monetarily.

Posted by: Smiley | Oct 13, 2010 2:24:06 PM

I have been hard on Clausen. But I think its unfair to condemn a rookie for playing like a rookie.

Posted by: Musson | Oct 13, 2010 2:56:32 PM

Agreed Musson. I think it is unfair to condemn a quarterback who is forced to play for Fox & Davidson period.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Oct 13, 2010 2:58:33 PM

All this trade talk about Steve Smith is insane. Another player the half hearted fans will come to regret if he is traded. Ridiculous!!!

Posted by: PantherFanD | Oct 13, 2010 3:04:04 PM

Playing like a rookie that shows promise is one thing. Playing like a rookie who doesn't learn from his mistakes is another.

Posted by: Ben | Oct 13, 2010 3:04:20 PM

Lets be realistic - we are judging Clausen based on 3 games, he is behind an underperforming O line, coached by a buffoon, and surrounded by less than stellar rookie talent. Kind of hard to condemn him already with those factors - even Farve couldnt do any better with those factors.

Seems like a lot of people said the same thing about Farve when he was with ATL - look what happened when he got dealt to a good team with weapons. Clausen will be OK with the right supporting cast.

Posted by: manu4t | Oct 13, 2010 3:07:27 PM

Oops, I meant Favre, not Farve.

Posted by: manu4t | Oct 13, 2010 3:09:44 PM

I totally agree with manu4t. By the way chances are if were in the top 3 picks we'll likely be picking Ryan Mallet from razorbacks. I saw something on espn about us liking jet so coordinator, schottenhiemer. Excuse my spelling. I'll take it. its an offensive mind who has a great run game and has made Sanchez look great. Don't get me wrong its obviouswe need a ton of help on the o-line and at WR, but maybe we get lucky with Devin Thomas. (wishful thinking) But the man can return kicks and punts which does save a roster spot. I really dont mind clauson...he does make a ton of mistakes but the coaching is so bad...he's put in a ton of bad situations. Theyve gota help him out some. Maybe we can get Otah back and plug Schwartz in at RG and run the ball some. Again wishful thinking.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 13, 2010 3:28:17 PM