« Panthers' pass rush hurting | Main | Carolina Panthers links for Saturday »

Friday Forecast: Can Panthers beat Saints? / Observer

Win tickets to Bears at Panthers / Observer

Agent discussed trade option for Jarrett / Gaston Gazette

Panthers DTs working out well / Gaston Gazette

10 observations on Saints / New Orleans Times-Picayune

Posted by Observer Sports on October 1, 2010 at 06:16 AM | Permalink

Comments

Read the article on Jarrett. He has every right to be bitter with the Panthers but he's not.
I'm still mad that the Panthers won't give him a chance to play.
Anyone who thinks he's a bust must remember who he's having to play for (Fox and Davidson) and the QB's he's had (Delhomme) during his career.
This is the perfect opportunity for him to develop with a new QB (Clausen).
We need to go get Weiss at the end of the year and let him work with Jarrett; I'll bet Jarrett would make the pro-bowl.

Posted by: SCPOAB | Oct 1, 2010 7:31:28 AM

Fluff Page

Posted by: PurrDurham | Oct 1, 2010 9:14:54 AM

Quiet rumors have Panthers trading DWill to Packers

Posted by: SAW | Oct 1, 2010 9:29:18 AM

Purr, what is your problem? Feel free to call me to discuss.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Oct 1, 2010 9:43:46 AM

Yeah, Payton why wouldn't you want The Panthers to keep Johnnie. Since you only have to see Panthers as a threat in your division every couple of years.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 1, 2010 10:13:09 AM

That Jarett article was fine reporting. Maybe Jarrett can be great, but he'll never be great here, so why do we have him? Let's trade him, recoup one of the late round pics we wasted on those defensive tackles, promote that other receiver from the practice squad in his place, and get Josh Vaughan back on the practice squad.

Posted by: Jason Alston | Oct 1, 2010 10:23:30 AM

Something needs to stop with all these rumors of trading our few good players, we are not the bobcats.. 89 is the captain of the team.. how many times have you seen them traded?

Posted by: zach | Oct 1, 2010 11:40:24 AM

PurrDurham, why are you coming in here just to talk bad about The Observer? I'm glad Mr. Persinger put you in your place. I doubt you'll be calling him, because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. But seriously, without this post I wouldn't have had the opportunity to read these articles because I don't have time to find them on my own. Thanks for finding these articles for me and putting them together in one easy place. So sit down Purr and be quiet now, the executive sports editor just called you out.

GO Panthers!

Posted by: Stick Isley | Oct 1, 2010 2:45:18 PM

this is john fox's 9th year with the league. out of the 9.....he's either been successful or had a helluva reason why he hasn't been. it's unfortunate the team's fanbase has the i.q. of a 1st grader and can't see that.

2002- he inherits a 1-15 team and goes 7-9 with rodney peete at quarterback. success.

2003- 11-5 makes it to the superbowl and nearly wins it.

2004- loses steve smith, every running back not named nick goings and several other key pieces to injuries and finishes 7-9. nick goings led the team in rushing. 7-9 = success.

2005- 11-5 again, back in the playoffs AND advanced. success.

2006- 8-8; first real unsuccessful and somewhat unexcusable season. lost 4 games by 4 points or less. 7th in the league in defense. delhomme did miss 3 games in which chris weinke went 1-2 in.

2007- delhomme misses 13 games after starting 2-1 and looking great. finish the season 5-8 with names like carr, moore, and testaverde under center. how many teams are successful after losing their quarterback for the year? in recent years I can think of only new england and st. louis having luck with that strategy. vinny testaverde's name alone stamps this as not being fox's fault. he should get an award for getting us to 7-9. incredible coaching. he won 2 of 3 with an undrafted rookie starting.

2008- 12-4 playoffs, delhomme implosion. coaches don't fumble or throw interceptions, success by all measures.

2009- 7-9 as the delhomme implosion carries over to start the year mixed with fumbles and tipped ball interceptions all too familiar like this year. no success here. no real excuse either.

2010- he's handed the youngest team in the league with all inexperienced quarterbacks and receivers not named smith. he's got 2 1st round picks injured (otah and davis). how is this fox's fault?

2 out of 9 were failed seasons. the rest come with the territory of football. that's why most teams that lose the superbowl don't make the playoffs the next year. fox deserves to get a lifetime contract but instead he'll go be equally successful elsewhere and panthers fans will continue to talk about delhomme like he wasn't the most successful QB in franchise history.

call me when we replace those guys with improvements.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 1, 2010 5:37:26 PM

Stats. mean nothing ask John Fox and all the other issues are excuses(Just like Felton and Agustine).
other than 2004 there is no excuse... ONE REASON AND ONE REASON only for the past 6 (not this year included) years we have been one of the teams with the most talent of any team in the league. Week in week out through those winning seasons and Losing we were NEVER consistent, because of "Fox BAll(Take what they give us and bend don't break defense)".
Fox Ball was severly Magnified when we had the harder schedules. How many games have we had to come from behind to win over those years, because Foxie Runs the ball till almost out of the game and then opens the play book. But OH NO! that was Dan Hennings fault, like now Davidsons.
Bottom line we had the talent to crush opponents week in week out and be a Da@# good team even when not at 100%.

We are not even talking about the "D" side of the ball, fox being passive. How often have we blitzed over the years really stuck it to the other team? We blitz, what maybe once a quarter a saftey blitz. The One I use to Love was 3rd and forever and we would drop Kris Jenkins into coverage. Oh! But wait that was Turgovacs fault.
How many coordinators and coaches do we lose before Fox is finally gone.

Fox's Philosphy is dead. What other team is playing our type of ball.run,run,pass,punt)?
The Ravens and Buc.s and Who else have evolved. How many people have said this is now Qb driven League, that you have to be balanced. Even one of our former players Dan Morgan stated something similar on WFNZ.

We "nearly" did not make it to the NFC Championship 2003! Steve Smith bailed Fox out, saved our A@#!

FINALLY the fact that after last year Delhomme "Gave Us The Best Chance To Win" CRAP! Our coach stands on the sidelines last year week after week and watches our season go down the drain. This a coach that needs a lifetime contract?

Look too many variables and points to debate and I am not. I said before either you get it or not! So pick it apart, I am not debating every litte fact.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 1, 2010 7:09:37 PM

Sorry for the grammer(little under the weather).
My disclamer-- I think Fox was a good Coach and have enjoyed The Panthers success over the years(However Frustrating). I don't think Fox will change his Philosophy based on the past 2years. Some coaches may have the same philosophy today, but they(coaches) understand being agressive is a must and that is not Fox.
I feel very sure Fox will travel Capers Path. JR gave him a pass this season. But for everyone that is another story..

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 1, 2010 8:56:43 PM

How can you call a good reason, an excuse? Isnt any reason an excuse? So in your eyes, there is no reason for them to not win the superbowl every year, because if there was a reason it would just be an excuse. End of story.

Posted by: MrBernz | Oct 1, 2010 9:17:40 PM

@Stick Isley,
Quit brown nosing the C.O. staff. 5 of the 8 links are from the Observer themselves. 2 are from the Gaston Gazette and 1 is from New Orleans Times. It's not like their giving you national links like the blogs Pat Y. does for ESPN.

Posted by: Shane Jack | Oct 1, 2010 11:02:01 PM

Mr. Persinger (and Darin)

Can either of you explain why it's necessary to create a separate site to post mostly Observer links, all of which are available on the main page, sometimes 2 or 3 times?

The other links are an excellent idea; I suggested yesterday that this be a "Other Panther Links" page." (Stick Isley - you don't get what I'm complaining about.)

My complaints have to do with my desire for substantive, not superficial reporting; when I follow a link, I expect to see something new. Don't waste my time.

Mike, you and I have exchanged e-mails in the past about other issues. (For which I've appreciated your willingness to respond.) I hope you'll be kind of enough to offer a public explanation since you've publicly questioned my purpose. (You have my e-mail address, so I presume you could have e-mailed me directly.)

When I produce a document for public consumption, an editor worth his salt tears it apart if I continue to repeat myself or say the same thing in different ways.

Thanks for allowing me to post.

PurrDurham

Posted by: PurrDurham | Oct 1, 2010 11:03:26 PM

LMAO at Stick Isley acting like "The Executive Sports Writer" is the president of the USA. Loser.

Posted by: Todd Duffee | Oct 1, 2010 11:04:33 PM

K!! Reason and Excuse have different definitions, smart idiot!!

Bernz you are a genius!! At least you think you are,, "End of Story"... NOPE not really!!!! It's the perception... Blah Blah Look it up...

And basically Their were excuses why and I had a Reason why it did not matter, "The Excuses"!!!

Or who gives a Turkey.... Can't beleive I entered into this with Bernz!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 1, 2010 11:38:09 PM

I've got kids and bust my A@#!.Evaryday, you can't respond within reasonable time, don't have time for ya!!!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 2, 2010 12:58:49 AM

Everyday

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 2, 2010 12:59:57 AM

Purr,
Apparently, some people bookmark this blog, not The Observer's homepage, and I have seen complaints on here in the past that this blog is "all" we do on the Panthers, and it's not enough. So, I post the links to Observer stories and some others, usually by 8 a.m., as a reader service. Do I put our stuff in the links? Yeah, of course I do. And since they're all bit.ly links, I get numbers on how many people click those links, and the numbers are substantial. Since some users of the blog are using the links, I think it's worth posting them. If you don't use them, that's fine, as I've said before. Apparently, though, not everyone is like you. Some would like a one-stop place to find Panthers stuff, and I want this to be the place. I have often invited readers to add links in the comments, and that's fine. Find something I didn't? Post it. The more the better. I post legitimate news outlets only, not fan blogs (unless I find them particularly insightful), but you guys can post them. I don't always find everything, obviously.
Again, if you don't like the links posts, you can ignore them. They may not be for you. But not everyone is like you.
More questions? You have my number.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Oct 2, 2010 7:41:24 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Mike. That's very helpful. Obviously, if you see a need for a repetitive page like this, it makes more sense. It's been hard for me to discern any good reason. I confess that I have a "thing" against excess and for keeping things simple, uncluttered, and readable. (Perhaps you should keep the page, and eliminate the repetitive links on the main page.)

You've satisfied my concern. I'll just stay off this page and leave it alone from now on, sparing you the complaints and me the annoyance.

Again, thanks for being responsive.

PurrDurham