« Smith and Martin ruled out for Bears' game | Main | Three things to watch besides Peppers »

October 10, 2010

More on the Peppers talks

    Until he's retired, I suppose, the story will never go away. And maybe not even then.

    But last week, sources close to Chicago Bears DE Julius Peppers said the history of his failed negotiations here isn't as the Panthers have presented it.

    Panthers general manager Marty Hurney has said several times recently that they twice offered Peppers deals that would have made him the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL, and that he believes the decision wasn't driven by money.

    According to the source close to Peppers, the timeline of the negotiation went something like this.

    -- Shortly after his career-worst 2.5-sack season, the Panthers came to them with a six-year, $73 million offer. While that would have put him ahead of players such as Jared Allen and Dwight Freeney who were at the $12.0 million per year mark, the narrow margin of that bump was not what he believed he was worth.

    At that point, the source said, Peppers mind was reeling after a horrible season, and he wasn't sure what he wanted to do long-term, or where he wanted to do it.

    -- That led to the first decision to use the franchise tag on him, even after he loudly asked not to be tagged, saying he felt he had done everything he could here.

    Peppers and owner Jerry Richardson met that summer face-to-face over lunch to clear up some differences, and both left that meeting authorizing their representatives (Hurney and agent Carl Carey) to work toward a long-term deal. Peppers responded with 14.5 sacks in 2008, and after the season, according to the source, the Panthers made a four-year, $48 million offer.

    That still put him in line with Allen and Freeney, but was well below what Peppers expected, especially with Oakland CB Nnamdi Asomugha (three-year, $45.3 million) and Washington DT Albert Haynesworth (seven-year, $100 million) signing scale-busitng deals.

    Thus rejected, the source said the Panthers came back later with a four-year, $54 million offer, which included 37.5 million in guarantees.

    Peppers ultimately played out 2009 under the $16.7 million franchise tag, and when the Panthers announced they weren't going to tag him again, signed a six-year, $91.5 million deal with a reported $42 million in guarantees. Of course, only $20 million of that sum is guaranteed for both skill and injury after the first year.

    But Peppers' camp insists that he was willing to return to the Panthers for the right money, considering how much he enjoyed working under defensive coordinator Ron Meeks and line coach Brian Baker.

    It's an extremely complicated history, made more complicated by the fact only one side is talking (which keeps it from being a true "he-said, she-said").

    The Panthers have steadfastly refused to comment on negotiations, whether with Peppers or anyone.

    Would it help them in this instance? Perhaps.

     Does that change their stance? It does not.

     Does that make this blog a simple recitation of one side's version of the story? Yes.

    Take it for what it's worth, and with the knowledge that he's a Bear now, they're moving on and kickoff's in about five hours.

-- Darin Gantt

 

Posted by Observer Sports on October 10, 2010 at 07:41 AM | Permalink

Comments

The Charlotte media working against the best interests of the Panthers, as they like to do. Julius played his butt off for the franchise yet the papers (especially the Observer) called for his head and tried to turn the fans against them. Well, real fans never forget and don't disrespect the players that make Panthers football enjoyable.

Posted by: Al | Oct 10, 2010 8:58:43 AM

Poor guy, they only offered $73 million after the 2.5 sack season. I really feel bad for him.

Posted by: fred | Oct 10, 2010 9:02:28 AM

Screw Peppers. When he takes off 5-6 games next season the Chicago press and fans will eat him alive. He will then realize how good he had in CLT where we put up with his half hearted effort.

Posted by: Jimcat | Oct 10, 2010 9:04:20 AM

That 'taking off plays' is an invention of Darin Gantt and Scott Fowler. Listen to Sirius NFL Radio and let some real football experts set you straight on that point.

Posted by: Authority | Oct 10, 2010 9:26:11 AM

..Until he's retired, I suppose, the story will never go away. And maybe not even then"...

Quit writing about it, and I'll forget about it, I assure you.

Posted by: Brent | Oct 10, 2010 9:37:25 AM

PEPPERS WAS THE MAN, EVERETTE BROWN, TIME IS NOW BUDDY

Posted by: Spence | Oct 10, 2010 9:44:00 AM

Reports out last week were that the Green Bay Packers organization made only 5 million dollars after taxes. Keep that in mind when Peppers turned down the Panthers 13.5 million USD offer.

Posted by: steve | Oct 10, 2010 9:56:34 AM

This story pretty much jives with stories covering Peppers press conference after he signed with the Bears. And Pep was right about getting rid of all our high paid talent. I'm surprised Smith hasn't been traded to NE for a 6th rnd pick in the next draft.

Posted by: Ohio Panther | Oct 10, 2010 10:48:56 AM

I think is is time to move from PEP!

Posted by: LETSGOCATS | Oct 10, 2010 12:21:19 PM

Yeah, Authority, totally made up. That's why a player as talented as he is managed a whopping 2.5 sacks OVER 16 GAMES!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 10, 2010 1:36:38 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.

Advertisements