« Panthers hope to get sacks on track vs. Bears | Main | More on the Peppers talks »

October 08, 2010

Smith and Martin ruled out for Bears' game

As expected, Panthers leading receiver Steve Smith will not play in Sunday's game against Chicago.

The news should not come as a surprise.

Asked for an update on his condition Thursday, Smith gestured to his feet. He wore a Croc on his right foot and a protective boot on his left -- not the kind of footwear you want to see your top playmaker sporting for very long.

Panthers coach John Fox, as is his custom, has refrained from providing a timeline for Smith's return. With the open date following the Bears' game, Smith could have nearly three weeks to heal his high ankle sprain before the Panthers host San Francisco on Oct 24.

Safety Sherrod Martin is out after sustaining a concussion against the Saints. Martin is the Panthers' biggest hitter in the secondary, although rookie Jordan Pugh did some good things in the second half against the Saints after Martin was sidelined.

And if there's a good week to be without a starting defensive back, this might be it. The Bears will trot out 38-year-old Todd Collins as their starting quarterback in place of Jay Cutler, who suffered a concussion last week while absorbing an NFL-record nine first-half sacks against the Giants.

Right tackle Jeff Otah, a mainstay on the injured list since getting his knee scoped in August, remains out. Backup middle linebacker Jamar Williams (neck) will not be able to play against his former team.

Tailback DeAngelo Williams, who missed Wednesday's practice because of an illness, is probable. So is nickel back and punt returner Captain Munnerlyn, who was back at practice a day after a receiver stepped on his foot.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on October 8, 2010 at 01:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

lets hope AE turns into Davone Bess this sunday. just run the ball on whatever side peppers isnt on

Posted by: Ian | Oct 8, 2010 1:45:29 PM

I know a team doctor who says clearly that Smith is well enough to play, but he's made the choice not to.

Posted by: pantherfan | Oct 8, 2010 1:47:08 PM

Man, I have a tough time with that pantherfan. I am no means questioning you knowing this team doctor, but I have had a high ankle sprain and it took me about 2 months to get to where I could make strong cuts when running. Granted I am no professional athlete, but I would imagine a 31 year old Smith would need a few weeks to get back to running routes with precision and little pain. He could probably run a streak route no problem though. Just my thoughts bro.

Posted by: Brooks | Oct 8, 2010 1:51:51 PM

I'm starting to get worried about this Otah injury. He's already had a tough time staying healthy early in his career, and now a surgery that wasn't even supposed to keep him out of Week 1 has turned into not being ready to play until close to Nov. at the earliest???? Is there something there that we should be more concerned about long term wise?

Posted by: tom P | Oct 8, 2010 2:14:43 PM

I am beginning to think we may never see Otah on the field again. If so, I feel almost certain he will never play another complete season and be out of the league in few years.

Posted by: lemmotlow | Oct 8, 2010 2:18:02 PM

If it is true that Smitty decided to lay out, I would never blame him. He is the one player who always gives 100%. He can see the same writing on the wall that we all see. JR and Fox have no intention on being competitive this year. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Somewhere George Shinn is having the time of his life!!

Posted by: JR-SUCKS! | Oct 8, 2010 3:02:08 PM

Re: to brooks

We will see. If he comes back next week than clearly it wasn't a high ankle sprain.

I'm just telling you something that was told to me directly from a team doc, not trying to spread rumors, I'm the biggest Smith fan out there and it was surprising to hear from me as well. His ankle has the mobility to play, I'm sure he is just being cautious, we are 0-4, why risk further damage when he's trying to get 1 more contract in his career?

Posted by: pantherfan | Oct 8, 2010 3:03:30 PM

Yeah man, great point pantherfan

Posted by: Brooks | Oct 8, 2010 4:57:53 PM

I find it hard to believe that a team doctor is talking out of school about a player's injury. It not only is unethical, but certainly would be against team and league policies. He could easily be fired and reprimanded by the state medical board.
Every doctor knows you can't discuss a patient with anyone without the patient's permission.

Posted by: CW | Oct 8, 2010 5:46:21 PM

@pantherfan - I have been at practice the last 3 days. Smith was walking with a huge boot, and not putting any weight on the foot. Smith is so competitive he would not even skip practices, or games. As far as his contract, this is a high ankle sprain. If he was so worried about his contract in 2 years, he wouldn't have been playing in flag football this summer in a competitive league, where he broke his arm. That was a lot more serious then the ankle.

Otho Carolina would not allow a Doctor to give out diagnosis on a patient, or the Team would not allow it..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Oct 8, 2010 9:25:20 PM