« Spagnuolo talks Steven Jackson, Panthers | Main | Local knowledge: St. Louis Rams »

October 27, 2010

Williams misses practice with bad foot

Panthers RB DeAngelo Williams (foot) was held out of practice Wednesday, which is tough news for a running game which has struggled anyway.

Williams hobbled off the field late in last week's win after a bad day. He had 19 carries for 44 yards, while backup Jonathan Stewart added 29 yards on 14 carries. That 2.2 yard per carry average is ridiculous, but they got away with it thanks to a rare passing day by QB Matt Moore.

DE Tyler Brayton (personal) was also absent, along with RT Jeff Otah (knee).

Also Wednesday, the Panthers signed LB Abdul Hodge to replace Jamar Williams (neck), who was placed on injured reserve. Originally a third-round pick out of Iowa, Hodge is in his fifth year. The 28-year-old previously played for Green Bay and Cincinnati.

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on October 27, 2010 at 02:33 PM | Permalink

Comments

They need to trade Williams now for a 4th round pick. He is getting old and cant produce anymore so they need to trade him before the other teams realize it. He is lazy like Stewart and doesnt want to practice anymore. I think Williams got tired of seeing Stewart not practicing and decided to copy him.

Posted by: Moronic Fanbase | Oct 27, 2010 2:51:10 PM

You, like your name says, are completely moronic. You don't know one thing of which you speak. People like you should be sterilized so that you can not contaminate the rest of the world with your stupidity.

Posted by: PantherJohn | Oct 27, 2010 2:54:54 PM

I think we need to turn our "meter" on when we read Moronic's posts.

Posted by: Cat | Oct 27, 2010 3:02:37 PM

u guys think dwill will play this week?

Posted by: mike | Oct 27, 2010 4:11:06 PM

I think Williams is doing what a lotof players will by the end of the season. Quit. They quit listening to Fox long ago, now they just want to stay healthy so they can get out of this podunk town as soon as possible.

Go Bobcats

Posted by: GO BOBCATS, GO TO HE(( Panthers | Oct 27, 2010 4:21:36 PM

Anyone who thinks the lack of running success has been the fault of Stewart or Williams just doesn't know football. No running back is going to do great without the line opening lanes for them to run through. Our O-line has been atrocious in run-blocking this season.

Posted by: nate | Oct 27, 2010 5:35:37 PM

To the poster using "Darin Gantt" as a user name, please stop. I have deleted all the posts with that user name. Since our reporters often respond on these blogs using their own name, I ask you not to use their names. Thanks.

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Oct 27, 2010 5:38:52 PM

That's cute. Making a note of IP address ...

Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Posted by: Mike Persinger | Oct 27, 2010 9:08:41 PM

First of all the trade deadline has past. Second trading williams is a moronic thought let alone a probability. He's one of the better young backs in the league. duh.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 27, 2010 9:20:54 PM

Hey could someone tell me what sgoing on with devin thomas...? why isnt this guy active? he should get a chance to play. I'd rather see him in a reciever role than clowney. Just curious if u guys know aything about what the coaches think of him

Posted by: Randy | Oct 27, 2010 9:23:53 PM

Posted by: Randy | Oct 27, 2010 9:23:53 PM

moronic fanbase is truly an idiot, getting old?~?~?~?~?, what a retard, once the Cats get the passing game going ull see how good the rush is. Dumb, dumb, stupid people these days

Posted by: parker | Oct 28, 2010 12:59:10 AM

our run game struggles because Hoover isnt there making the holes

Posted by: brett | Oct 28, 2010 1:16:07 AM

LOOOOOOSERS!

Posted by: falconsfan1 | Oct 28, 2010 1:53:10 AM

@brett: Try taking your eye of the ball and check the blocking. Fiamenta has thrown a number of very good blocks totally removing his defender from the play. The problem is that our right side linemen are not getting to the second level so there is always another defender to make the stop.

Posted by: Thorrez | Oct 28, 2010 3:53:03 AM

@falconsfan1

We will see how far you guys go in the regular season.If you get to the playoffs;it will be one & done!Ryan always chokes in the big games!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Oct 28, 2010 6:31:00 AM

nobody can run with no blocker.......

Posted by: boydsgrigg | Oct 28, 2010 11:01:32 AM

For you people too slow to get it, this name is to make fun of the losers that post nothing but negativity about every article. I try to say the most stupid stuff i can think of just to be like the "moronic fanbase". It isnt an insult to the normal fans, its just to let others see how retarded their negativity looks to everyone else. And believe me, it is hard thinking up so much stupid stuff to type, i dont knwo how they do it so constantly.

Posted by: Moronic Fanbase | Oct 28, 2010 11:27:40 AM

I doubt trading Williams even entered into anyone's mind at the front office. You don't send your number one rb somewhere else unless you have a viable, HEALTHY alternative. Goodson is a terrific returner and I think he'll get a td soon..... Sutton is unproven, and Stewart is nursing an injury that happened so long ago that another player on the roster has recovered from one ligament tear and is darn near recovered from a second (Davis). I think Fiametta will continue to develop as a respectable blocker under the current coaching staff, but if we lose them (the coaching staff) after this year and they are replaced by one of these new "pass first" mentality groups, we might be in trouble again. I would also like to know the deal with Thomas as we went out on a bit of a limb to pick him up. It would also be nice to see them dress Armanti Edwards for more than injury replacement. Hopefully we'll turn this season around now and at least get to .500 which this year could even equal a playoff berth as much as the NFC is struggling.....

Posted by: Whistler225 | Oct 28, 2010 11:28:07 AM

oh and Falconsfan: don't you guys have your own paper there in GA? Seems like a silly and wasteful endeavor to go to someone else's and say something as numb-minded as "LOOOOOSERS!" I think we all know our team's record (and yours) and it's pretty sad when the division that boasts the league champs can't muster a team with a better record. With the talent the Falcons have they should be undefeated at this point, but because you have your own QB issues to deal with it seems a bit early to run around making playground comments.

Posted by: Whistler225 | Oct 28, 2010 11:31:34 AM

How is the nfc struggling? The AFC is 54-49, the NFC is 50-53. Thats pretty close numbers if you ask me. But what do i know im just a part of the moronic fanbase.

Posted by: Moronic Fanbase | Oct 28, 2010 11:34:39 AM

Thus my meter comment Moronic...

For awhile you had me going!! But yesterday I saw the light. I apologize I had my "meter" turned off when visiting the Panther Blog. I have to admit your posts are hysterical. Bravo and keep them coming.

Posted by: Cat | Oct 28, 2010 12:54:32 PM