« Panthers promote QB (updated) | Main | Adding injuries to the insults »

November 17, 2010

RB DeAngelo Williams placed on IR

1117deangleosideline

With seven games left and no clear answer when he'd return, the Panthers placed RB DeAngelo Williams (above) on injured reserve because of the foot sprain suffered on the game-winning drive against San Francisco (below).

Williams, who will be a free agent after the season, could have played his last game here barring a contract extension.

The fifth-year back holds franchise records for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns.

Also Wednesday, QB Jimmy Clausen (concussion) was held out of practice, leaving the Panthers with just Tony Pike and Brian St. Pierre

Also out were LB Jon Beason, RBs Jonathan Stewart (head), Tyrell Sutton (ankle), OG Travelle Wharton and WR Brandon LaFell (concussion).

To fill the opening on the practice squad, the Panthers signed RB Jeremiah Johnson, the former Oregon back who was waived-injured by Houston in September.

-- Darin Gantt

1117deangelodown

Posted by Observer Sports on November 17, 2010 at 01:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

Go find an owner who wants to win D.W., we respect your talent. Nobody will blame you from jumping off this sinking ship. Maybe you can return when J.R. finally bites the dust.

Posted by: JR-Sucks!! | Nov 17, 2010 1:30:01 PM

What kind of idiot fan actually wants our best players to go to another team? The real idiots come out of the woodwork when you have a bad season.

Posted by: Smiley | Nov 17, 2010 1:42:57 PM

Well crap. Best wishes DW.

Posted by: TP | Nov 17, 2010 1:44:15 PM

I agree, D Will needs to be retained regardless! Good things will come, not this year but they will.

Posted by: Panthrman | Nov 17, 2010 1:49:33 PM

time for da GoodSon eXpress!

Posted by: mr obvious | Nov 17, 2010 1:50:06 PM

Jeremiah Johnson? Cool.

Posted by: Grizzy Adams | Nov 17, 2010 1:52:46 PM

@ Smiley
The kind of fan who is a realist. Having been a PSL holder since the first season, I am completly fed up with the ownership of this team. I pay for my rights to complain every year. It is your right to disagree, but name calling does nothing but show your age. I am a fan of DW. I wish him nothing but greatness. It should be clear as a bell that JR is not paying ANYBODY their worth. He is the same as Shinn, a snake in sheeps clothing. As I have said many times, if he just passes on, it would be the best for all involved with the Panthers.

Posted by: JR-Sucks!! | Nov 17, 2010 1:55:26 PM

Darin
You're one of the dumbest reporters we have. He's not going anywhere, the panthers already expressed interest in re-signing him.

Posted by: dont worry about it | Nov 17, 2010 2:06:09 PM

I just think it'll be interesting to see who stays and who goes. Will see if J.Rich isn't a total tight(although at this point he is) by keeping our key players that our left here. Gotta say this much, John Fox knows he is on his way out cause he's having no problems putting every player of value on IR. Although at this point, it probably doesn't matter either way.

Posted by: Tman | Nov 17, 2010 2:09:25 PM

OK, the length of the IR list is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: J | Nov 17, 2010 2:10:00 PM

This whole team is a complete joke, there's no way in hell they sellout their remaining three games......I'll probably give my PSL's to the homeless guy on East Blvd.

Posted by: fhjaksdfhkjsdhf | Nov 17, 2010 2:22:53 PM

Fox extends his list of excuses. Foxy move.

Posted by: Ben | Nov 17, 2010 2:23:58 PM

See if Fox takes DWill with him...

Posted by: dw | Nov 17, 2010 2:33:45 PM

Homeless on East Blvd?? You must be thinking of Hwy 51. We in Dilworth/Myers Park do not let those types of people around our area. Bums smell and it tends to clutter my palate where I can't even tell the difference between Bordeaux and Burgundy!!

Posted by: Way-richer-than-u | Nov 17, 2010 2:39:53 PM

I'm as frustrated as anyone by this year's sad attempt at saving money and how it's impacted the win-loss column. BUT, the fact is JR has always spent the money in the past and will probably resume after this year. He's always butted his head on the salary cap ceiling. That's why he had to restructure so many salaries...to have enough room to sign more players. I'm sure it galls him to be paying $12m to Jake and he's not even here. So keep the faith....the Panthers will be in good shape going into next year to sign some good free agents. I expect them to do so.

Posted by: BlindFaith | Nov 17, 2010 2:44:01 PM

I wish that the Panthers would get their head out of their rearends and give Armanti the dang ball. He is a winner & KNOWS how to get in the end zone no matter what. What do they have to lose?

Posted by: Bryan | Nov 17, 2010 3:14:04 PM

Carolina have to have the worst medical staff in the league. I wish JR,Fox, and Davidson was put on IR boy they sure do need it.

Posted by: adam carter | Nov 17, 2010 3:24:06 PM

No way they let him walk they will tag him if he won't sign

Posted by: manu4t | Nov 17, 2010 3:24:37 PM

We should try to remember that if it weren't for J.R. there would be no Carolina Panthers. You may not like or agree with every decision that he has made and that's OK, but he was the one who brought the NFL to Charlotte in the first place!

Posted by: shocked | Nov 17, 2010 3:28:26 PM

Ok so i am a panther fan all the way...but im rooting for them to lose the rest of their games, and for buffalo to get just one more victory that would leave us with the number one pick. Andrew Luck anyone! We need consistent qb play and a franchise qb, and none of them are on the current roster.

Posted by: dissapointed | Nov 17, 2010 3:30:31 PM

yes darin, you're pretty stupid for suggesting that a free agent may end up on another roster. how dumb can you be?

Posted by: Jason Alston | Nov 17, 2010 3:31:24 PM

Panthers fans: Do not ever buy replica jerseys with actual player numbers on them. Just buy blanks, it's safer.

PS: Anyone want to buy a 55, 90, 17, or 34 jersey?

Posted by: ASU4EverLuvLuvLuv | Nov 17, 2010 3:32:36 PM

I lost a lot of respect for JR. He goes on the cheap this year to make a point and the only thing he accomplished is making his loyal customers (PSL owners) feel cheated and taken advantage of. He raises ticket prices and does not spend any money to make a point to fellow owners about NFL salaries. Yea, that sits well with us season ticket holders. I love spending my Sundays in the stadium getting blown out watching and hearing opposing teams celebrate another touchdown around me. Good luck D Will.

Posted by: Don | Nov 17, 2010 3:38:59 PM

Agreed - Armanti needs a chance out there to run some plays. I don't know how many people I have heard say that. What are they waiting for? ARMANTI, ARMANTI...!!

Posted by: SHASTY | Nov 17, 2010 3:57:45 PM

A foot sprain puts him out for the rest of the season? Some of the injuries lately seem to be a bit minor for the amount of time that players are staying out. Sounds like they don't want to play. I question why it is taking him so long to get better, along with Otah and Davis.

Posted by: RB | Nov 17, 2010 4:02:56 PM