« Final: Saints 34, Panthers 3 | Main | Big Monday: Moore, Connor, Davis to IR »

November 07, 2010

Latest loss strikes off-chord key with Smith

You don’t get any “500-pound gorilla” clichés with Panthers receiver Steve Smith.

No, the weight on the Panthers after their 1-7 start feels heavier than any ape, according to Smith. Try something bigger and even more unwieldy.

“It’s like dragging a piano with one arm and one leg. You ain’t getting nowhere fast,” Smith said. “That’s where we are.”

Smith is never been afraid to speak his mind or complain publicly for his own self-gain. So it should surprise no one that the 10-year veteran became the first player Sunday to say what the fan base has been saying all season: The offseason personnel decisions are “coming back to haunt” the Panthers.

The decision to let 12 veterans walk and go young hurt this team’s depth, if nothing else. That was exposed Sunday when the Panthers lost five players to injuries, including three starters, in the 34-3 loss to New Orleans.

Granted, having Na’il Diggs to plug in at linebacker when Dan Connor went down Sunday wouldn’t have prevented the 31-point loss. But having Jake Delhomme to send in for an injured Matt Moore or ineffective Jimmy Clausen might have helped.

Not everyone in the Panthers’ locker room sang the same tune as Smith, or at least weren’t willing to do so publicly.

“I don’t believe in that young team stuff,” safety Charles Godfrey said. “We still have to step up and want to play. It’s all about want-to. You have to want to be competitive. You have to want to win. If not, it just doesn’t happen.”

It sounded like Godfrey was questioning the effort of some of his teammates. Or maybe he was just frustrated, like everyone else associated with this team.

“It’s getting old. It’s past embarrassing,” Godfrey said. “We’re all men. A lot of us need to step up and play like we love this game.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on November 7, 2010 at 09:05 PM | Permalink

Comments

Who else is using Panthers Tickets as toilet paper???

Posted by: Falana | Nov 7, 2010 9:49:11 PM

If we had AVERAGE QB play, we would be just fine. Moore is playing like he is on the downslide of his career, and Clausen is playing like he is scared. Tony Pike is the only one who looked like he knew what he was supposed to do.

Posted by: Fox | Nov 7, 2010 9:56:38 PM

No QB from Manning, Brady, and Bress would succeed with this elementary school offense. No creativity at all.

The players needs to really question Fox and Davidson borning/predictable play calling( on offense mainly).

The defense will continue to suffer being on the field so long.

Fox had handcuffed every OC from Dan H, Cam C, and Jeff D(even though he sucked at Cleveland). Once Dan H and Cam C left, they had all the freedom to call their own plays.

Hired an offensive minded head coach, along an aggressive DC. This bend and don't break defense is silly to watch, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

Posted by: adam carter | Nov 7, 2010 10:09:17 PM

cam carmeorn was never with carolina adam

Posted by: jamie | Nov 7, 2010 10:59:51 PM

@ jamie

Thanks for the clarification, I made a mistake.

Posted by: adam carter | Nov 7, 2010 11:03:08 PM

@ adam no problem

Posted by: jamie | Nov 7, 2010 11:04:56 PM

fox be back for one more year and bring in another offens minded coach at offrnse cordiner

Posted by: jamie | Nov 7, 2010 11:07:48 PM

Panthers have the worst offense I have ever seen

Posted by: Catsackfever | Nov 8, 2010 6:38:52 AM

can anybody say marty schottenheimer

Posted by: cb | Nov 8, 2010 6:53:53 AM

Where are all those reporters for the mediocre "O", talking heads on the amateur hour sports radio, and armchair experts that wanted to run Jake out of town, etc.?

Posted by: Barry | Nov 8, 2010 7:41:57 AM

The offense is horrible and a major part of the problem is the design. I don't see Clausen as the answer. I would like to see more of Pike. I am not sure the problem is Davidson. The problem is Fox. I think they need to drop Fox and Davidson now.

Posted by: DJClifton | Nov 8, 2010 7:43:46 AM

@cb - Shotty would cost too much for Cheap Jerry. I expect us to hire one of the HS Football coaches.

Posted by: Ry | Nov 8, 2010 7:44:56 AM

Did you hear that, offense?? Looking forward to seeing the offense play with some passion and determination.

Posted by: ExActly | Nov 8, 2010 8:01:09 AM

Fox never has been an offensive coach, at least not at play calling!

Bring in Gruden!

Posted by: Dan Quayle | Nov 8, 2010 8:26:56 AM

I'm not the only one here who has watched this team since it's inception, I'm sure. My question is, does anyone believe that this is not the worst team in franchise history? Anyone? Not even the inaugural team was this inept. They are simply the worst team in the NFL. Period. And don't try to convince me that Dallas or even Buffalo wouldn't beat Carolina, as at least they can score. 11 points per game?! Pathetic.

Posted by: Panther Dan | Nov 8, 2010 8:32:55 AM

@pantherdan: I totally agree. The '95 team were actually overachievers, and the '01 1-15 team was even better. They led many games til the last minute and somehow found a way to lose. This is indeed the worst.

Posted by: I miss Hoov, Jake, Moose | Nov 8, 2010 8:52:26 AM

You've got to have Vets on the team...keeping only a couple is not enough. You have to have several more. The cost cutting KILLED us...

Posted by: RK | Nov 8, 2010 9:15:26 AM

I'm so tired of being upset by it all....which is my fault for I'm the source and cause of all my experiences...only I can make myself feel bad by my reactions to the Panthers. When taking completely responsibility for bing the source and cause of my suffering , it lessens considerably. No one ties me down and injects me with pissed-offness!

Posted by: EDDIELUCY | Nov 8, 2010 9:31:15 AM

Bring in Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck!

Posted by: jimmy#2 | Nov 8, 2010 10:01:16 AM

You know what??? ENOUGH with this "our defense is doing a good job" bull crap!!!!

They weren't on the field all day when the gave up 60 yards on the FIRST play from scrimmage - this entire team sucks donkey butt right now and it ain't gonna get any better! None of them are playing like they want to win with the exception of Anderson...

Our Defense (ESPECIALLY GAMBLE (our shutdown corner...lol) he couldn't cover my grandmother and she's been dead for 47 years!)sucks just as bad and is just as pathetic as the offense - I hope Richardson is proud of how he has ripped off every one of us season ticket holders...

Posted by: Flips256 | Nov 8, 2010 10:16:28 AM

Are we finally missing Jake Delhomme? I find this amusing. I hope the Panther fans aren't upset. This is what they asked for right? 98% of the Panther fans I talked to in the stadium on sundays wanted Jake benched or gone, right? You got what you wanted.

This team would be in the playoff hunt, if Jake were still here. We always were when he was behind center.

Posted by: Hooover45 | Nov 8, 2010 10:18:00 AM

Go Bobcats.....

Posted by: Jamaal | Nov 8, 2010 10:57:04 AM

You're all sleep walking! This team stinks! It's now beyond effort. It's beyond the play calling. The team is giving up one player at a time. John Fox is even packing it in. And I don't blame them.

I hope the rest of the home games are blacked out so I can plan better things for Sunday afternoons.

Posted by: FreddyP | Nov 8, 2010 10:57:52 AM

This team would be in the playoff hunt, if jake were still here.... lay off the pipe. this teams problems go much deeper than any hole jake could fill. Atleast he was competitive and played to win tho.

Posted by: zach | Nov 8, 2010 11:01:33 AM

This is what we got from an owner who took a Wal-Mart approach to the offseason. If there is no lockout he has destroyed this team and the only advantage to his moves was to his own wallet.

The people he should have cut loose were the coaches, not the players.

Posted by: manu4t | Nov 8, 2010 11:26:56 AM