« A chip shot, right? | Main | Teammate says Gamble benched for missing practice; Martin fined $40K »

November 29, 2010

Williams talks about his future

DeAngelo Williams just swung through the Panthers’ locker room and met with reporters for the first time since being placed on injured reserve with a mid-foot sprain on Nov. 17.

Williams, a first-round draft pick in 2006 and the franchise’s career rushing leader, had a couple of interesting things to say about his future. (Williams is eligible to become a free agent after this season.)

Williams said he’d like to stay with the Panthers, but “it’s not my decision, though.”

Williams lobbied for RB coach Jim Skipper, saying the status of his position coach could weigh heavily in his decision. Most assistants are not retained during a coaching change.

“I’m very comfortable with him. That’s the only running back coach I’ve ever played for. He understands me. I understand him,” Williams said. “So they’ve got all the pieces there. It’s whether or not they want to bring me back.”

Williams said the Panthers have other personnel needs that could determine whether he fits in the budget.

“I’d love to be a Carolina Panther. But if they don’t want me here – or not that they don’t want me here – if they have other things that they have to do,” Williams said. “Because there’s a lot of stuff that has to be done here, and they’ve got to address those issues.”

Despite the fact that the Panthers have three younger tailbacks under contract beyond this season, Williams does not believe the team has a glut of running backs.

“I think it’s a proven fact that you need more than a couple tailbacks to get through seasons sometimes.”

Mike Goodson has played well in Williams’ absence, posting back-to-back 100-yard games in his first two NFL starts. Goodson caught a career-high eight passes Sunday at Cleveland, and teamed with Jonathan Stewart for the Panthers’ best rushing performance (151 yards) of the season.

Meanwhile, Williams continues to rehab his right foot, which he says is close to 100 percent. He said getting healthy is his first priority.

“I have no idea what’s going to happen. I don’t even know if there’s going to be football next year,” he said. “I just know that I’m preparing myself to play football if it’s even possible for us to play. I’m trying to put myself in the best situation, to get my foot right.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on November 29, 2010 at 04:55 PM | Permalink

Comments

Ain't going to be back even though he is our best back.

Posted by: mister jones | Nov 29, 2010 5:17:43 PM

Ain't going to be back even though he is our best back.

Posted by: mister jones | Nov 29, 2010 5:17:43 PM

Ain't going to be back even though he is our best back.

Posted by: mister jones | Nov 29, 2010 5:17:43 PM

Ain't going to be back even though he is our best back.

Posted by: mister jones | Nov 29, 2010 5:17:43 PM

@ mister jones

How many time did you have post the same comment lol?

Anyway I franchise Williams to trade him, or sign him to a 3-4 year extension. I would wait to sign him long term to see how healthy he recover from injury.

Posted by: adam carter | Nov 29, 2010 5:26:06 PM

you would hope the panther keep fox and just hire a good O coach and get newtom or luck in the first pick

Posted by: william brazell | Nov 29, 2010 5:49:14 PM

if they are smart they keep all the backs and use the draft for linemen and a kicker

Posted by: william brazell | Nov 29, 2010 5:51:45 PM

Lmao wow, Cam N isn't worth the 1st overall pick. But it wouldn't be long before Luck or Newton will be thrown under the bus after 4-5 games.

They would not have success with this elementary school offense, Fox needs to go period. All he does is handcuff oc/dc into the play selection on both sides of the field.

Sutton would be a nice trade bait, 4th on the depth and is waisting his good years sitting behind Williams, Stewart, and Goodson. He needs a shot elsewhere.

Posted by: adam carter | Nov 29, 2010 6:32:43 PM

It would be a massive mistake to not resign him...people dont forget hes only 2 years removed from a 20 td season...This guy is a STUD...Might be a worse decision to let him walk for nothing than the Moronic PEPPERS BLUNDER...WE NEED A STAR RECEIVER. O-LINE HELP AND A D-END waaaaaay more than a QB...Put the peices around Clausen and the kid can be successfull...Remember Peyton Manning went 3-13 and threw 22 ints as a rookie...with a young Marvin Harrison to throw to...Clausen has a 31 year old Steve Smith and a bunch of bums on the other SIDE...GET AJ GREEN hes the next ANDRE JOHNSON...Oh and not to mention we have Jeff Davidsons creative playcalling too (THAT WAS SARCASM) Just give the kid a chance and dont run another QB out of town because of bad coaching

Posted by: Justin | Nov 29, 2010 6:59:37 PM

We need to keep 34.

Posted by: joro | Nov 29, 2010 7:12:27 PM

I think we should keep DeAngelo williams. I beleive 34,28 and 33 are a hell of a tailback trio. callem' "Triple Threat". we are a running team. You got two of the best and one (33) on the way to that level.

Posted by: roosevelt E.. | Nov 29, 2010 7:34:40 PM

@ Justin

They need DT(2 of them, one who is a run stuffer, the other who can generate pressure thru the middle). They are solid at DEnd.

"Clausen has a 31 year old Steve Smith and a bunch of bums on the other SIDE".

Gettis and Lafell has potential to be good receivers, so I wouldn't call them bums. The guards position from lg/rg needs to be fix.

What makes AJ G a star? Sure he is good in college, but don't you think we have to see how he performs at the nfl level first?

How is AJ Green the next Andre J? The dude hasn't even played a nfl snap let. Peyton M threw 28 ints as a rookie, just to help you out.

Posted by: adam carter | Nov 29, 2010 7:36:06 PM

@ roosevelt E

you are very correct!!!!been saying that all year long.we cant stop the run at all.

Posted by: danny | Nov 29, 2010 7:58:01 PM

I thought Stephen Davis was our running back coach or maybe assistant to Skip?

Posted by: AndOne | Nov 29, 2010 8:01:54 PM

I think we should try to get an Andre Johnson type of receiver like Alshon Jeffery. He has the size and ability just like AJ. But if we had a line to give our QB time to think, maybe he can hit any receiver we have cause it's been plenty of plays where we had people wide open but the line wont hold up long enough for the QB to find them. And also I don't understand why they wont give Edwards a chance to show us what he can do. They keep saying he hasn't grasped the playbook well enough, well then instead of letting he waste away on the bench untill he does, find out which play's he does understand and give him a chance to help the team with the one or two plays he knows.With the record we have, what can it hurt?

Posted by: Archie Brown | Nov 29, 2010 8:39:04 PM

I would give DeAngelo Williams a big payday. He fits into any system and is a great presence in the locker room. He is a threat to score at any time and he is still young. I would dangle J. Stewart as trade bait & hang on to Goodson & Sutton. I also hope they pick Luck if he comes out. He looks like a franchise changing type player to me. If Clausen can beat out Luck then we can eventually trade one of the two like the Chargers did with Rivers & Brees. If Luck starts then Clausen would be a good backup QB for a couple of years. Until we fix the QB position & get a real offense in here we will continue to stink like this. If Luck doesn't come out I hope the Panthers pick AJ Green as well. He looks like he's got a lot of game.

Posted by: Smiley | Nov 29, 2010 8:57:12 PM

Williams is getting more brittle and broken down by the year. 19 of 32 games in the last two years, and it won't get any better. Stewart is the better and more complete back, and he doesn't let ankle and foot sprains keep him off the field on Sunday.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Nov 29, 2010 9:01:42 PM

Should the Carolina Panthers resign Deangelo Williams and keep him?

,On my blog i just posted what i think the panthers should do with Deangelo Williams please let me know if you agree with me or not

Posted by: theshaqattack | Nov 29, 2010 9:28:36 PM

Posted by: theshaqattack | Nov 29, 2010 9:29:28 PM

we have problems both offensively and defensively, but offensively is far worse. so since we only have 1 pick until the 3rd round, we gotta pick offensively. that means either andrew luck or aj green, and we drafted 3 wr's last year. we cant just keep drafting wr and ignore elsewhere. we have a running game. we have NO passing game. we are last in points scored, we are last in passing yards, we are last in offense. we gotta go with andrew luck, and that doesnt throw away our pick on clausen, because every team needs a good #2 qb. but like i said, our problems are offensive, so with 1 pick until the 3rd round, we gotta go with offense. (unless we trade down, but thats an entirely different conversation)

Posted by: Ian | Nov 30, 2010 12:06:53 AM

The writing's on the wall for DeAngelo, unfortunately. Goodson's emergence gives the front office the perfect excuse to be cheap and let Williams walk. Stewart and Goodson are cheaper and still under contract for a few more years. I would be shocked if they pay D-Willy now. Which I wouldn't have a huge problem with if I didn't have so much doubt that they'll spend that money to fill one of our other holes rather than being cheap and ripping off the fans.

Posted by: DB | Nov 30, 2010 2:37:08 AM

Michael Procton:

DeAngelo stated his foot is just about at a 100%. If this was a season where the Panthers playoffs hopes were still alive DeAngelo wouldn't have been put on IR to begin with and would be practicing and playing this Sunday. So he wouldn't have missed as many games.

Stewart has just missed two games before this last one against the Browns because of a concussion. So let's don't act like he does't miss games too.

DeAngelo has missed more games since Stewart has been a Panther because he plays more and Stewart's seasons are shorter. Stewart has missed OTAs, TC and preseason games since he was drafted. Last season he didn't even practice half the time all season.

Because missing OTAs, TC and preseason Stewart never gets his game going to the middle of the season. Last year it was this way and by the way he played against the Browns rushing for 98 yards it's the same way this season. The first half of the season he was only averaging around 3.5 yards a carry. As for the more complete back, you're wrong again, it's DeAngelo.

Posted by: Out of town Panther fan | Nov 30, 2010 3:15:39 AM

I think D Will is right, the Panthers are not over loaded at running back. They should re-sign DW. The one thing the Panthers have not done is run him or any other running back into the ground. These guys, as long as they stay healthy will be able to play into their 30's because they are not getting worn down early in their careers. Depth is needed at that position because of the injuries that occur to running backs. I sure do enjoy watching D Will play. I have also enjoyed watching Goodson play the last 3 weeks. As a writer for either SI or the NFL said: This guy refuses to go down.

Posted by: DJClifton | Nov 30, 2010 7:50:08 AM

First of all: Forget about "Franchise and trade", there is no such thing! When you franchise you have a one year contract for a (near-)maximum at the position pay to trade. No one will give up anything valuable for that!

About 34. I love to see him a Panther (especially as Stewart, as Holt pointed out, has lost a step, most likely from playing hurt). I don't see it happen though, we have 2(3) other proven rbs so he is looking at maybe 3 million a year as a Panther? Not enough for him to stay.

Posted by: Thorrez | Nov 30, 2010 9:39:05 AM

Let him walk. Goodson did what he couldn't do in less games. I like Williams but he has really lost a step this year and he's only getting older. I have always thought that Stewart was the better of the two, more power with just as much speed. They need to address that O-line first and stop with this talk of Luck or Newton, let Clausen develop!

Posted by: D.W.G. | Nov 30, 2010 11:16:23 AM