« Local knowledge - Falcons edition | Main | Robinson suspended for violating substance abuse policy »

December 10, 2010

Beason back at practice; questionable for Sunday

Panthers linebacker Jon Beason returned to practice on a limited basis Friday after sitting out the previous two days with an injured knee.

Beason, who is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game against Atlanta, has been bothered by swelling in his knee for much of the season.

Asked Monday which knee was troubling him, Beason said: “Tell Atlanta both of them.”

Beason, the Panthers’ leading tackler, shifted from weakside linebacker to his more natural spot in the middle near midseason after Dan Connor broke his hip.

Panthers coach John Fox seemed optimistic that Beason would play against the Falcons, saying Beason was “progressing day to day.”

The same could not be said of CB Chris Gamble (hamstring) and OL Travelle Wharton (toe), a pair of starters who are doubtful after missing practice again Friday.

Wharton has missed the past three games with turf toe. Gamble was benched at Cleveland two weeks ago and was out last week at Seattle after he said he tweaked his hamstring.

The rest of the Carolina injury report: LB Nic Harris (head) is out; CB Captain Munnerlyn (shoulder), DT Ed Johnson (knee) and LB Jason Williams (knee) are questionable.

S Marcus Hudson (ankle) and Tyrell Sutton (ankle) are probable.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Comments

He be too busy at the strip club Uptown punchin people and being a thug and then being hung over.

Posted by: Tyleeka | Dec 10, 2010 2:57:13 PM

Jon, I hope you're okay #52 but you're killing me on fantasy football this week. It's first round of playoffs and now i'm on a guessing game on whether to start you or not. However, don't go hurt'n yourself we need you next year big man! I'll be there on Sunday sitting in the cold rain cheering for you guys like i always am. Go Panthers!

Posted by: justafan | Dec 10, 2010 2:57:51 PM

Play with heart. Atlanta is not the same team away from home. And NO PICK SIXES!!!!!

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Dec 10, 2010 2:59:58 PM

Matt Ryan and my FALCONS ROCK!!!

Posted by: Alexis | Dec 10, 2010 3:26:00 PM

Wow...

Posted by: Jrauhauser | Dec 10, 2010 3:30:40 PM

The only thug in charlotte is the kid who started the fight with jon beason.

Posted by: toby gerhart | Dec 10, 2010 3:36:10 PM

The only thug in charlotte is the kid who started the fight with jon beason.

Posted by: toby gerhart | Dec 10, 2010 3:36:12 PM

Tyleeka- you are dumb. Beason is a stand up guy.

I love Beason. I hope you are a Panther for a long time!

Posted by: Tyleeka is dumb | Dec 10, 2010 3:45:48 PM

Hey check out these DE stats
2009 Peppers 42T 10.5 sacks 2Int 5 ff
2010 Johnson 50T 7.5 sacks 1FF
Not bad, not some of the game changing plays Pep used to make, but more effort on more plays = more consistency and by years end he'll have matched Peps sack total.
2010 Brown + Hardy 44T 4 sacks
so overall the DE's have held up and Pep has 7 sacks for the Bears and 38T, so who is getting their money's worth? I'd say the Panthers are getting more for their $, far more than the Bears.

Posted by: Isaiah | Dec 10, 2010 5:02:13 PM

@Tyleeka - before you make these kind of outlandish remarks, you should know the person you are talking about, it would help. Panthers need to have 52 other players like Jon Beason on this team..They would win more games, and show a lot more energy. The passion, professionalism, heart, and the desire in Jon Beason is what makes him a (2) time Pro-Bowl player. What any of the players do on their own time, is their business as long as they are not breaking any laws. The (1) incident you are referring to, the guy in question was trying to start a fight so he could make it on the news. Jon Beason and other people at the event said, that no punches were thrown by Beason at this drunk in the building, at that after the guy left the building, he claimed he was hit by Beason after he accused Beason of taking drugs in the club, which also was unproven by the police and the Club mgmnt. This same drunk guy, a few weeks early tried to start a fight with another local celebrity.

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Dec 10, 2010 5:26:15 PM

@justafan - at practice today, Jon Beason said, he was playing Sunday. He has had this knee issue for most of the season. I will also be at the game, it will be miserable weather.. But I'll still be there to support the Panthers and boo the 'Dirty Birds'..!!

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Dec 10, 2010 5:29:26 PM

Holy geez-let the man sit. REST. Ain't worth it. Cowher needs you to run the show next year. Get healthy Beast!!!

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Dec 10, 2010 5:47:56 PM

Jon go fishing don.t worry be happy!!!!!!! you are going get to rest for a whole year! I hope you boys won't be to old to play when you are off strike!!

Posted by: boydsgrigg | Dec 10, 2010 5:48:33 PM

Take the weekend off Beas. No reason to risk injury. The season is over. Let your body rest. Get ready for next season.

Posted by: Not_You | Dec 10, 2010 5:49:34 PM

Anyone named Tyleeka is most likely a thug. The loser he punched (greg frye) is a Charlotte native with a history of being a dumb dumb dumb ass. Probably the most shady person I have ever come across. His own fraternity brothers think he's a loser. I wish Beason would just sit out the rest of the year to save from injury for next year...I mean what's going to happen? We lose? Oh no god forbid!

Posted by: chris | Dec 10, 2010 6:10:32 PM

@Fatty McButterpants - There is a better chance that Vince Lombardi will coach the Carolina Panthers next year that Bill Cowher. Cowher is not coming to the Panthers. You need to stop listening to these talking heads on the Radio stations.

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Dec 10, 2010 6:10:55 PM

Um, well no, considering Lombardi is dead and Bill Cowher, as far as I know, is alive and lives in Raleigh. So that's about the dumbest damn thing I've ever heard in my entire life.

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Dec 10, 2010 6:48:22 PM

LOL...as if Richardson will pony up the salary for a coach like Cowher.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 10, 2010 7:03:44 PM

Sarcasm is definitely lost on some people.

Posted by: Fatty McStupidpants | Dec 10, 2010 8:10:29 PM

There's sarcasm and then there is plain stupidity. Explain to me why Bill Cowher won't be coach here next year? Money? How the hell do you know what he wants and JRich will pay? What makes any of you clowns the foremost authority? Guy lives 2.5 hrs away and you have universally dismissed him as a head coach candidate. I personally tend to think he's a good candidate. That's my only point.

So stick your sarcasm points up your pooper jackweed. If I needed a 10 cent effort, I'd give your mother a call.

Posted by: Fatty McButterpants | Dec 10, 2010 9:01:03 PM

I agree, the name TYLEEKA=THUG. HAHAAHAH

Posted by: Amber | Dec 11, 2010 9:59:28 AM

When Lance was a boy, all he did was dream of singing...

Posted by: I love Lance Bass | Dec 12, 2010 11:00:09 AM