« Well, that was different | Main | Carolina Panthers owner Richardson to PSL owners: I take full responsibility »

December 05, 2010

Final: Seahawks 31, Panthers 14

Mojo's funny.

When you have it, it looks like you can't lose it. But when it goes away, there's no getting it back.

After dominating the first half, the Panthers blew apart at the seams in the second, losing 31-14 at Seattle.

The Seahawks scored 31 unanswered points, beginning with a meager field goal just before halftime.     That ruined what looked like an efficient display of football, the way the Panthers used to play it. They were running, they were converting third downs. They played defense for a moment, and the special teams were good.

But after halftime, it all disappeared, and with it perhaps the Panthers best chance at a win the rest of this season.

The loss drops them to 1-11, and keeps them firmly in control of the first pick in the draft. Buffalo, Cincinnati and Detroit all lost Sunday to fall to 2-10, but the Panthers aren't looking back at the moment.

-- Darin Gantt

Posted by Observer Sports on December 5, 2010 at 07:16 PM | Permalink

Comments

"Check-down" Clausen needs to take a few chances. I know he can throw more than five yards, I've seen him launch that ball at least twenty yards out of bounds a dozen times today.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 5, 2010 7:33:48 PM

Clausen just needs protection! I feel like he could be the answer..

Posted by: Juan | Dec 5, 2010 7:40:51 PM

Clausen is a coward...get him out of the pocket and into the stands it goes....Meeks is an idiot with his 3-man rushes at critical times, especially when pressure on Hassel... usually resulted in poor throws. All three phases in the second half stunk, including the coaching. Here we are again, about like it was in the Seifert era....now its likely to take another set of years to be competitive. Thanks Jerry for the mess!!!

Posted by: EDDIELUCY | Dec 5, 2010 7:40:54 PM

Clausen doesn't have the mental capacity to field a snap cleanly when he has to think about what the defense is doing. He's not the answer.

Posted by: Authority | Dec 5, 2010 7:46:49 PM

Read what CNNSI says about the Panthers: It is not just me as a PSL holder who knows the real truth behind this lousy season.
Their quote below:
I've got some family that lives in Charlotte, and though they are football fans, they haven't said one word to me about the Panthers all season. I can't really blame them. What can you say about a team whose owner decided to punt on the season back in March?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/12/01/nfl-power-rankings-week-13/index.html#ixzz17HuoyDMw

Posted by: PSL Holder | Dec 5, 2010 7:47:02 PM

I agree with Jeff. The o-line is a lot of the problem. I see improvements in clausen but it will take more time.

Posted by: Jimbo | Dec 5, 2010 7:47:55 PM

Darin, I'm not sure how you call leading 14-3 a "dominating" first half. "Dominating" would have to include at least 1 TD pass, a feat Clausen hasn't accomplished in his last 147 passing attempts and only 1 TD in a 166 attempts this season. His paultry 5.3 yards per completion is indicative of his poor field vision, poor decision making and mainly his lack of mobility. Is anyone else sick of seeing him roll out only to throw the ball in the stands when he gets a little pressure??? Until Armanti gets a chance, this team will continue to struggle offensively. He would turn those throw aways into big gains...both running and throwing!! PLAY ARMANTI!!!

Posted by: eman | Dec 5, 2010 7:49:36 PM

Posted by: eman | Dec 5, 2010 7:49:40 PM

Posted by: eman | Dec 5, 2010 7:49:57 PM

What you said about when you lose mojo it's gone. Don't tell the Cowboy's that :). They could have given up after the Colts came back, they didn't and they won. Also, the game meant nothing to them but pride, thats something the Panthers dont have or even care to have

Posted by: Teddy | Dec 5, 2010 7:51:05 PM

Never mind the O-Line, Clausen has not displayed the arm strength needed, (His 15 yard out seriously lacks velocity), he's shown zero leadership, and his play action fake is the most atrocious I've seen in 25 years. Career backup, end of story. He fell out of the 1st for a reason.

Posted by: DarthWaya | Dec 5, 2010 8:13:56 PM

Trade Armanti.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 5, 2010 8:15:00 PM

oh yeah, Armanti would destroy a pro defense the same way he used to destroy Elon's defense. LMAO

Posted by: jason alston | Dec 5, 2010 8:37:19 PM

You guys seem to forget that hes only a rookie...give him time...

Posted by: Juan | Dec 5, 2010 8:37:58 PM

I know Tony Pike is on IR for the rest of the season but what's kept him from playing before this?

Posted by: paul moloney | Dec 5, 2010 8:59:13 PM

Jerry, get on a airplane tomorrow and get a verbal commitment from Jim Harbaugh to come coach your team next year....After you win the Orange Bowl.....Then, come April, insist on Andrew Luck as a first round draft choice...A quarterback with brains....novel approach..Coach and quarterback know how to win and we get competitive again...This current team needs an enema...

Posted by: Dave Kempert | Dec 5, 2010 9:15:31 PM

Clausen's a rookie. How many rookies on rebuilding teams have looked good their first year? Both the Falcons and the Ravens had winning seasons a two years prior to their drafting Flacco and Ryan. They did poorly the years they drafted them because Vick was in jail and McNair's body fell apart. Sanchez went to a Jets team that won 10 games the year before he was drafted. Peyton Manning won 3 games, and Bradshaw and Aikman won only one game their first year. Freeman looked bad last year. The chances of Luck coming in and being awesome his first year are substantially worse than the chances that Clausen, who has improved in each game he's played, will work out as a starter. The very idea that the Panthers should scrape the two (possibly 3) QBs they drafted this year for another next year is idiotic. With needs at DT, OG, and CB, it would be irresponsible for the front office to give Luck an $80 mil contract and waste their only first day pick. Trade down if possible, if not, get the best player in a position of need.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 6, 2010 1:01:12 AM

We had a good team two years prior to drafting Clausen. We were 12-4. He has no excuses to fall back on. Aikman and Manning weren't even this atrocious as rookies.

Posted by: Nate | Dec 6, 2010 2:22:37 AM

Weinke was as atrocious and reamined so throughout his career here, you never felt like we were going to win with him. Same way I feel this season with Clausen. He just doesn't have that spark you need to see from a guy who can really play QB in the NFL.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Dec 6, 2010 2:42:54 AM

Very few rookie QBs are likely to "destroy" pro defenses when they first start playing.

But Edwards won't stand around like he's grown roots when the pass-rush closes in, and he won't be afraid to throw the ball down field.

It's not that people expect him to be superman his first time out; it's that the coaching staff won't give him a set of workable plays and the game time (even when the game is out of reach) to develop as a player. Coaches are paid to build skills, not waste them.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 6, 2010 5:21:02 AM

After seeing so many want to be fans CRYING they want luck or else.
I hope we draft a D line man or AJ green just so sum of you want to be fan will go away and shut the F@CK up.

Posted by: Fire Fox | Dec 6, 2010 1:24:03 PM

This taken from a Panther fan that was at the Seattle game last weekend.

"Armanti is not in the Panthers plans in any way shape or form. He stands alone. Holds his helmet when Carolina has the ball and sits on the end of the bench when Seattle has the ball. No one talks to him, with the exception of a couple guys not dressed out. He didn't look like sour grapes, he just looks like a guy who knows he's not gonna play, ever. I didn't see one coach even talk to him during the game. I will say this again and again, Jimmy Clausen is not any better than Armanti, he passed for 106 yards today with a nice pick 6 and zero escapablility. But he is big and slow and white, from Notre Dame. I can't say whether Armanti would be better, but we'll never know will we. And probably the saddest thing I saw today, was when the game was over, all the players walked to the middle of the field and shook hands. Armanti just walked slowly to the locker by himself with his head down. Was the only guy who didn't go to the middle of the field. I saw one of the non-dressed guys go up and put an arm around him right before they disappeared from sight. And that was that for my game experience. And before you get on him, you gotta figure, he doesn't know anyone playing for Seattle to go shake hands with and no one on his team really spoke to him, so what else is there to do but go get dressed.

I don't know why Carolina drafted him. More than that I don't know why they even bother having him dress out. His helmet didn't go on one time today. I know I'm a homer, hell we all are, but seeing Edwards walk to the dressing room like that was absolutely one of the saddest things i've seen in sports in some time. Even my girfriend said she felt saddened by it. I'm not being overly dramatic because i remind myself he is getting paid, but honestly, Armanti has never been a big rah rah guy and it looks like no one even wants him there.

...but as a player and a competitor, you know that it's not fun being somewhere where you aren't fitting in. Even if you are getting paid"
__________

Now I will be the first to admit I too am an APP homer as I graduated from there in '08 and saw Armanti play in every game at APP but you have to have a cold heart to not feel for him. I have been a Panther fan since the first game against Jacksonville in 1995 but I have honestly never been so frustrated with a sports team in my life. To say this season has been a disappointment is a severe understatement. This is not a cry for Armanti to play, I am over that at this point. It just amazes me that the organization would reach so far for someone during the draft only to not utilize the individual the following season. That my friends does not make sport logic, but this is the Panther organization we are faced with and because of this, the 1-11 record does not shock me.

Posted by: LTD | Dec 6, 2010 1:33:44 PM

JIMMY CLAUSEN SUCKS!! plain and simple. he is affraid to take a hit, cant throw the ball more then 5 yards and the reason we got him is bc he did not want that much money. we need coaches all around this offseason and when we do get another coach, dont be surprised when clausen is either 2nd 3rd or even a practice squad QB.

Posted by: smb316 | Dec 6, 2010 1:40:00 PM

when i saw clausen after halftime it was like he was getting paid to throw the game. there were times when he had WR's opened and all he did was look one way or no way at all. he cant even hold a ball and look down field at the same time.

Posted by: smb316 | Dec 6, 2010 1:42:19 PM

WHO WILL BE OUR NEW COACH???

Posted by: smb316 | Dec 6, 2010 1:43:31 PM