« Moore faces uncertain future | Main | Edwards doubtful, Gamble probable for Sunday »

December 16, 2010

Fox prepares for final home game

Some time around noon Sunday, John Fox will walk out of the tunnel at Bank of America Stadium and prepare to coach his final home game for the Carolina Panthers.

There has been no announcement from Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, and there won't be. But Fox has been a lame duck since the Panthers allowed him to enter the 2010 season without a contract extension.

Fox, who has a 72-69 regular-season record in nine years with the Panthers, needs to win one of the remaining three games to leave with a winning record.

With Carolina at 1-12 entering Sunday's game vs. Arizona, Fox already is assured of his worst record in 20 years as an NFL head coach or assistant. Fox's teams had never finished worse than 7-9.

Given that fact, Fox called it “a fair assessment” that his final year with the Panthers will go down as the most disappointing of his career.

Asked whether the struggles this year,with a team that was the NFL's youngest at the start of the season, would hurt his legacy or affect his ability to get another job, Fox said: “I know it has been a hard season. That is all I know. All of that other stuff gets worked out in the future.”

There has been speculation that Fox could be a candidate in Cleveland or with the New York Giants if those teams make a coaching change. Fox was the Giants' defensive coordinator before becoming the Panthers' coach in 2002.

He exits as the franchise's winningest coach. Fox led the Panthers to two NFC Championship Game appearances and took Carolina to its only Super Bowl during the 2003 season.

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 16, 2010 at 03:06 PM | Permalink

Comments

screw you, you suck

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 16, 2010 3:22:50 PM

screw you, you suck

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 16, 2010 3:22:50 PM

screw you, you suck

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 16, 2010 3:23:05 PM

screw you, you suck

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 16, 2010 3:23:14 PM

You can look in the mirror alright, and see a complete bafoon looking back. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Posted by: F-Fox | Dec 16, 2010 3:27:40 PM

Someone needs to not let handicapped children on the computer lookin at junky nuts. They might hurt themselves and no mexicans.

Posted by: timmy tebow | Dec 16, 2010 3:45:50 PM

“I think the staff, the players here and myself included I think we’ve done absolutely the best job we could possibly do. I will be able to look myself in the mirror when I walk away from here.”

Lol the absolute best job you and the staff could have done. Like what running the same plays every week and year? No adjustments, game planning, or develop young talent(Qb and Wr)?

I be in shock he gets a head coaching job elsewhere. If Greg W leaves the Saints he will be the defensive coordinator there.

@Junky nuts

What's up posting the same comment 4 times?

Posted by: mark smith | Dec 16, 2010 3:45:53 PM

It is what it is...

Posted by: RK | Dec 16, 2010 3:57:34 PM

We picked a bad season to have a bad season...

Posted by: RK | Dec 16, 2010 3:58:08 PM

Thank you for many good years Coach Fox. Such a bitter end to a great career in Carolina.

I for one will always be a fan. You may have your faults, but people seem to forget how abysmal this team was before your arrival.

Best of luck to you John; I will cherish the great teams you coached here. Thank you

Posted by: James B. | Dec 16, 2010 4:00:32 PM

you guys are idiots, the winningest coach in panthers history. What does that tell you? how are you about to blame this year on him? all the haters need to drink a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up.

Posted by: Bashar | Dec 16, 2010 4:01:41 PM

I hate it when children quadruple-post.

I hate it when children quadruple-post.

I hate it when children quadruple-post.

I hate it when children quadruple-post.

I don't doubt Fox has done the best he could. Problem is, his best would have been perfect in 1965. But the NFL is far different now and the game has long since passed him by. Still hoping we can talk Chucky out of the Monday Night Football booth.

Posted by: J | Dec 16, 2010 4:03:08 PM

"how are you about to blame this year on him"?

From always hearing how great of a coach he is he can't seem to adjust. Game plan along develop younger talent.

Can't win consistently but I guess it's okay to settle for mediocre at best? 3 winning season in 8 years with this veteran players he complained to the front office lol.

Posted by: mark smith | Dec 16, 2010 4:11:53 PM

To those who say Fox will not get another head coaching job. Id love to see him get a team, beat the socks off the Panthers, which would not be easy, and win the Super Bowl. Fans in Charlotte have no idea how to act as fans. You are the laughing stock of all sports. lol, The fans are so stupid, MLB laughs when someone say pro baseball to Charlotte.

Posted by: a real NFL fan | Dec 16, 2010 4:47:05 PM

"You are the laughing stock of all sports. lol, The fans are so stupid, MLB laughs when someone say pro baseball to Charlotte".

Well you are telling the truth there. Not all fans though, just the complainers.

Posted by: lol | Dec 16, 2010 5:15:59 PM

"a real NFL fan" you are ignorant and I welcome you to go back to where ever you came from.

Fox was a decent coach when he had veteran/ proven players and the league did not know what plays we were going to run (the first few years) It became obvious that he and his staff could not develop young players and he would not allow his coordinators to be creative in playcalling. for the past 3 years or so the whole league has know what we will run on offense and defense and it has shown.

Posted by: leonard | Dec 16, 2010 5:19:52 PM

Foxey I like what you have done, but what BigCat told me "HE DOES NOT THINK YOU ALL HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB"
So relook in the mirror for this final year. I know you were not given the best talent, but did you have your heart into it being a lame duck (with a arrow in your chest)?
It is time for a change, best of luck

Posted by: CP | Dec 16, 2010 5:35:59 PM

All these slow minded people who think the world of Fox please tell me something.
How is it a man who's all time record is right at .500, who has had 3 winning seasons out of the 9 he has coached, and who has never won the big game considered a success? He had great talent in his time here. He did nothing with it. We went to the Super Bowl DESPITE FOx, not as a result of his coaching. Fox will NEVER get a head coaching job again in the NFL. He will be doing very well to get a position coaching job. He simply does not have what it takes to produce a winner.

Posted by: FOXSUXCOX | Dec 16, 2010 6:01:49 PM

Everyone in Charlotte is a redneck even the poor northerners that move down for a better life. You are too poor to stay in your northern town. So you are no better than the southerners.

Posted by: timmy tebow | Dec 16, 2010 6:09:04 PM

we got the tie breaker with the bengals so sleep better panther nation.

Posted by: joe cool | Dec 16, 2010 7:15:26 PM

John Fox has everything it takes to be a winner. I will support him in his next head coaching position and he will have one despite those on here and anywhere who think otherwise. Yes, 3 winning seasons but the losing seasons weren't exactly deflating, with the exception of this season, which can't solely be on John Fox as we all very well know. He didn't suck the life out of the organization (Richardson is responsible). I will forever remember John Fox for turning this team around. You will see what he can really do when he is coaching for team ran by an owner not named Jerry Richardson. Our next coach and qb (Harbaugh and Luck) will return us to the Super Bowl but I hope Fox wins multiple Super Bowls before his time is up. He deserves it.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 16, 2010 7:44:05 PM

You gave me some good memories Fox!Whether these jerks admit it or not you gave them some too.It hasn't worked out the last couple of years and it's time to move on.I'm ready for change too,but you still have my respect... He's gone after this year you pathetic "fans".At least have some kind of respect you pathetic pukes.You make me sick.

Posted by: bryant80 | Dec 16, 2010 8:07:50 PM

Fox inherited an 1-15 & will be leaving us with a 1-15 team (Just for the #1 pick I hope)In other words he will be leaving the team in the same shape as he received it!!!REAL BAD! Should have been developing a young QB 3 years ago but stuck with Mr. Bojangles Pick 6!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Dec 16, 2010 8:46:43 PM

I'll tell you why I support Fox and why many others do to....every team he has put on the field has been able to compete with the elite teams in the league on any given Sunday. He and his staff brought pride and respect to this franchise.

Haters might respond by saying, "What about this year?"

No coach on earth could have put together a winning season this year with the talent we have now. NO ONE!

And another thing; does anyone who hates on Fox remember our team before he got here? Or have you not been fans long enough to remember that?

I remember a team that always laid down, a team that couldn't intimidate Perez Hilton...a team that no matter how many points they scored...would always give up more....

And a team that was a nonfactor...

Fox gave this team an identity as a team that would never back down....a team that would throw the first punch. A team with an attitude.

I hope we won't lose all of those traits when he departs.

So once again....Thank you John.

Posted by: James B. | Dec 16, 2010 9:00:22 PM

I love the Godfather-esque picture of Foxy and Armanti Edwards on the front page

Posted by: C00lToo | Dec 16, 2010 10:47:32 PM