« Teammate says Gamble benched for missing practice; Martin fined $40K | Main | Panthers place Pike on IR, promote QB Null »

December 02, 2010

Gamble talks about benching

Panthers CB Chris Gamble shed little light on his situation from last week, when he skipped practice following what a teammate referred to a “out-of-mind decision.”

Speaking to reporters for the first time since being benched last weekend at Cleveland, Gamble said several times he missed the Nov. 24 practice due to personal reasons, which he did not divulge.

“I just had some personal issues I was going through. I had to leave practice,” Gamble said Thursday. “I apologized to the team about it, and everything’s good now.”

Gamble was asked why he had to apologize to teammates for missing a practice for personal issues.

“I felt like I just let the team down for missing practice,” he said. “But I was going through something at the time with some personal issues. That’s why I apologized.”

Panthers DE Everette Brown said Gamble made an “out-of-mind decision” last week and was disciplined because of it.

Carolina coach John Fox has said repeatedly that his decision to bench Gamble was related to his performance. Gamble said Fox informed him he was not starting Saturday – a day before the Browns’ game.

“He just told me I was going to come in at nickel and that was about it,” Gamble said.

“I kind of struggled in the Baltimore game. So I kind of figured that’s where it came from. But I’ve got to just keep praying and play football and have fun like I know how to do.”

Gamble, the team’s third-highest paid player and the fourth-longest tenured player, admitted it’s been a frustrating season. He has gone 14 games without an interception, the longest drought in his career.

He sat out Thursday after tweaking his hamstring during Wednesday’s practice, but said he should be OK for this weekend’s game in Seattle.

“We’re 1-10. I wish it was the other way around,” Gamble said. “But it’s real frustrating around here. You’ve just got to keep grinding, keep moving on.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 2, 2010 at 02:18 PM | Permalink

Comments

Sounds like at least Gamble is being honest. Not as much can be said for Fox, Hurney, and worst of all Richardson.

Posted by: JustSellJerry | Dec 2, 2010 3:10:24 PM

Dear John Fox,
Please continue with the benching of starters.
Thanks,
Andrew Luck #1 Draft Pick and Future of the Panthers Franchise

Posted by: South Fla. Panthers Fan Club | Dec 2, 2010 3:36:16 PM

@South Fla. PFC - That sounds like the best game plan i've heard this season!

Posted by: Pantherz1 | Dec 2, 2010 8:22:21 PM

Looks like South Fla. Panthers Fan Club is full of morons.

Posted by: Moronic Fanbase | Dec 3, 2010 12:42:37 AM

Dear Moronic Fanbase,
Go #@!# yourself.
Best wishes,
Charlotte and the greater Carolina's

Posted by: South Fla. Panthers Fan Club | Dec 3, 2010 12:56:05 AM

A: Gamble should have been benched years ago. He's never actually been good.

B: I love the panthering panthers, but it's clear that Jerry is just trying to save money before the lockout that he thinks is coming.

C: If it wouldn't have alienated the entire fanbase, Jerry would have cut panthering steve motherpanthering smith too. he is over 30 and is actually good so this must be true.

D: Drafting Armanti in the 3rd round using next years 2nd round pick is almost the dumbest draft maneuver I've ever heard of.

E: @Moronic Fanbase: You are a panthering pantherfaced panther head, mother panther!

Posted by: ATX Panthers Fan Club | Dec 3, 2010 1:23:33 AM

Gamble definetly has the skills to get the job done, he probably just needs to get some stupid woman outta his head. He'll be fine.

Posted by: stork302 | Dec 3, 2010 9:05:55 AM

Looks like i hit a couple of nerves. The truth always hurts the morons.

Posted by: Moronic Fanbase | Dec 3, 2010 10:05:50 AM

could not agree more, keep the losing ways going and for the love of all things holy let andrew luck be here in 2011, PLEASE. I can take no more of clausen pickle.

Posted by: brendan | Dec 3, 2010 10:25:29 AM

"Andrew Luck #1 Draft Pick and Future of the Panthers Franchise"."I can't take no more of clausen pickle".

Oh don't worry after 4-5 games Luck will be thrown under the bus. Matt Barkely will be the next QB y'all want.

Posted by: mark smith | Dec 3, 2010 3:50:39 PM