« Wharton to IR, he makes 14 | Main | Fox prepares for final home game »

December 15, 2010

Moore faces uncertain future

Panthers QB Matt Moore popped in the locker room Wednesday, almost a month to the day since the surgery to repair the torn labrum in Moore's throwing shoulder.

Moore hasn't done much since the surgery, other than start on range-of-motion exercises. He will not resume throwing until March, when he may or may not have a better idea about where he'll be playing next season.

Moore, who is eligible to become a free agent, was asked whether his shoulder surgery would make for an uncertain future.

“You use the word 'uncertain.' The whole NFL's in some uncertain waters right now,” Moore said. “I'm truly and honestly not concerned with that right now. My No. 1 concern is my body. … I've got to get this thing healthy and we'll deal with contract stuff and all that stuff later, hopefully.”

The 26-year-old Moore made it clear that he wants to return to Carolina, where he's been since being claimed off waivers from Dallas before the 2007 season.

“I live here, man. This is my home now,” Moore said. “The people have been great to me football-wise in this building. I've had good experiences here. It's the only thing I know NFL-wise. … This is where I live. This is where I want to be.”

Moore went 4-1 in the final five games last season, a stretch that helped prompt team management to unload Jake Delhomme and install Moore as the starter. But he struggled in that role this year, throwing 10 interceptions in six games before injuring his shoulder against New Orleans last month.

Moore said he thought he had enough of a resume to attract interest from another team if the Panthers did not re-sign him.

“There's been some good. There's been some bad,” he said. “We'll see.”

--Joseph Person

Posted by Observer Sports on December 15, 2010 at 02:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

he should be our backup next year for andrew luck.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 3:04:02 PM

he should be our backup next year for andrew luck.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 3:04:02 PM

he should be our backup next year for andrew luck.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 3:04:03 PM

Cam Newton

Posted by: SYRPIS | Dec 15, 2010 3:07:13 PM

junky nuts,
did you stutter with your fingers or did you intentionally post that stupid comment three times?

Posted by: Denny's Owner | Dec 15, 2010 3:39:29 PM

Read the writing on the wall Matt. Consider yourself lucky. You are going to be able to get a job with a team that is commited to wining, unlike Mr. Fat Cat's bunch of inept fools on Morehead.

Posted by: Catsfan | Dec 15, 2010 3:46:44 PM

Panthers have to draft a franchise QB to improve. Fans will demand no less. #2 failed his audition and will drop to 3rd string. #3 would be a "veteran" back-up.

Posted by: Nosebleed fan | Dec 15, 2010 3:48:15 PM

Dump Clausen and Pike for whatever we can get for them.
Draft Luck (or Newton if Luck stays at Stanford).
Make Moore compete for job with the #1 draft pick above.
Bring back Delhomme (as #3 QB) for league minimum. When developing a young QB, you need a veteran with experience and leadership to help him. We didn't have that this year for any of our QB's. Even though Delhomme's playing days are behind him, he would be a great mentor for a young QB.

Posted by: SCPOAB | Dec 15, 2010 4:06:53 PM

If Delhomme can get 7 mil in 2010 some team will pay Moore about twice as much as the Panthers will in 2011. One decent game against a wretched 49's team ain't enough for the Panthers to keep him. I appreciate his 2009 games but there's no way he's worth the roster spot.

Posted by: swiznami | Dec 15, 2010 4:24:05 PM

"Dump Clausen and Pike for whatever we can get for them".

As much this fanbase say how bad Clausen sucks, I doubt you get a good draft pick for him. What trade value does Pike even have? None.

"Draft Luck (or Newton if Luck stays at Stanford)".

Draft Newton as the #1 overall pick? Wow might as well trade down to get him in the top 15-20 range. Luck will be thrown under the bus after 6-7 games.

Posted by: mark smith | Dec 15, 2010 4:33:54 PM

I remember Troy Aikman going 1-15 the first year he started playing for Dallas. Yet, he went on to win 3 Super Bowls and is in the Hall Of Fame.

Alot of Panthers fans are ready to toss J.Clausen under the bus for another rookie with no NFL starts. Just sad.

Every QB takes their lumps, but Clausen has no strong O-line and no timing with the WR's yet but you want to bring in someone new after just one year?

C'Mon Man !!!!

Posted by: Animal187 | Dec 15, 2010 4:34:33 PM

Bring back Jake he would be a good veteran mentor let the good guy retire as a Panther as well!

Posted by: Liz | Dec 15, 2010 5:09:19 PM

Amen to Animal 187's comment. Elway, Montana and Unitas wouldn't have fared any better behind our putrid Offensive line.

Posted by: swiznami | Dec 15, 2010 5:10:35 PM

just off the wire. Moore is going to Cleveland.

Posted by: dale | Dec 15, 2010 5:11:32 PM

I was referring to all three of the quarterbacks.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 5:17:56 PM

I was referring to all three of the quarterbacks.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 5:18:23 PM

I was referring to all three of the quarterbacks.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 5:19:28 PM

I was referring to all three of the quarterbacks.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 5:19:52 PM

I was referring to all three of the quarterbacks.

Posted by: Junky nuts | Dec 15, 2010 5:20:18 PM

I think rookie John Elway and Joe Montana would be just fine behind this line. Have you ever noticed their is always lots of pressure on bad quarterbacks. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady don't have the best o-lines in the world. But they get the ball out to the open receiver before the defenders get there.

Posted by: James | Dec 15, 2010 5:26:11 PM

Moore if you can get free - RUN!! Charlotte is a blackhole for QBs. The idea of being Clausen's gofor next year would be terrifying.

If I were the top QB pick for 2011 and got drafted by the Panthers, the thought for Grad school would actually cross my mind.

Posted by: Plowboy | Dec 15, 2010 5:27:28 PM

You heard it here first...
The Panthers will NOT draft a QB this year. Clausen will be our #1 heading into next season, with a newly (cheaply) signed Moore as his backup. I don't like it, but that's probably how it will shake out. The new coach will say and pretend he can win with Clausen. Hurney will buy that line. JR will like it because it is a money-saver

Posted by: Stumpy | Dec 15, 2010 5:39:40 PM

I wouldn't mind Moore staying as the backup QB.

Posted by: Jerad | Dec 15, 2010 5:50:01 PM

If Kolb is traded away from the Eagles, Moore should head there. Andy R will develop Moore something Fox couldn't never do.

Posted by: mark smith | Dec 15, 2010 6:07:15 PM

So to people like stumpy who are freaking out about JR being cheap.......you must have only been a fan for a few years...because this is a breath of fresh air. I'd rather suck with rookies and get the top pick than throwing millions at washed up vets......i.e. Chuck smith, Reggie white, Eric swann, keyshawn johnson, Doug Evans, Sean Gilbert, adam meadows, nation means, all that ever got us was a crappy record and a mid first round pick so we could drafts winners like rashard Anderson and are carruth

Posted by: Tom p | Dec 15, 2010 6:30:50 PM